Switching Breeds

Bubitty

We've always had mixes. Quinn is the first dog I've got to choose, first puppy I've got to raise and I definetly knew I wanted a BC. I think I'll always have a BC or a kelpie. I need that owner-orientation and trainability in a dog. There are a few other breeds I'd like to try out and one day I'd really like a Mal but not just yet.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OUr family dogs growing up were always working dogs, Kelpie X's etc

My very first dog was a Rotti. I originally wanted a female Lab, OH wanted a Male Rotti, we compramised and got a female Rotti Whom I adored. We lost her early to hereditary disease.

I then decided to go the Dobes as my friend had them and I loved they way they looked, their personalilty and the fact they were a lighter build than the Rotts for jumping etc.

When I lost my last Dobe - also to hereditary disease- I decided I needed a change. I know had two young kids and could not put the amount of one on one work into a young Dobe that I knew a young Dobe would need.

I wanted something smaller, totally non agressive/guarding and needing less exercise and as a breed less likely to suffer from hereditary disease. I had three breeds shortlisted and researched them. The Whippet seemed the best fit and so I contacted breeders and made sure they were for me.

I now have two with plans for number three and I don't think we will have another breed. They are perfect for us.

I have dogs that I can train and do agility with, but if for a day we don't do much, they don't care and spend most of it laying around. They love their people and unlike Howie mine are always with me and following me and Lewis in particular would get inside my skin if he could. If I move they follow regardless of if it's outside to the toilet etc.

I grew up with small breeds (Maltese, Yorkie, Australian Terrier) but always dreamt of owning a Lab. Finally got myself one as an adult, and there was no question that I had to have another! I used to be very close-minded about other breeds - Labs only! But since joining DOL, my eyes have been opened to all the lovely breeds out there and I would like to venture out and try different breeds in the future (Aussie Shepherd, Beagle, and English Setter for starters!) But I would like to think I will always have a Lab in my life, they still are my favourite breed :)

When I lost my golden puppy Ripley (in my sig) in tragic circumstances I took a year off from showing, obedience etc. When I finally decided I was ready to get back in the ring I stil wasnt ready to go back into group 3 and be around all the golden ppl. I had always admired italian greyhounds and I had a desexed iggy Sultan as a pet. IGs are in group 1 and I knew virtually no one from Group 1 which suited me jsut fine.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy a lovely iggy bitch, through a breeder i met on DOL. At first it seemed very strange with a new breed. Even setting up a dog on a table was foreign to me. But fast forward 18 months and I now have 4 iggies and my first iggy litter is on the ground. I still have my golden bitch and Im planning a litter for the end of the year.

I will prolly always have both breeds from now on. They are very different and have very different needs, however I enjoy the diversity and love both breeds.

Edited by indigirl

grew up with short coated breeds English pointers and a Dobermann where my childhood dogs, then we Xbred dogs, then we got the poodles and then not long after that i got my Afghan/s experienced living with Shih tzu and now Lowchens :)

Each have their ups and downs :laugh:

I wasn't allow to have a dog when I was a kid, so I've only owned two, and got my first when I was 21. Sasha my Dobie was a brilliant dog. She was devoted, smart and a dream house dog. When I moved out of my parents home into my own house not far from my parents, Mum would pick her up after work (she worked half days) and take her home with her so she (mum) had company and a little shadow. When we had to have her PTS it broke all of our hearts. I couldn't even contemplate getting another dog and it took me six years to finally decide I was ready.

This time round I chose a Smooth Collie, a very different dog. Partly because no Dobe would be comparable to Sasha and partly because a Dobe wouldn't suit my current working arrangements or back yard size. Bronte is awesome. I have the same devotion, if not more, she is super smart and always willing to work, where Sash chose her moments. And as a house dog she is identical to Sash, brilliant. Most of all I really enjoy Bronte's work ethic and working dog temperament, but she is a vastly different dog to handle, being a very soft dog, compared to your much harder Dobe. It makes training much easier, but I do have to be much more precise as well.

The next pup will be another Smoothie for sure, they're just fantastic dogs. I may own another Dobe one day, but I see a lot of variety in the breed at the moment and I don't like a lot of what I see, so I'd need to do plenty of research. That being said, I don't think dog number three into the household in 3-4 years time will be a Dobe, it will probably be another Smoothie or another Group 5 working dog.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

When I was young we had x breed terriers and a kelpie x and then mainly kelpies.

I always wanted a Golden Retriever and when I could I got one. Plus one had Lab in her so when she passed we also ended up with a Lab pup last year.

