Smelly dog beds! (why are dog beds so expensive!)

DMcT

Hey all,

Just wondering how you go about cleaning your dog beds, and how long you keep them before you replace them? I hate replacing mine because they're so expensive, and because I feel guilty about throwing away so much waste, but they do get pretty gross. I wash the outer layer pretty regularly (but hate putting them in my machine because of dog hair etc) but the inner layer gets a bit smelly after a while too. What does everyone else do? How often do you change your beds? Do you wash them in your own washing machine? Would love to hear what solutions everyone else has!  

Does your washing machine fit the inner on it's own?

I'm a chronic dog bed/towel washer. I do the inners in the wash but because I'm weird about smells I do the disinfectant and hose blast beforehand to make sure I've reached the very very centre. :laugh: Hate 'doggy' smelling dog beds. And they loooooove a clean bed. 

Use a dog brush pre-wash to get extra hair off the outer. 

I guess it's an issue if you have a top-load agitator machine. The agitator can tear the thin fabric. You could always do the blast technique and leave it to hang in the hot sunshine? Or grab a big machine safe bag and throw that in the wash. 

Sorry, not much advice. :) 

Signed

OCD bed washer LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I aim to wash the outer covers weekly, although more like fortnightly in our recent wet weather, and use a laundry sanitiser product instead of fabric softener. I use my own machine and run a drum clean cycle afterwards. On fine days I put the inners out to air in the sun when I wash the covers. The inners are way too big for a domestic washing machine. I replace the whole lot once or twice a year, usually buying on special (half price at petbarn recently) or at Costco or TK Maxx. Some other discount style stores have cheaper beds too, but too small for my guys. I agree about the waste, but haven’t found a solution. The outside beds are trampoline style and last for years but they like the cushion type inside. 

Edited by Diva

Sorry i can't help , because thats the wifes department , BUT  i did ask her and she's says , because we have three , one in the bedroom where he follows us at night , one in the lounge where you find him during the day , one in the bar  / rumpus which he goes to when he wants to be alone , its not a big problem ,, however if one of them gets on the nose she says she just takes it too the laundremat ,,,  plus i also know  if i leave clothes on the bed floor , thats where he lays . In fact too be honest , he's teaching me manners  my wife has'nt been able to teach me in years , i'm learning not to leave my shirts , jeans on the bed floor because chances are , i'll find him lay on them outside ,, worse thing about a doggy door :laugh:

• Haha 1

Dog beds. A tricky subject. I think the best bed for a dog who doesn’t tear beds up is a trampoline bed with some sort of mat on top that can easily be hosed down or go through the wash. Or a basket that can be hosed with a mat inside.

Beds with zips. Awesome idea to unzip and put through wash, until your dog plays with the zip. Beds without zips, can they fit in your washing machine? They take longer to dry, they can get misshapen after a wash. 

Mats on the floor, easy to hose or wash but some dogs chew holes in them. 

Different dogs like different beds too. If you’re like me you end up with a dozen beds before figuring it out. 

9 hours ago, Powerlegs said:

Does your washing machine fit the inner on it's own?

I'm a chronic dog bed/towel washer. I do the inners in the wash but because I'm weird about smells I do the disinfectant and hose blast beforehand to make sure I've reached the very very centre. :laugh: Hate 'doggy' smelling dog beds. And they loooooove a clean bed. 

Use a dog brush pre-wash to get extra hair off the outer. 

I guess it's an issue if you have a top-load agitator machine. The agitator can tear the thin fabric. You could always do the blast technique and leave it to hang in the hot sunshine? Or grab a big machine safe bag and throw that in the wash. 

Sorry, not much advice. :) 

Signed

OCD bed washer LOL

When I had dogs, this was exactly me! I washed the life out of those beds but then, pugs could be smelly little things. I made the mistake of buying a front loader and gave it away and bought a top loader realising my dog bed washing was not as effective!   

I hardly ever have to wash the cats beds but when I do, it’s the same treatment. Washing machine with vinegar rinse and I use the dryer to dry them and remove fur. 

• Like 1

We bought these huge orthopaedic dog beds that our dogs loved and they lasted 8 years in perfect condition. We used to wash the outer layer regularly in the washing machine. Now that our dogs are gone, those beds are being used by my sister’s dogs.

laudromat nearly all have a pet wash machines so we go there every few months for a super duper wash but cot protectors are great on dog beds although our dogs beds are baby cot mattresses with cot protectors so much easier .

Edited by Dogsfevr