I Met A Tamaskan

Kirislin

At the Twilight show at KCC last night. Very big, very chilled out dog. Only 4 in Australia, all males. Talked to the owner for a while, it was very difficult, and I assume very expensive to bring him out. DNA tested to prove there's no wolf blood in him. His name is Rook. I'm not interested in the arguments about these dogs, I'm just posting for interest sake because not many of us will have seen a dog like this other than in photos. He's a handsome fella isn't he.

23250372490_5d25a02606_c.jpg5F6A4588dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

23437564642_8e89ec2ca5_c.jpg5F6A4590dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Wowsers. He's a big boy and very impressive looking. Do you know why only males have been imported?

No sorry, I dont. She must really love him to go to all that expense for a pet because I got the impression it cost alot more than it normally would to import a dog.

Edited by Kirislin

I have looked all through the ANKC site to try and find the breed standard for this dog.

It appears as though it may not be a recognised breed in Australia, unless the registration of this breed may be pending. Can somebody help in this matter.

I have looked all through the ANKC site to try and find the breed standard for this dog.

It appears as though it may not be a recognised breed in Australia, unless the registration of this breed may be pending. Can somebody help in this matter.

His owner told me they're not recognised in Australia

Wowsers. He's a big boy and very impressive looking. Do you know why only males have been imported?

No sorry, I dont. She must really love him to go to all that expense for a pet because I got the impression it cost alot more than it normally would to import a dog.

Except for the possible DNA test it wouldn't have cost her any more then any other dog to import. Travel costs, wait times, health test etc can vary a lot depending on which country they are exported from but not because of the breed.

I found reading the breed standard and breeding restrictions interesting. As we have been talking colour in another thread this was what caught my eye:

"At present, white (cream: e/e) is a non-accepted coat color for the breed and a disqualifying fault for showing; however, registered white colored Tamaskan Dogs may currently be used for breeding if they really are the best representation from their litter combination. Our aim is to gradually eliminate this coat color over time without unnecessarily narrowing the gene pool in the process.

At present, solid black (recessive or dominant black), liver (b/b), piebald (extreme white spotting S/S), and dilute blue (d/d) are non-accepted coat colors for the breed and are disqualifying faults for showing. Tamaskan Dogs of this color may not be used for breeding."

As they are farsighted enough to recognise limiting the gene pool can be risky I was then surprised they totally eliminate other colours. They are trying to breed a dog that looks very much like a wolf. Part of their standard requires each dog to have a mask (like a wolf) but wolves come in black so would be interesting to see why that colour can't be used for breeding. I understand the dilutes and white spotting being refused.

The website was a very interesting read.

Edited by Rebanne

Beautiful photos K,he's a lovely big fella isn't he.

Yes, he was really very tall and long.

I told her about our whippet fun days so she might come along next year, I'd love to get some shots of him running.

Edited by Kirislin

His owner told me they're not recognised in Australia

Thank you for that.

I imagine they would be great as 'Hollywood dogs ' in that they could play wolves without actually being one . Much easier to train a dog than a real wolf . Over the years I have seen enough malamutes and huskies being used as wolves to see there is a need for a more realistic looking dog .

Gorgeous animal .

I imagine they would be great as 'Hollywood dogs ' in that they could play wolves without actually being one . Much easier to train a dog than a real wolf . Over the years I have seen enough malamutes and huskies being used as wolves to see there is a need for a more realistic looking dog .

Gorgeous animal .

I've even seen GSDs being used to portray wolves. Funny! :laugh: