Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

Hi Ruby Star

We decided to make the Chicken and Rice Kibble slightly larger so it was easier to differentiate. from the Lamb & Rice Kibble,

The Chicken and Rice is the same blend as the Lamb & Rice, but using chicken, chicken is lighter in colour,

The Chicken & Rice formula is lower in protein 22% and lower in fat 12%

Hope this helps

regards

Sherel

Hi guys, I just bought a new 20kg bag of the new Chicken and Rice, having only ever fed the Lamb and Rice prior.

Can anyone tell me if the shape has changed just for this flavour, or has it changed for the lamb one, too?

The lamb one was a deep rich brown and smaller, and I know it's hard to judge just on looks but it just looked like good quality, the biscuits were smooth, and I found the smell pleasant and rich (for a dog food that is, certainly didn't do anything for my personal appetite! laugh.gif)

However, I have opened the bag of Chicken & Rice to find the biscuits flatter and rounder, lighter in colour and rough, and just all round looking like an inferior product. If it didn't come out of a Black Hawk bag, I would swear it was cheap stuff :o It is quite comparable to the bag of Bonnie I have lying around from yonks ago.

Anyway, the dogs have only been on it for just under a week so I will keep an eye on them to see if anything changes. I'm sure it's all good, I was just wondering about other people's experiences and if it was just the Chicken & Rice that looked like this. If the Lamb & Rice hasn't changed, I'll be going back to that one when this bag is done.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really want to try the chicken, I think it will be better for my two chunkers! Will just have to watch the other two that they don't lose to much and just adjust portions if that happens. My supplier hasn't got the chicken one in yet but she said soon so hopefully by the time I need a new bag she will have some! :thumbsup:

Hi Ruby Star

We decided to make the Chicken and Rice Kibble slightly larger so it was easier to differentiate. from the Lamb & Rice Kibble,

The Chicken and Rice is the same blend as the Lamb & Rice, but using chicken, chicken is lighter in colour,

Hope this helps

regards

Sherel

Hi Sherel, thanks for that :) As I said, they've only just started on the chicken one so I will see if they do as well on it as the lamb. Really liked the lamb so hoping this one agrees with them as much! I'll have to feed them more then being lower in fat (which I didn't realise :o) as they were losing a bit of weight on the lamb. No biggie, I'll just keep an eye on them.

Edited by RubyStar

Hi Ruby Star

Hope this helps

regards

Sherel

Hi Sherel, thanks for that :) As I said, they've only just started on the chicken one so I will see if they do as well on it as the lamb. Really liked the lamb so hoping this one agrees with them as much! I'll have to feed them more then being lower in fat (which I didn't realise :o) as they were losing a bit of weight on the lamb. No biggie, I'll just keep an eye on them.

I don't need to feed more, in fact they're on less now but it will go up again once they're back in shape

Hi Ruby Star

Hope this helps

regards

Sherel

I don't need to feed more, in fact they're on less now but it will go up again once they're back in shape

Which is where I am at now. My two can't afford to lose anymore weight :)

I have been using Black Hawk for nearly a year now and for the most part no problems and was happy with it.

But now I notice ALL my dogs coats are not as shiny and glossy as they usually are. :confused: It took a while but I'm not impressed with their coats right now. There could well be other factors involved, but I have to say that diet is one that come to mind immediately as one of the possible causes, as well as seasonal changes perhaps. :(

I'm going to switch back to previously used brands and see what happens.

UPDATE*

Sad to say that although initially very pleased with Black Hawk, my Cavaliers have not done well on it, with continual bouts of upset tummies and poor coat condition. :(

After swithing back to a previously used brand with a Probiotic they are all well and coats are now back in great condition, shiny and glossy again. Just doesn't agree with them. This is just MY OWN personal experience.

I won a 20kg bag in a raffle at a dog show of the lamb and rice. I was very surprised at the teeny tiny pieces. Dogs like it but I hope it doesn't make them sick. And being very honest I am only feeding it cause I won it. No intention to buy it after this bag is done.

We have had our 4 dogs on black hawk and I am not impressed, my old poodle has dandruff for the first time in her life and all the dogs coats are drier than normal. Two of the four now refuse to eat it.

I also tried a sample of the cat food and not one of our four cats would touch it.

Complete waste if money we will be going back to the Purina small breed from the supermarket.