After losing our 4 dogs last year I didn't think I could get another Golden or Lab.

We ended up with another Golden by chance. It was one of those meant to be moments. I don't think we will ever be without one. We were going to get another dog and we just couldn't get another Golden, it didn't seem right.

The kids have always wanted a smaller dog and we have ended up with a Cocker Spaniel. He is a breath of fresh air. He has a wonderful temperament and we couldn't be happier with him.

When I was young we had x breed terriers and a kelpie x and then mainly kelpies.

I always wanted a Golden Retriever and when I could I got one. Plus one had Lab in her so when she passed we also ended up with a Lab pup last year.

After losing our 4 dogs last year I didn't think I could get another Golden or Lab.

We ended up with another Golden by chance. It was one of those meant to be moments. I don't think we will ever be without one. We were going to get another dog and we just couldn't get another Golden, it didn't seem right.

The kids have always wanted a smaller dog and we have ended up with a Cocker Spaniel. He is a breath of fresh air. He has a wonderful temperament and we couldn't be happier with him.

I grew up with X breds and Poodles (Toy and Miniatures) but only as family pets.

My first show dog and the first breed which I bred was the American Cocker Spaniel. I've been involved with them since 1886. I had them full-on, but in conjunction with other breeds that I've handled or co-owned or campaigned for other people until 1996 when my first marriage ended. I let my previous prefix (Truyank) lapse and registered Ellz and all of the American Cockers were placed in pet homes because at that stage, I wasn't in a position to have dogs where I was living in the city.

In 1997 I got my first Staffordshire Bull Terrier (because I'd made a promise to Mr Ellz who'd only ever had X bred Staffords and I wouldn't let him get another so I made him promise that if I got him a good one, I could show it) That dog went to his first show at the age of 10months in 1998 and won Best in Show at a Specialty in Sydney. That was my first time in the ring with a Stafford too. The Staffords have been here ever since.

2005 saw the arrival of a nice American Cocker bitch as a play breed, she had a lovely litter of 5, 4 of which were shown and are now titled. 2008 saw me move to a country property and the arrival of another litter of American Cockers, one of which was shown and I clipped him off and retired him on 63 points. He helped himself to a girl in 2009 and the only puppy from that litter is now in Japan in a pet home. There will not be any more American Cockers here. My environment just isn't suitable and I don't believe that there is as much quality in the breed now as there used to be.

Over the years, I've had some lovely dogs of other breeds which I've shown for short periods of time for various reasons. Unfortunately my health fluctuates so I have to take that into account as well.

Thus far, I've found the Staffords to be the best match for my lifestyle in the country. Long coated dogs just don't do well here. We spend 6 months of the year tinderbox dry and covered in prickles and burrs and the other 6 months wet and muddy. I just don't have the urge or inclination to spend hours over the bathtub doing dogs any more. My family life is too full-on for that and I really just can't be bothered any more.

I've had no issues with campaigning different breeds. If anything, it has been good because I've had a "tester" for which breeds I might like to seriously consider introducing to the pack on a long-term basis in the future. And it has certainly shown me a few breeds that I could NEVER own long term for various reasons.

It's all fun. My dogs are family pets and companions first and foremost anyway but I take showing seriously so even the pets still have to be quality!

My first show dog and the first breed which I bred was the American Cocker Spaniel. I've been involved with them since 1886.

:laugh: How old are you Ellz? :rofl:

Every bit as old as that! :) I am well preserved....pickled probably! :D

But of course, I should have put 1986. :laugh:

I grew up with Hungarian Vizslas and Elley and Gus were the most loyal dogs I've ever met. When Gus died, my parents got an older Pomeranian to keep Elley company, and Rusty put me off small dogs for life. He was horrible, would climb fences and none of us ever bonded with him. He had to be PTS because he kept getting out and no one could catch him, and he was HA. After Elley died, we didn't get another dog - Mum said she wouldn't get anything but another Vizsla, but she couldn't get another Vizsla because Elley was so special.

My OH and I got Akira a few months after we moved into our new house. She's so different to the Vizsla's, and is very independent and stubborn. We have fallen in love with the Spitz temperament and we'll always have a Spitz in our lives - not sure if it will always be a Husky though! Akira is a lot of work and is always testing us, and is a typical naughty Sibe.

I've had Patterdales, Goldies, Wolfhounds, Giant Schnauzers, Lakelands, Irsih water spaniels. cattle dogs, BCs, maltese, some crosses and now a vizsla and a spinone. There are many other breeds I would love to own, but I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to have them all :D :laugh:

I love all breeds, my soul mate dogs are wolfhounds because I've had such wonderful dogs and they are very suited to my temp :)

I cannot see my life in the futore without a viz and spinone. Spins are the dog worlds best kept secret ;) they are completely and utterly adorable amazing dogs.

