What's Your Magic Number?

grizabella

How many dogs works best for you?

I've never had more than two, but looking at adding a third of the same breed in the not-too-distant future. My younger dog is prone to distress when separated from the older, and being able to leave two together while I go out with a third is definitely appealing to me. I think ideally I'd have two salukis and a 'something else', probably something a little more biddable!  As my old girl is getting near to the end of her expected lifespan, my next dog is probably going to play the role of easing the transition with her passing when it happens.

After most of my dog-owning life having just the one, I'd hate to go back to having less than two! I'm a little bit daunted by the logistics of a third with regards to landlord and council approval, but it definitely feels like my ideal number.

Photo of my two girls... I'd love to see some pack pics in this thread, though I know it's quiet here these days.

DSC_1919 copy

As 

• Like 5

I often had 3 because we would take rehomes from breeders.  In instances where a breeder died and needed a home for some of their dogs or when a female dog couldn't have any more litters.

Three was a bit of a nuisance.  Two is easier.  Depends also where you live whether it's a built up inner city location like mine or whether you have some acreage.  I think if you have acreage 3 would be ok.

24 minutes ago, Deeds said:

I often had 3 because we would take rehomes from breeders.  In instances where a breeder died and needed a home for some of their dogs or when a female dog couldn't have any more litters.

Three was a bit of a nuisance.  Two is easier.  Depends also where you live whether it's a built up inner city location like mine or whether you have some acreage.  I think if you have acreage 3 would be ok.

An acreage would certainly be the dream for ease of multiple dogs. We're on about a 600m block so pretty good, but I couldn't have anything bigger than salukis and have more than two. 

3 is the most dogs that I have had at the same time. There was a 6 year age gap between Baylee, and the two younger dogs, Dee and Zeph. There was 9 months between Dee and Zeph. Dee and Zeph played together when Baylee needed a break, but they learnt so much from her. The hardest thing was ensuring that Baylee still got the chance to work and train, while I was training the younger ones.

Three is my ideal number. I can take one out to do stuff without anyone being left alone. My breed quite likes to live in a group too, it’s in their heritage. Never any squabbles. If you go for a different breed I’d look for one that is also happy in a pack and has a similar activity level, unless you a targeting a specific dog sport. 

We have three dogs at present but we’ve had up to six, when we’ve cared for dogs whose owners (relatives) have been unwell or travelling. I enjoy the energy of more dogs but there are increasing difficulties with larger numbers.

Space in the car is problematic. I laughingly call my border collie a “manspreader” because he seems to take up as much space in the car as he can. 
Holiday accommodation is even more problematic, so I put holidays in the too-hard basket. 
My dogs get on well, but we rarely leave all three alone together. I’ve seen the consequences of a two-on-one dog fight. They weren’t my dogs but it took years for me to get over the experience. When my husband and I both go out, we leave one dog in the house or front garden and the other two in the back yard.
Games need supervision. All three of our dogs play happy games together but the smallest, who weighs 16 kg to the other dogs’ 25+ kg, occasionally seems uncomfortable playing with two larger dogs.

It helps to have dogs with the same play style. Herding breeds, in particular, play games which can sometimes be overwhelming for other dogs… and many of them bark when excited!

We currently have 6, 3 medium and 3 small but my ideal number is 3, having 2 is definitely easier than 3 however I found it to be problematic if one needed a vet visit or trying to take one out for training etc, the biggest consideration is making sure they have similar needs and play styles, our bigger three are all herding breeds so work very well together and they’re very gentle with the two chi’s and malt x shihtzu.

I'd stay with two particularly as you are renting, and stay with the breed you know.

When the time comes for the older one to leave you, I'd suggest you make sure the younger one sees the body. When I took my old dog (sighthound) to the vet the younger one grieved a lot and didn't like going out the front door, even for walks, for ages. I learned from that - vet came to house, other dog/s could see and sniff body before it was removed. That way their companion doesn't just disappear never to be seen again. 

You might want to look into solving or lessening the anxiety of the younger dog before it becomes an only dog. It may just teach dog three the same habit.

After many years with two to four dogs my last dog coped very well as an only dog.

Think the really big issue is , will your landlord allow it  , Times are changing  lots of landlords will not allow even one dog ,  2 is i suppose lucky , 3 might just be pushing it , check first , last thing you would want is to suddenly be looking for impossible acomadation for you your familly and 3 dogs

We have always had multi dogs so its is our normal and we  are set up for multi dogs & licensed  BUT it comes with alot of extra effort meeting the big age bracket needs,mental enrichment for all,tranquility .

2 is company 3's a crowd is reality especially for people arent willing to sign up for the pack needs 

Back in the day when renting with pets wasn't as unpredictable as it is today, and council approval for pet numbers wasn't even a thing, I had 5 dogs... and they are large breed dogs. What I will also say is that my only real requirements about any rental property were good fences and that the house didn't leak... so that left my options much wider when looking for a place that would accept me and the dogs

Since owning my own home, my magic number has been 4 dogs... give or take the odd dozen foster pups at any given time. I found 3 was actually fiddlier to manage when 2 of my dogs developed a dislike for each other, and I had to play swapsies with regard to giving them all my attention one-on-one. I live alone, so the swapsies was relatively easy to manage so that the 2 that hated each other never accidentally came together, but that would be incredibly hard when one has a family to consider, and all need to be highly vigilant about keeping 2 dogs separate and safe from each other. I learned that even when 2 dogs have lived together happily for years, things can change with that dynamic, and it was my job to keep them safe, happy, and healthy. Rehoming was never a consideration, as the behaviours I witnessed from both dogs when they had their last spat were not the behaviours I would be comfortable imposing on a new family, and I did also consider the euthanasia option for one or both if I couldn't manage them effectively... luckily that didn't eventuate, and both lived out the rest of their lives with me.

As my dog numbers dropped from 4 down to 1, I actually found it refreshing to have only 1 dog for a while... not to mention feed and vet costs being so much less during the current financial situation and me becoming unemployed due to Covid restrictions and then health issues of my own. I am currently waiting patiently for my chosen breeder to have a litter with a pup for me in it, and I will probably stick to only the 1 dog for a good while simply because it will be easier for me to manage financially... if my financial situation changes, I may add more dogs... or not... it depends... *grin*

T.

In the past I've had up to 4 dogs.  Presently I have two, and this breed loves company so would always try to have two.  However as I get older, the possibility of being able to manage only one is a very real one.  I think you make it work however many you have, but accommodation, council regulations and personal abilities all come into play.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Introducing a pup gives them a new lease on life.

they don’t have a choice basically. The pup will give them a lot of stimulation and that’s normal.

but it also keeps them more active and fit. Puppies are highly motivated. Couch potatoes look out.

it’s not so much the number of dogs but the pack dynamic. Introducing another always changes that. You have a whole lot of new things to contend with.

unfortunately the pack is only good as it’s dumbest link. No magic rule. But ideally an older female that dose’nt take any shit will keep it together.