Jump to content

Is there a chew toy that would be suitable to be left inside crate all night?


Recommended Posts

I’ve never let my dogs have chew toys in their crates at night as the ones they have are quite hard and they have warnings saying not to leave the dog unattended with the toy. I’ve had beautiful timber and rebar crates made and been using them for a few months now and have just found that my daughter’s dog has started chewing on the wooden corner of her crate :cry: so I’m wondering if there’s a chew toy that would be safe to let the dogs have all night when they are in their crates. I’ve found a recipe for white vinegar and apple cider vinegar spray that is supposed to deter chewing but as it’s for the area where they have to sleep, I’m concerned that the smell might make it uncomfortable for them and they’ll begin to hate the crates. Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

DF97736D-A81E-4500-A20E-08F63AF03B4F.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

No help with the toys :) but there's a bitterant spray in the bunny section of pet supply stores. I don't find it smelly. Wish I'd discovered it when I had pups here! :laugh: 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

No to marrow bone depending on breed may end up with a very sick dog due to the marrow and the bone is too hard on the teeth .

 

You can try stock feeds and stuff for horses to not chew but looks like the wood inside is not functional.

May be better to get some aluminium sheeting and attach to that area or even heavy duty rubber 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the replies.
It’s been years since I posted in here so I’m not sure if the quote will show up.

Powerlegs, I went to Petbarn this afternoon and they do carry a bitter spray but my local was out. I will give it a try when I can source some.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

No help with the toys :) but there's a bitterant spray in the bunny section of pet supply stores. I don't find it smelly. Wish I'd discovered it when I had pups here! :laugh: 

God I’m stupid, worked it out now. Reply to Powelegs is in post above :laugh:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Rebanne said:

a nice big raw marrow bone

 

 

3 hours ago, persephone said:

you beat me to it :)

Thank you for replying. I should have mentioned that the chewer is a small cavalier. The only bones I give them are chicken necks with me holding the ends so they don’t gulp them down. I was hoping there was a chew toy that they could be left with unsupervised.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

No to marrow bone depending on breed may end up with a very sick dog due to the marrow and the bone is too hard on the teeth .

 

You can try stock feeds and stuff for horses to not chew but looks like the wood inside is not functional.

May be better to get some aluminium sheeting and attach to that area or even heavy duty rubber 

Thank you. I did wonder if I could cover the corners with something. If the bitter spray doesn’t work that will be my next step, I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A stuffed kong...but it wont last all night.  My BC pup was a terrible chewer & nothing, deterred him from chewing timber.  I tried Bitter Spray, Vicks Vapour Rub & Tabasco Sauce & nothing would deter him from chewing the timber around the door frames or chairs...what ever he could get his teeth around..nothing would stop him

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I am the only one to believe (or the only one prepared to say it ??) that crating a dog for a whole night is wrong.

 

Crates are an important part of a dog owner’s life.  They can be life savers, sanity savers, happy time out places, safe places, etc etc, but all night?  I can’t agree.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Loving my Oldies said:

I guess I am the only one to believe (or the only one prepared to say it ??) that crating a dog for a whole night is wrong.

 

Crates are an important part of a dog owner’s life.  They can be life savers, sanity savers, happy time out places, safe places, etc etc, but all night?  I can’t agree.  

Human emotions is often why dogs get screwed up .

All my dogs are taught to be crated overnight because it’s a great tool .

vet stays if overnight require a crate unless you use a vet who does free range stays and doesn’t worry about IV’s ,drips,drains,open wounds .

 

Some dogs will destroy things overnight ,I would sooner a dog allowed indoors and crated than turfed outside at bedtime .

so surely that comes under life saver,sanity saver,safe place .

 

All our puppies from birth to homing have learnt about safely being contained ,we encourage all our owners to continue crating or penning overnight until puppy has learnt to be safe .

Most dogs don’t need to be crated but then often the owners against crating overnight will happily shut them in the laundry for the night and see that is superior .

 

I say if an owner is crating overnight they have there reasons,they may rent,dog may be destructive,still a puppy or it’s simply the best of the alternatives.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, HollyMilo said:

Thank you for the replies.
It’s been years since I posted in here so I’m not sure if the quote will show up.