Vizs are so in your face, so attached and so into every part of your life that I'd be lonely without one :p or more!They truly are the MOST velcro/attached dog breed in the world! :D :laugh::rofl:

I've always wanted a standard poodle, Bracco Italiano and another wolfie. I adore terriers and would love several breeds.

I'd love to have a Boston, Griffon, Affenspinscer, Portugese water dog, min poodle. greyhound or whippet.

I adore but have never wanted to own any of the spitz or bully breeds, but know many Dogues and OMG! I love them to bits.

I dont care what coat or what size a dog is.

I'm a breed slut :)

I grew up with army dogs, from the sapper dogs which were terrier crosses to the tracking dogs which were lab crosses with a few German shepherds and one Dobermann thrown in

When we finally got a dog for the family it was a failed sapper dog I think it was some form of staffy cross called Jester. Then when I was 16 and doing work experience at the rspca I bonded with the most loveliest Lab x Kelpie which is my current dog today.

I know I will be going into another breed due to liking dogs that mature (eg LSG type dogs, Akitas and so on).

--Lhok

I went from a loyal very obedient gsd to a sibe. BIG DIFFERENCE! The gsd was a family dog and the sibe was mine. I was in charge of everything, including training. Not the best first dog for a 15yr old girl, lots of teething problems which didn't settle down till he was about 4yrs old. I now have another sibe & a mal. Will always own a spitz but would love to have another gsd one day.

I have had Labrador, Italian Spinone, Hungarian Vizslas, Whippet & GSP. The Vizsla is the only breed I've had twice. Although I have 'switched breeds' several times I've only once 'switched groups' when I got a Hound instead of a Gundog. I have loved all the breeds I've had and would have any of them again, and there are other breeds I'd like to one day own. I doubt I will venture out of the Gundog group very often though, they suit me and I enjoy Gundog work. To raise and train, the biggest difference has been bewtween the Whippet and the other dogs. The Whippet is a more independant dog that doesn't have the same 'willing to please' attitude. However, he's a far lower maintenance dog being lower in energy and training needs.

I'm not sure I have a favourite breed, I have things I like better than the others in each breed. I like the variety and experienceing new breeds. Having said that my next dog will probably be a Vizsla or GSP as they suit what I want to so with my dogs at the moment.

Growing up we had English Cockers, Shelties, Labs and Maltese. I currently have an English Cocker and a Beagle X.

I want to own a pure Beagle and will always have a beagle in my life. I will probly never own another cocker only because they would never compare in anyway shape or form to my current cocker. She is my heart dog

We always had working breeds. First border collies, then as lifestyle changed, we had shelties.

One year, I went to look at shelties at a Royal Brisbane Show & toy breeds were 'on' downstairs. I've never been a small dog person, but I had a look. Then I saw a row of beautiful small dogs that were so different. No twittering or twitching. They just sat calmly & looked me straight in the eye as if assessing me. I asked what they were. Tibetan Spaniels. Within a couple of months I came to own one. And we've owned tibbies ever since.

Biggest change was the total difference in thinking-type. The working breeds were trained because they were eager to obey. But the tibbies looked at me coolly to work thro' this process.

First, they had to think for themselves...'.Yes, this person I would accept' (& when they do, the reward is the most loving loyalty).

Second, they had to have a think about 'requests' to obey something....the.tibbie attitude is ... 'And the point of this, is?'

But once they decide it makes sense to them, you never have to 'tell' them again. They cotton on to the context. Like the tibbies soon learn that all good things come to them after they've been asked to 'Sit'. From then on, I found the tibbies would automatically 'Sit' when that context occurred. I didn't have to tell them. (Yes, in their clever way, they'd figured out how to do reverse obedience. :laugh: )

Edited by mita

I grew up with mainly German Sheps, and German Shep. crosses,although our first family dog was a Great Dane.

Then we got our first Boxer, and afew months later our second (bondi) - two naughty boxer pups together :thumbsup: That was fun! :(

I've fallen hook,line and sinker for Boxers, and cannot see myself without one. :)

I have recently aquired a Sibe, and although I'm very bonded to him and he is to me, I think I've become attatched to Wolf and not the actual husky breed. He is just special.

So for me it'l be Boxers... and the odd sibe :o

Although I do really want a Dobe and a Cane Corso one day :( Love my Group 6 Utility dogs ;)