I Am An Expert On Giving Meds:

PS good to know about the nutrigel - I hope I never need it for any of my hounds.

I hope so too, but don’t be afraid of it :laugh: It is a great stand by. If Danny or Tamar have had a day where food intake has been minimal and there are no signs of anything untoward, I will give them a little bit. My dogs are small so they will get maybe 1/2 teaspoon.

So its not always black and white - just as mine have had accidentally had cooked onion and suffered no ill effects.

Exactly, Westiemum. Everything has to be made into a huge drama these days. Many years ago I used to be a fan of some brand of chocolate mousse and always gave a little lick to my dogs. So much of the scare campaigns (and the promotional campaigns) are nothing more than that: campaigns to get you to buy or not buy and there isn’t always much truth behind any of them.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DD keeping a tube on hand is a good idea. Sarah will be 15 in July and shows no signs of depressed appetite but she is getting older...

And yes I think we are all getting to the stage of overthinking a lot about dog stuff - since when did you need a PhD to feed a dog well? I'm wondering if the 'cotton wool kids' syndrome is also extending to our dogs? (Sorry for being a bit off topic!).

1458960426[/url]' post='6799080']

DD keeping a tube on hand is a good idea. Sarah will be 15 in July and shows no signs of depressed appetite but she is getting older...

And yes I think we are all getting to the stage of overthinking a lot about dog stuff - since when did you need a PhD to feed a dog well? I'm wondering if the 'cotton wool kids' syndrome is also extending to our dogs? (Sorry for being a bit off topic!).

Oh it definitely is.. So many cavalier owners in a facebook group I am in don't walk their dogs for fear of ticks etc. yes it's a chance they may get it, and they may die if you then don't check them over, but that's no reason not to walk them..n

Oh it definitely is.. So many cavalier owners in a facebook group I am in don't walk their dogs for fear of ticks etc. yes it's a chance they may get it, and they may die if you then don't check them over, but that's no reason not to walk them..n

That is beyond ridiculous. I reckon some of them might be giving themselves an excuse for not getting off their butts :( .

A long time ago, my teeny tiny little Maltese was diagnosed with congestive heart disease. That afternoon we were visiting where there were two more Maltese dogs. They were all running around like crazies with Calypso hot on their tails. Despite my fears for her, I thought to myself: I’d rather she go out having a great time rather than be deprived of any fun.

everything in the right quantity can be toxic.

Even water. Or oxygen. Ie breathing pure oxygen and nothing else for extended period of time will kill you. As will drinking too much water > 2 litres an hour or 12 litres in a day - something you'd do if you were hiking in hot weather.

So my dog got raisins yesterday but seems fine. Every now and again she eats cooked chicken bones and is fine.

I do remember giving previous dogs cooked lamb chop bones with no noticeable problems but I would not give my current dog these tho she has occasionally eaten something equivalent.

And we've had icky problems with raw chicken wing but not so bad we needed a vet. Frozen works better. She has to break it up to swallow if it's frozen.

I guess we know more now and we get more paranoid. Vets get to take bones out of dog throats on a very regular basis. But that doesn't happen every time a dog eats a bone.

wrt my comments: I don't get the twist from these comments to 'cotton wool kids'...I actually treat our dog pretty 'tough', or better: I treat her like a dog...and that's the reason why I only feed her food that is meant to be for dogs. She doesn't get scraps from the table, no ice cream and the like. If I need a special treat, I use chicken liver...it is cheap and I can mix it with normal kibble so the kibble absorbs the moisture and makes it less messy...I never saw the need to feed her something made for humans that might or might not create some long term health issues.

Edited by Willem

wrt my comments: I don't get the twist from these comments to 'cotton wool kids'...I actually treat our dog pretty 'tough', or better: I treat her like a dog...and that's the reason why I only feed her food that is meant to be for dogs. She doesn't get scraps from the table, no ice cream and the like. If I need a special treat, I use chicken liver...it is cheap and I can mix it with normal kibble so the kibble absorbs the moisture and makes it less messy...I never saw the need to feed her something made for humans that might or might not create some long term health issues.

To each their own dude. ;)

But there is a certain something to be said for sharing "contraband" with your dog.

Yes because intensively raised chickens and kibble are so natural.

Phoebe has gone on a hunger strike while we are away for the Sydney Royal. Tomorrow I am going to buy her hamburger mince and cook it and add pasta or 2 minute noodles to it. The tin food I bought away with me to add to her dry is not tempting her at all. We can do tough love after she puts on 3 kilos and we are back home. Might get some nutrigel to get her back on track

A friend of mine used to give her two GSD's a freddo frog almost every day. Not something I'd do but they suffered no ill effects. I never feed chocolate but I've heard a very experienced vet say a little bit of milk chocolate is usually harmless. So yes we need to be careful but maybe not panic too much when dogs get into things etc.

Like I said I don't feed grapes/raisins, chocolate or macadamias, but my dogs enjoy the occasional party pie or lick of my ice cream ;)

You do mean to say that wild pet dogs don't hunt kibbles in the wild?

SSShhhhhhh! Next there will be safari parties for canned kibbles.

LOL

...no worries, sometimes she also gets natural, fresh hunted and definitely cotton wool free rat liver...

post-54054-0-61115600-1459029334_thumb.jpg

Edited by Willem

:laugh:

...no worries, sometimes she also gets natural, fresh hunted and definitely cotton wool free rat liver...

post-54054-0-61115600-1459029334_thumb.jpg

I hope she gets wormed regularly... ewww!

T.

I hope the rat hadn't eaten poison

we don't use rat poison, and the neighbours have dogs too (except of one)...so it's not likely - I'm more worried about Toxoplasmosis and other parasites they can carry, so normally I dispose the rats and mice if I catch her catching one...

I hope the rat hadn't eaten poison

we don't use rat poison, and the neighbours have dogs too (except of one)...so it's not likely - I'm more worried about Toxoplasmosis and other parasites they can carry, so normally I dispose the rats and mice if I catch her catching one...

Mac doesn't eat them, he disposes rats without human intervention

usually behind the sofa cushions