Powerlegs, I went to Petbarn this afternoon and they do carry a bitter spray but my local was out. I will give it a try when I can source some.

 

I bought some when I had a chewing Lab pup.  The pup chewed up the bottle.:laugh::banghead:

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, sandgrubber said:

I bought some when I had a chewing Lab pup.  The pup chewed up the bottle.:laugh::banghead:

 

 

like these ones:

Pin by Amanda Z. Johnson on HAHAHA!! So true.... | Funny dogs, Funny dog  pictures, Funny

 

What is the best way to stop a dog from inappropriate chewing? - Quora

Edited by Boronia
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Dogsfevr said:

Does the cavalier have anxiety issues 

No, not at all. She’s a very confident, outgoing,  sassy, friendly little girl. Everything a cavalier should be. I think she’s just a chewer. My cavalier has never destroyed a toy, he still has toys from when he was a baby, this little girl destroys them all. She spent the first year of her life, since 8 weeks old, living with a staffy “sister”. Chewing episodes were always blamed on the staffy, skirting boards, Christmas trees, underwear etc, but now I’m thinking it might have been the cavalier or a joint effort.

Edited by HollyMilo
Added content
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sheena said:

A stuffed kong...but it wont last all night.  My BC pup was a terrible chewer & nothing, deterred him from chewing timber.  I tried Bitter Spray, Vicks Vapour Rub & Tabasco Sauce & nothing would deter him from chewing the timber around the door frames or chairs...what ever he could get his teeth around..nothing would stop him

 

8 hours ago, sandgrubber said:

I bought some when I had a chewing Lab pup.  The pup chewed up the bottle.:laugh::banghead:

 

8 hours ago, Boronia said:

 

 

like these ones:

Pin by Amanda Z. Johnson on HAHAHA!! So true.... | Funny dogs, Funny dog  pictures, Funny

 

What is the best way to stop a dog from inappropriate chewing? - Quora

Righty-o then, I might give the sprays a miss :laugh:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Loving my Oldies said:

I guess I am the only one to believe (or the only one prepared to say it ??) that crating a dog for a whole night is wrong.

 

Crates are an important part of a dog owner’s life.  They can be life savers, sanity savers, happy time out places, safe places, etc etc, but all night?  I can’t agree.  

Thanks for your reply :) 
As pointed out by Dogsfevr, there are numerous reasons for crating at night. I’m not interested in explaining our situation to justify why our dogs are in crates at night, that’s not why I posted. Just know that these crates are not small, they are bigger than what is recommended for cavaliers. The dogs love their crates, the doors are only closed for a maximum of 7 hours at night or on the odd occasion when a tradesman is at the house. They have free range of the living areas during the day because there is someone home 95% of the time to supervise. In fact, the dogs choose to go into their crates over using the dog beds in the living room the majority of the time. Little miss chewer is in hers, with the door wide open, as I type.

Edited by HollyMilo
Added to post
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Loving my Oldies Yes, I'm sorry .. I have to disagree ... and so do my Border Collies.   The younger one in particular., has an after dinner nap in her crate in the family room .. to ensure she stays calm for a while after dinner.   At bedtime, after going out for on lead toilet (pademelons in the yard) , she can't wait to race through the house, dive into her nighttime crate, next to my bed, accept her couple of going to bed treats, and then is happy to sleep all night long ... usually a minimum of 8 hours.   This has been her routine since she was a wee pup, and means that when we're away and staying in dog friendly accommodation, she is perfectly happy to sleep in her crate there too.

 

My older boy hasn't had a door on his night time airline crate for many years, but it's still his choice to crate himself for night time sleep - he's right next to my bed, but could be anywhere in the house if he wanted to.     

 

Both dogs let me know if they need to go out to toilet during the night .. in which case we go out on lead, and then as soon as they come back in, they race to their crates to go back to bed.   

 

And it means they're quite contented when they have to spend long days in their crates, travelling, at a show or trial, and vet stays or injury.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...