I had my blacks labs, an oldie and a youngster on it and had problems with their coats also, very dull and lots of dandruff. I switched them back to Nutro after 12 months of persevering with this food and within a month their coats were back in top condition, very shiny and no dandruff. A few months ago, I decided to try Royal Canin for Labs just to see what that was like to give a bit of variety and same result as Black Hawk within a couple of weeks, so took them off it, didn't even finish the bag.

Went back to Nutro and will stay on this as is the only dry food that all my black labs, past and present have done very well on as being black you can see very quickly the change in coat condition. Over the years I have tried a range of other premium/super premium brands all with same negative impact on my labs coat conditions and I have to keep going back to Nutro. My labs also get fed raw food as well, but I am done experimenting with changing their dry food. Out of all the various brands I have tried, Black Hawk and Royal Canin have had the worst impact on my labs coat condition :( .

I won a 20kg bag in a raffle at a dog show of the lamb and rice. I was very surprised at the teeny tiny pieces. Dogs like it but I hope it doesn't make them sick. And being very honest I am only feeding it cause I won it. No intention to buy it after this bag is done.

Sorry to sound a bit blunt....but you have won a $90 plus bag of premium dog biscuits. You are complaining about the small size of the kibble which is the same size as a LOT of Premium Dog Foods & you are almost willing your dogs to get sick on it. If you are so worried about the size of the kibble & are so worried about your dogs getting sick on it then show us where your heart is & donate it to a rescue centre....I sure they would appreciate it. For every dog that it doesn't agree with, like all kibbles, there are hundreds that thrive on it.

Had to donate my big bag of it, made my black lab beyond itchy and very dull coat, before I tried it never heard a bad word about it but now..... I wish I hadn't touched the stuff.

That's because people get abused when they share negative experiences :)

Had to donate my big bag of it, made my black lab beyond itchy and very dull coat, before I tried it never heard a bad word about it but now..... I wish I hadn't touched the stuff.

That's because people get abused when they share negative experiences :)

and those negative experiences are very common.

It's certainly no super premium food or even a "premium" food

Sorry to sound a bit blunt....but you have won a $90 plus bag of premium dog biscuits. You are complaining about the small size of the kibble which is the same size as a LOT of Premium Dog Foods & you are almost willing your dogs to get sick on it. If you are so worried about the size of the kibble & are so worried about your dogs getting sick on it then show us where your heart is & donate it to a rescue centre....I sure they would appreciate it. For every dog that it doesn't agree with, like all kibbles, there are hundreds that thrive on it.

I was surprised at the size, where is that complaining? and I wouldn't take it to a rescue and then hope it doesn't make their dogs sick. If it makes my dogs sick I'll be throwing it out.

I had my blacks labs, an oldie and a youngster on it and had problems with their coats also, very dull and lots of dandruff. I switched them back to Nutro after 12 months of persevering with this food and within a month their coats were back in top condition, very shiny and no dandruff. A few months ago, I decided to try Royal Canin for Labs just to see what that was like to give a bit of variety and same result as Black Hawk within a couple of weeks, so took them off it, didn't even finish the bag.

Went back to Nutro and will stay on this as is the only dry food that all my black labs, past and present have done very well on as being black you can see very quickly the change in coat condition. Over the years I have tried a range of other premium/super premium brands all with same negative impact on my labs coat conditions and I have to keep going back to Nutro. My labs also get fed raw food as well, but I am done experimenting with changing their dry food. Out of all the various brands I have tried, Black Hawk and Royal Canin have had the worst impact on my labs coat condition :( .

Yes did the same to my black labs as well as gunky ears. Like all dog foods whether they be the supermarket variety or super premiums, not all agree with all dogs. I have just come back from the dog park with my lab boy youngster who was playing with a gorgeous choccy kelpie who had a beautiful shiny glossy coat and looked the picture of health and I asked his owner what she was feeding her girl and she told me Supercoat. :D

I've used BH in the past and been happy with it but I have tried it again recently and it definitely doesn't agree with Simi. I also tried them on VAN and they don't do too well on that either. I recently brought a bag of Earthborn Hollistic Primitive and Simi is thriving on it. Her coat is no longer patchy and has gone back to its dark, rich red so it looks like I'll be sticking with EH and RMB.