Women Injured And Animals Killed In Overnight Fires (caboolture Qld)

Boronia

Thank you so much for posting the photos!!

In the midst of all this horror, it is great to know that you are all there working to support those in need.

This dreadful event has made us rethink our own fire plans. Dog leads are now in front of crates at bedtime. Torches all have new batteries and this afternoon I am off to Tas Fire Service to buy some fire extinguishers for the house, garage and cars.

Out of the midst of such a tragic event, others might be saved through advance preparation. None of these things might have altered what happened at Jed's as I don't know the circumastances but what happened there may prevent someone else from having to go through the same dreadful tragedy. :)

RIP all the much loved animals who died and speedy healing to Jed and her remaining dogs.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for that link - I just read Chi Chi's story. Jane said it all - "And she is the best lesson in being happy despite adversity".

Thanks be that there will be one very special little sister left, amid the wreckage and the heartache.

Mona, your poem is wonderful, thanks ever so much :) Brought a few tears.

Steve, thanks for posting the photos of the animals :)

Hope Jed's operation today goes well :laugh:

Steve, if you need any more help with the ponies, or anything, please don't hesitate to email me privately. Now I know where to go with the help of Kyla QCR and her Dad, after the GPS failing yesterday, am only 1/2 hour away. :cry:

I just spent a bit of time looking for some of Jeds posts. I have talked to her on the boxer thread but I don't know her personally. I could tell from all the lovely messages that she is a very highly regarded member of DOL. I have included a quote from one of her topics that has made me feel like I know alot more about her and thought I would share it.

"From time to time the question arises of whether breeders make a profit or not. Who cares? Obviously someone does, or they wouldn't ask. Why? I have no idea. Is it wrong to make a profit? Is it right?

I never respond from a personal point of view. I have no idea whether I make a profit or not. I care for the dogs, spend whatever needs to be spent, and sell the pups for the average price. Sometimes things don't go well, and it costs more than I get back. Sometimes the income from the pups is more than the cost of getting them. That's life.

I don't keep records of income and expenditure. If I wanted to know, I would probably work it out, and I would probably find that over a year I was covering the costs. I don't worry too much about it. The profits are not in the money in the bank.

But there are huge profits, for me, from keeping and breeding dogs.

The profits are in seeing happy, glossy dogs playing in the garden, waggy tails and wide smiles when I come home from work. In constant smiling companionship. The pleasure of grooming them, or stroking them, or playing with them. They don't care what's on TV, they never complain if I am home late, they never fret or sulk if I don't have as much time tonight as I had last night. That confiding little nose pushed under my arm at night, that little body curled at my feet.

The profts are in seeing the little mummies so thrilled with and proud of their babies. Proud, strutting daddy dogs thinking they rule the world. Seeing little pups grow into nice dogs that I can be proud of as a breeder; each one special, unique, never to be repeated, and loved for his own little self for the short time he is here. Seeing gentle adult dogs playing with babies in the garden, running, jumping, chasing - then falling in an untidy heap - instantly asleep.

The profits are in the diversity, yet the similarity in the breed, the profits are in calling one of the 4th generation home bred, and realising I have the wong dog - because my dogs are now a line, and resemble each other.

Those little insensate hairy newborn blobs turning into real dogs, barking, running, playing, going cheerfully off to new homes with never a backward glance, as I wipe away whatever it is that got in my eye.

The profits are in the photos and letters I get back from puppy buyers, sometimes for years, sometimes for the life of the dog. The profits are in sorting out any problems so the dog has a lifetime home.

The profits are in encountering a new problem - veterinary, training, whatever - and finding the solution, and learning more so I can be a better breeder from the experience.

The profits are in studying the bloodllines and the type in my yard, and scheming and plotting and planning how to improve them - and doing more research.

The profits are in good friends, always ready with good advice, or an understanding shoulder. Who else but a breeder would understand the grief that losing a day old pup brings? Or a stillborn? Or an eagerly awaited preganacy which doesn't evenuate. Or losing an oldie - your "regular" friends say "it's only a dog, and an old one at that", but your breeder friends understand you have lost your friend, your easy companion who never needed calling, because she knew where to be when, never needed a hard word, because she understood how things worked as well as you did - the great-grandmother of the pup which is winning for someone; or the grandmother of some little kid's nice pet; they understand you have lost part of your history, and they grieve with you.

The profits are in the ones you keep, the pleausre in training them, in having them, in enjoying them, in seeing them as good canine citizens, growing old in easy companionship, lying by your feet.

The profits are in seeing a beautiful dog - whether mine or not - which fills my eye, and gives me pleasure, just by existimg, and being his own individual, special doggy person.

Those are the profits for me. I don't know whether I make monetary profit or not, and I don't care - as long as there is enough for our needs, I am happy.

If you make some money, why not? You certainly wont keep breeding if you are going bankrupt, and then the puppy farms will be able to sell more pups. And if enough breeders go bankrupt, the gene pool will be so reduced, it will be impossible to buy a healthy registered pup.

and that's a bad thing."

You seem like a wonderful person Jane. Please get better soon.

Thanks for the photos, they were good for the soul.

I hope those surviving dogs will be good for Jed's. I'm so happy for her that she managed to save so many and I hope she finds comfort in that.

Edited by poodlefan

I hope those surviving dogs will be good for Jed's. I'm so happy for her that she managed to save so many and I hope she finds comfort in that.

Oh, so do I. And it's going to be tough. The natural first human reaction will be one of guilt I'm guessing, the kind that we needlessly put on ourselves - should I have pushed harder, what if I'd done this or that. And I hope she doesn't do that to herself. She was very heroic to save those that survived... and she had to think of her own safety. I know it's a predicament that NO ONE would like to be in... but realistically, at the end of the day, she'd done what was safely possible and had to ensure her own safety.

There will be many more dogs that will need her in the future, she had to save herself for them.

Still, I can't possibly fathom having to come to terms with it. Those special little survivors will hopefully hold the key.

I was just reading through the link regarding the Wagga fire and truly believe that in regard to all the recent tragedies there needs to be a register set up with names of people that can provide emergency pet relief in MANY areas.

Perhaps Troy could organise a link for this and any interested parties could add their names and their area in each state.

I will put my hand up for the Western burbs of Brisbane here, we are on acreage and would assist if needed.

Edited by Lesley

Thanks for those photos Steve. In the middle of this misery it's heartening to see the survivors.

ChiChi must be one tough little dog, and very lucky. Can somebody please link to her rescue story or tell it again here?

All best wishes for Jed's operation today and to her family and friends.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=192855&hl=

OMG that story is so Jed I am laughing and crying at the same time. :):)

KL:

I know it's a predicament that NO ONE would like to be in... but realistically, at the end of the day, she'd done what was safely possible and had to ensure her own safety

I think she went way beyond that.

omg....How adorable is chi chi.

Does Chi chi have enough warm winter things. Our Toy Poodle got her wings in dec but we still have all her jumpers and things. If needed let me now and i would be glad to post them to whoever is taking care of her.

Many of us say that we wouldn't hesitate to save our animals in a situation such as this, Jed showed her true love and dedication to her animals by placing her own life at risk to save her family, that is a true testament I believe to the kind of person that she is. Jed has shown us us by her actions what commitment and dedication is to all of the lives that we allow into our homes and hearts and if I have learnt anything from this tragedy it is that there are truly wonderful, selfless people in this world. The loss of these lives, whilst I do not know any of them breaks my heart and reminds me of all of the souls that I myself have lost over the years and my heart is aching for them, I can not imagine the grief that Jed and her family will be facing for years to come.

I was just reading through the link regarding the Wagga fire and truly believe that in regard to all the recent tragedies there needs to be a register set up with names of people that can provide emergency pet relief in MANY areas.

Perhaps Troy could organise a link for this and any interested parties could add their names and their area in each state.

I will put my hand up for the Western burbs of Brisbane here, we are on acreage and would assist if needed.

there is a register for this called the pacers buddy system. Click on my sig.

Guys I haven't got my laptop with me but I am in Brisbane and able to do stuff if anything is needed so please don't hesitate to contact Steve for my mobile if I can do anything.

there is a register for this called the pacers buddy system. Click on my sig.

Sorry Chewbacca, I am not an MDBA member so was unaware.

Good to know that there are people out there compiling lists of temporary homes for those in need. :)

Jed has many friends who have offered a wonderful support team but not all are that fortunate and I felt extremely sad when I saw the plea for help regarding the boxer in whelp at Wagga.

Edited by Lesley

I've just logged on to see the horrible news about Magnus :)

Jed, my prayers are with you today for your surgery. Be strong there are many people waiting to hear that your ok.

Steve - Thank you so much for posting those photos. Just looking at those beautifully looked after Cavs and Chi Chi have made it more of a reality just how much Jed loved and looked after all her animals.

Lets hope for better news today :)

Magnus' survival was something we were all hoping for and devastating to all of us that it wasn't to be. We now at least know where he is, along with the others which is some small comfort.

The three surviving boxer puppies are doing fine as is Shandy (Shithead) and Marjory and who are with Marg Coles who bred Marjory. The cavvies here have all had their breakfast of warm rolled oates, milk & honey, ( 1 degree here this morning) had several hours of exploring, said hi to the geese, and were rapt in the guinea fowl because they made so much noise and now snoozin in the sun. Chi Chi was checked by the vet yesterday and has medication for her eyes which are still smoke affected and ear tips which are slightly singed but she's doing fine also and quite taken with her coat which I gather she's never worn before because she always slept on Janes bed.

Two vets are coming in next week to give all Janes dogs a good check up and another Pacer member and another breeder will be coming in regularly to help with the grooming and general care of Janes brood.

Channel 9 have been in filming the dogs and where they are, apparently to be shown when Jane is well enough to watch TV and can see that her dogs are all doing okay.

The RSPCA were very good and the fellow we were dealing with on the day, Travis, could not have been more helpful. The dogs had all been bathed and under heaters to dry off when we finally arrived at Fairfield to take delivery, all of which was also filmed. Was particularly appreciative to the photographer who was able to back the dog float for me in what was a very small turnaround area.

All thoughts and prayers are with Jane now and as already mentioned by others, I dread Janes reaction when she finally realizes all her special dogs are gone.