Purchased Dog But Previous Owner Wants Back?

Remidog

If the online ads are still active, it's possible they want the dog back because they have been offered a better price. If you have paid for the dog she is legally yours, I presume you asked for a receipt?

Oh just read back in the thread and have seen you do not have a receipt :(

Be careful, if you decide to return the dog ask them to deposit the funds into your bank account and only return the dog when the funds are cleared. Also, have you sighted the dog's paperwork? Is she theirs to sell? Be particularly mindful that in a court of law, the person to whom the dog is microchipped is not always deemed to be the legal owner.

Edited by trifecta

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely keep the dog. I don't know why, but something just doesn't sound right to me

The thing that doesn't seem right is the flip flopping around on a very serious decision by the original owners.

I'd just want to be as far away from that as I can get. I suspect they will flip flop again if they take the dog back - for the same things that are the reason for giving the dog up - have not changed.

It's a bit like when you see an ex that you broke up with for good reasons - and they seem attractive again but nothing has changed and if you go back there - doomed to repeat.

That's why I figure maybe OP give them two weeks to decide properly... and if they decide to keep the dog then - OP (opening poster) is well out of it.

Hello everyone! We gave the dog back :( after the messages we received today we realised that they weren't coming to the meeting to tomorrow to see that she was in a good home etc but that they would be trying to convince us to give her back. We ended up calling them today and saying they could pick her up this evening. We felt we would be constantly worrying over the next few weeks that the dog might disappear or something and we also felt guilty that they were missing her so badly. I guess they just didn't understand the weight of their decision until they went through with it. We are sad, frustrated and annoyed about the situation but also empathetic as we can see why they love her so much and why they would really miss her. Hopefully she stays with them for the rest of her life and she has the life she deserves.

As for us, we have been in contact with some breeders, one of whom has puppies ready in a few weeks. We didn't super want a tiny puppy so are thinking it over before we decide. Thank you again for all your help :)

This has really sucked for you Remidog. I really hope that you find a new doggy friend very soon.

Thank you! And yes, it does suck. I can't believe I'm in tears over a dog we only had for 48 hours! Hopefully we find another furry friend soon

Thanks everyone. I'm sure we will find the perfect dog soon. I've looked on the available adult dogs on this site but there are none in my state and we don't feel comfortable with purchasing an adult dog without meeting it. But I'm really hopeful the right dog will come up soon. I've spoken to some breeders and may even check out some shows/club/events.

Thanks everyone. I'm sure we will find the perfect dog soon. I've looked on the available adult dogs on this site but there are none in my state and we don't feel comfortable with purchasing an adult dog without meeting it. But I'm really hopeful the right dog will come up soon. I've spoken to some breeders and may even check out some shows/club/events.

I think you've done the most sensible thing for your family, even if it was really difficult.

I know you said you didn't want a tiny puppy but what about the 4 month old girl in WA? She looks pretty cute.. :provoke:

I am very sorry you have been put through the wringer. It is completely unfair.

Okay so they may not have realised the gravity of the situation until she was gone.........maybe. But she was advertised for a length of time, not a day. Surely they would have to actually arrive at the decision to put the ad up after much soul searching. Not to mention meet and greet hand over etc.

Their behaviour is appaling. Multiple messages basically bullying you into returning their dog. I hope you told them their behaviour was not acceptable.

What nasty selfish people they are. Wearing you down till you caved, they are lucky they didnt sell her to someone who told them where to get off!

If you dont really want a pup, dont rush into getting one, breeders don't always list the older dogs they have for sale so its worth asking.

Have you been into the GSD thread to get advice on where to look? ISH would be a good place to start.

hugs to you today, you did a good thing, shame on them. :(

What nasty selfish people they are. Wearing you down till you caved, they are lucky they didnt sell her to someone who told them where to get off!

If you dont really want a pup, dont rush into getting one, breeders don't always list the older dogs they have for sale so its worth asking.

Have you been into the GSD thread to get advice on where to look? ISH would be a good place to start.

hugs to you today, you did a good thing, shame on them. :(

Yep couldn't have said it better myself juice. And they are damn lucky they didn't run into me.

Hello everyone! We gave the dog back :( after the messages we received today we realised that they weren't coming to the meeting to tomorrow to see that she was in a good home etc but that they would be trying to convince us to give her back. We ended up calling them today and saying they could pick her up this evening. We felt we would be constantly worrying over the next few weeks that the dog might disappear or something and we also felt guilty that they were missing her so badly. I guess they just didn't understand the weight of their decision until they went through with it. We are sad, frustrated and annoyed about the situation but also empathetic as we can see why they love her so much and why they would really miss her. Hopefully she stays with them for the rest of her life and she has the life she deserves.

As for us, we have been in contact with some breeders, one of whom has puppies ready in a few weeks. We didn't super want a tiny puppy so are thinking it over before we decide. Thank you again for all your help :)

Ohhh :(

I do hope they will now treat her as someone to be treasured . :hug:

This has really sucked for you Remidog. I really hope that you find a new doggy friend very soon.

Thank you! And yes, it does suck. I can't believe I'm in tears over a dog we only had for 48 hours! Hopefully we find another furry friend soon

This is why I disagree when people say that you’d only had her for xx hours and could not have bonded. It can take just seconds to bond with a dog.

However, it has happened, it has been a sad and difficult experience for you and your family and one that I, certainly, would not wish on anyone. You have shown yourselves to be caring, empathetic and generous of heart.

Went you finally have a very lucky dog join your family, I am sure I speak for many when I say I hope you keep us updated as to your search and stories and photos of the dog you finally adopt.

I think you've done the most sensible thing for your family, even if it was really difficult.

I know you said you didn't want a tiny puppy but what about the 4 month old girl in WA? She looks pretty cute.. :provoke:

She was 4.5 months in august...wouldn't that make her about 6.5 months old now if she is still available?

https://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/german-shepherd-dog.asp?state=WA

and if available, after a meet, chat and think about it - probably be more like 7+ months old when bought ... :D