Breed Help Please!

Xyz

Hi, trying to think of a suitable breed choice for family please.

History- great pet owners, dog will be inside /outside, not much time home alone. 'Home' is a large cattle property, but don't want a 'working dog' , will be companion only. Hanging out with owners wife who is very keen gardener, out in ute with the boys, walking in the paddocks.

Have previously had cattle dogs and bull terriers.

Size- something not too small or large, 10-30kgish.

Coat- must be short.

Would be good to have a 'guard' bark , but not a yapper!!

Thanks in advance for suggestions!!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking the hound group too but the other side, scent hounds. Might be harder to get though, I think the larger (than beagle) scenthounds aren't as popular in Australia. I'm thinking along the lines of a foxhound or harrier.

Maybe a Ridgeback?

I think a Dally would fit too.

Edited by LisaCC

With regards to the short coat are they prepared for shedding? Dalmatians shed twice a year….6 months in the Autumn and 6 months in the Spring :D Of course I love my Dally and my Gundog breeds but you have to be prepared to put up with their breed tendencies…on the upside they love to garden too :laugh:

I was going to suggest Vizsla.

The couple i have met have fit the bill perfectly.

But be prepared to share the couch also :D

And i am basing that off my knowledge of only a few dogs, more experienced people may well come in and say not suitable, but i think they could be worth looking in to :)

Labrador all the way. Ernie can happily stay outside on his own or shadow me round. Great bark when he senses something out of the ordinary. Lets kids and puppies abuse him without complaint. Adores people, happy all the flipping time and as long as you give him a decent walk where he can sniff and explore and trot around --- won't dig or chew. And affectionate as all get out.

Shedding? Well he's brown so I think it's less noticeable than the lighter ones but honestly, I give him a going over with a Furminator once a fortnight, brush him daily when he's at my feet watching tv with a coat rake and a slicker - and it's not too bad. Oh but he does get stinky when he's wet -- he does smell like a dog. I'm using a all natural coat spray on him though and he's quite personable. My car on the other hand... Smells of wet labrador.

Edited by Stressmagnet

a retired greyhound. They're often under 30kgs.

On the back of a ute :eek:

Xyz most have terrible recall and while there are greys out there that will guard bark it's not a common trait. You get a greyhound taking off in a paddock at around 70k's an hour good luck catching it before it does itself an injury, those long legs can break easily and they have skin like tissue paper. Not sure a greyhound would suit this situation.

Greyhound. I have a friend on a 100 acre farm who has had several greyhounds over the years and many, many fosters. Has a fully fenced house yard of about 2 acres, cattle fencing with a hot wire. Greys hang out with her while she gardens, they get taken for daily walks through the empty paddocks, swim in the dam, hang out in the ute while getting wood etc. Does have fully enclosed dog yards for when they are away for a couple of hours as their very first grey was a climber in foster care but never at my friends place. Those dogs live the life of Riley with my friend.

a retired greyhound. They're often under 30kgs.

On the back of a ute :eek:

Xyz most have terrible recall and while there are greys out there that will guard bark it's not a common trait. You get a greyhound taking off in a paddock at around 70k's an hour good luck catching it before it does itself an injury, those long legs can break easily and they have skin like tissue paper. Not sure a greyhound would suit this situation.

Just have to watch for hidden kangaroos laying down in hollows of going for an early morning walk. 15 years of owning and fostering greyhounds and early morning walks and my friend has only been caught out once.

You have had a bully and aren't smitten :laugh:

Cattle and bully, my 2 dogs atm, cant go wrong! dally i just lost mine, wonderful breed , but shed like nothing i have ever seen!

i second rottie?