Please Pray For Chase

Kaffy Magee

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping he will improve during the night, sounds like he's in good hands - with the right meds and knowhow.

You must be beside yourelf with worry Kaf, are your family home ?

sending all our good vibes to Chase.

fifi

Thank you everyone. I cant stop crying for my little Chazzy Boy, it was so sudden. Hanging for that phone call from the vet.

Does anyone know how long it takes for snake bite to take effect? He could have been bitten earlier this morning while in his run. I let him in at about 1pm i think and first symptoms showed just before 3. Either way we will know for sure soon.Waiting waiting waiting........

AT this time of year when their venom is quite concentrated it can be as short as 10 minutes. The time depends on the concentration of the venom, where the dog was bitten and how much venom was injected by the snake. Quite often a first strike will be a dry bite as a warning, but if say a dog is noseing, sniffing or wacking a snake it can get annoyed and give a full dose.

Vomiting and collapse are usually the first signs of a brown snake, with the tigers down here wobbling and ataxia along with drooling are quite often the first signs of tiger snakes.

I really hope your boy pulls through for you. We have all paws and fingers crossed for you and sending lots of Whippet hugs your way.

Oh and I have also driven much more quickly that I should have to the vets before, but when you have a dog in that state your only thought is to get them there as soon as possible.

We have had two days of 35 & 36 and I have already seen 5 snakes close to the house so I am on high alert and expect to see them out as well.

Just read your update, hopefully he will stabilise and inprove overnight and you can figure out what he is allergic to. Anaphylactic reactions are very scary. My friend had a Boxer who went into Anaphylaxis on two seperate occasions from a bee sting. I am not sure if there was bleeding from the lungs, but the collapse was very rapid.

Edited by OSoSwift

Thanks to everyone for the prayers and thoughts. It means alot and I hope it pulls him through.

OK, its not snake bite. He has had a severe anyphylactic reaction to something. My guess would be bees, as Im sure being the curious little monkey he would have decided to chase one if it flew by and there are heaps here at the moment. The vet asked about poisons, we have none around, even asked if he had had a knock or fall, which to my knowledge he hadnt, I didnt even know that could cause anaphylaxis, but apparently it can.

He has fluid in the chest, which apparently is also a symptom of anaphylaxis. He is breathing a bit better but not normal, they have removed the tube from the throat but he has one up his nose with the oxygen, he is on drip and on medication for the fluid in his chest. He has had antihistimine, cortisone and something to stimulate his heart. He is not out of the woods, the vet couldnt tell me if he would survive the night, maybe they are not allowed incase people get their hopes up, but he couldnt really even say if things looked promising :thumbsup:

Hang in there Chazzy, I love you xxxx

oh no i just read this!!!!!

hang in there chazzy dear boy your family need you and so do we all... the world can never have too many large devilishly handsome doggies

H

Kaffy,

I hope your beautiful little pup gets better very soon. Hugs :rofl: to you at this very worrying time.

Are the Vets or Vet going to be there through the night to keep an eye on him? If not.....you might be able to stay with him at the surgery?

I only just spotted this thread. Hope your little dude will pull through. I'm guessing you won't sleep tonight with worry. All fingers and paws crossed here for a positive outcome for your baby boy! And hugs to you what a nightmare to endure!

Thanks again for all the wonderful thoughts and prayers for chase. I hope it's enough to pull him through. I don't know whether there will be any brain damage at all as he was without air for so long. I live 10 minutes out of town and I tell you now that was the longest drive of my life. I know it didn't take me 10 minutes but it felt like an eternity. I hate to think but if he had been any bigger than his 25 kg I would have been helpless, I was home alone, would have had no way of getting him to the car. Makes me sick to think it. What if he survives and it happens again when he is bigger? I'm going to be forever paranoid now, and what's the chances of his siblings being the same? I have his brother and sister here too, who by the way have been giving me the very best cuddles all night. Anyway I must go to bed, the sooner I sleep the sooner I'll hear from the vet. I don't think anyone stays overnight,which I hate the thought of, but I'm not 100% sure, I'll ask tomorrow for future reference. I would have brought him home to monitor him except he needs to be on oxygen and fluids. Fingers crossed it's good news in the morning, they said they'll ring me first thing, so if I don't hear anything by 8, I'll be ringing them. Night all and thanks again, it really means alot.