Should a dog eat one or two meals a day? Opinions please

Kazm

I have always fed my dogs once a day in the late afternoon. Other people I know feed a little in the morning and a little in the afternoon. Just recently though I have heard that feeding morning and afternoon is better as it puts less stress on the kidneys and therefore lessens the chance of kidney disease. Now that I just have one dog ( said goodbye to my other girl last week) I am open to all suggestions on how to elimate the chances of any illness. 

I have also fed my girls on a fresh food diet and they do eat all kings of different vegetables but I have read recently that sweet potato is very good for them. How should this be cooked, just boiled? And all opinions on both subjects is very welcome.

i always feed mine twice, perhaps its putting a human spin on it but seems along time to go without food otherwise.

Mine get their main meal at tea time and brekky is just a couple of greyhound biscuits and perhaps an egg or sardines .

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss of the other dog ZM.   :flower:

I feed mine twice a day, and now she is getting old, I also give her a small snack right before bed with her dose of Golden Paste on it.   I feed a slightly smaller breakfast too.  

If I am having sweet potatoes myself, I just steam them, so my dog gets a little bit, probably 1/2 a tablespoon, as I read that too much can cause stomach problems (runs etc) due to the fibre content.

• Like 1

Twice on the advice of a  vet. Breaks the day up, spreads the nutrition. Might be 'humanising' but works for us. 

Contrary to my current vets advice I sm currently  feeding meat in the AM so i know he'll eat it quickly before i keave for the day & his dry & some extra meat at night so he can graze if he wants as he wont eat if im not around...

• Like 1

Our veterinary behaviourist recommends two or even three times a day. It helps keep blood glucose levels steady which in turn aids behaviour.

When feeding multiple times a day it's important to be careful not to overfeed. I portion out my dog's food at the start of the day then feed from that portion. :)

• Like 5

My 3 dogs and 2 foxes get fed once a day... late afternoon or early evening, depending on what time I am home.

I think certain illnesses/diseases just happen, regardless of how careful we might try to be with how we care for our dogs... try not to overthink it - and certainly do NOT blame yourself!

Certain breeds can be more susceptible to certain issues though... schnauzers with kidney issues, for example... so in that case, lower salt content would be a good start.

T.

Edited by tdierikx
  • Like 1

Thankyou T. Trying not to over think things as you say. Just been listening to other people's views recently and it's just got me wondering. My Molly would love several meals a day. She only ever thinks of her belly. Lol Seriously considering changing to 2 meals but I will certainly keep in mind the portion sizes as I don't want to overfeed. 

Yes, I do know about keeping the salt content low as well as the protein apparently

Edited by Zena's mum
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Our veterinary behaviourist recommends two or even three times a day.  ....

That's my belief, and it was vet's suggestion to me over 20 years ago, so is not "new-think".

I'm sure it's especially good for the oldies to give them something to look forward to a little more often.  I try for three, and if not going to be home for the middle feed, still manage two.  A little something before bed-time is quite good too, and that's been suggested on dol recently, ?something about stomach acid having something to occupy it.

Being aware of the total for the day is important as other posts above note: but it's hardly rocket science to work out, same as including training treats in a daily total. 

• Like 2

I've always fed two meals a day [except when pups and they get like 3-4 small meals].  I just find if i don't feed 2 meals I have the boys doing bile chucks as they're running on empty.  Also, usually feed 12 hours apart, so if fed at 8am the evening feed is 8pm etc.

Edited by Kajirin
  • Like 1

I feed one meal in the evening BUT my dogs get quite a bit of training...up to 3 short sessions on a good day but I always try to squeeze something in....recalls on free runs or around the house, body strengthening, core conditioning, stretching, agility, retrieving, foundations....anything really!  I use a high rate of reinforcement - tug and food. Pups get stuffed food toys, scattered food and RMBs. 

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I feed once in the evening but max gets a 'treat' every morning which is deducted from his daily ration. It's what works for him as he's not hugely food motivated so he won't eat his meal if he's not pretty hungry - and he would hassle the cats for theirs much later (he gets his at 6, the cats at 9)

3 hours ago, PossumCorner said:

Being aware of the total for the day is important as other posts above note: but it's hardly rocket science to work out, same as including training treats in a daily total. 

Hahaha you'd be surprised PC, from what I've heard from vets! :eek: