German Shepherd Died In Tragic Accident

Riley'n'Mia

:hug: I am so sorry, poor baby.

Try not to relate sleep with death, kids don't get that words have multiple meanings, only the one that relates to their association. My kids get excited when a rainbow appears and talk to our lost boys Squid and Elliot who are playing on it.

What an awful time for your family, huge hugs.

Edited by Chewbacca

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I told my girls that My rotti got very sick and died and that he was a star in the sky watching over them. they found the brightest one and said that must be him.

they will still ask and talk about him i think thats normal

RIP and hugs to your family

So sorry to hear about your handsome Riley.

I hope you don't feel I'm being insensitive, but there is a way to get tennis balls out of dogs' throats which I've seen work a few times. You might have tried it also - not sure. But if it helps someone, I hope you'll allow me to post it here.

You basically run both hands down and along the outside of the dog's throat until you feel where the ball is lodged. Then you push it back up by applying pressure from the outside, just beneath where the ball is lodged.

I'm so very sorry for you, what a terrible tragedy and ordeal.

Whilst I don't have children and I feel the very young ones have short memories and also cannot understand death and the implications, my suggestion would be to have a spot in the garden called "Riley's place". Plant a tree with your daughter and say that this is Riley's special plant.

My friend lost one of her dogs to cancer recently, we all loved him and he had had a tragic life until she rescued him but only had him for a few months before cancer was diagnosed, he was still quite young.

Four of us got together and said some words, we each planted something for him and cried. Now we all go and look at his special place and we all find it helps. She has done this for several of her dogs, one also has a stone angel.

Children might like to go and talk to their lost pets, I know I certainly did when I lost my cat when I was 9.

Hugs to you and take care of yourself.

RIP sweet boy. I am so sorry for your loss.

I tell my children exactly what has happend. If the have suddenly became sick, been biten by a spider etc. I say that they became very sick but the vet couldnt make them better and they have died. I say its ok because they are not in pain anymore and they have gone to heaven to become a star and gradma is looking after them. Anytime you miss them, you just look up at the stars and remember them, remember playing with them and you can talk to them if you want to. Everytime my kids see the stars on a clear night they always start chatting happily about Grandma, Roxy, Gizmo, Gypsy and Fidget. My eldest two are almost 5yrs and just turned 3yrs. My 3yr old has been mentioning the stars since she was 2yrs 3mths. All children are different on how they cope. Ive had a few people tell me that I shouldnt tell them the truth and have tried to tell my children the "gone to the farm" story but I think they cope better being told the truth from the start. My prayers are with you and your family at this terrible time. Rest In Peace big boy.