Black Hawk Holistic

Guest belgian.blue

We have had our 4 dogs on black hawk and I am not impressed, my old poodle has dandruff for the first time in her life and all the dogs coats are drier than normal. Two of the four now refuse to eat it.

I also tried a sample of the cat food and not one of our four cats would touch it.

Complete waste if money we will be going back to the Purina small breed from the supermarket.

That's really interesting. My dog has been on BH for about three months and for the last two of those has had dandruff intermittently for the first time ever. I've just taken him off of it so I'm very keen to see if the dandruff disappears.

My Cavs coats became very dry and dull and yes, dandruff as in dry flakey skin was part of that. It took a few months on a previously used food to get them back to glossy and shiny with healthy skin.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had to donate my big bag of it, made my black lab beyond itchy and very dull coat, before I tried it never heard a bad word about it but now..... I wish I hadn't touched the stuff.

That's because people get abused when they share negative experiences :)

and those negative experiences are very common.

It's certainly no super premium food or even a "premium" food

The same could be said about ANY brand of food. I fed my Retriever Advance and she dropped massive amounts of weight and broke out in hot spots, so I put her back on Royal Canin. She did well on RC but I had to feed her twice the 'recommended' amount and it was starting to hurt the hip pocket, change her (and the others) to BH and they're all doing well and eating a more 'normal' amount.

There is nothing wrong with BH, if it didn't work for your dogs than thats fine, but there is no reason for people to start coming in here and slandering the brand for no reason

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would bump this thread up,

for the ones feeding the new chicken and rice, how is it going?

I just got my first bag yesterday and no complaints with their first nights meal from it. Not a bicky left.

I noticed it is a bit bigger than the lamb too. Not that that is any worry, the size is fine either way for my guys.

Haven't yet found a stockist of the Black Hawk chicken in adelaide yet. (The lamb doesn't seem to agree with my girl - but the puppy is doing very very well on the BH puppy)

Anyone know where I can get it in Adelaide?

Also - dobesrock - I tried my girl on the same earthborn, but saw no major difference in coat or skin (no improvement) so didn't see the point in spending the money on this for no noticeable difference. She is on nutro chicken and oatmeal now.

Haven't yet found a stockist of the Black Hawk chicken in adelaide yet. (The lamb doesn't seem to agree with my girl - but the puppy is doing very very well on the BH puppy)

Also - dobesrock - I tried my girl on the same earthborn, but saw no major difference in coat or skin (no improvement) so didn't see the point in spending the money on this for no noticeable difference. She is on nutro chicken and oatmeal now.

Hackham fodder stocks BH, if you are south of the city.

I saw Black Hawk today in a new shop in Bayswater, Victoria. Just opposite Bunnings on Canterbury Rd.

I went there today and got 10 pigs ears for $18.00 (today only) but most stuff seemed expensive Black Hawk was $99.98 a bag when you can get it for $90 at the Champion Pet place in Baywater Road.

Do they stock the chicken one though? I've found quite a few stockists of the lamb and the puppy - but I am struggling to find someone who has the chicken one. I would also want the small bag to start with to see if it agrees with her.

Do they stock the chicken one though? I've found quite a few stockists of the lamb and the puppy - but I am struggling to find someone who has the chicken one. I would also want the small bag to start with to see if it agrees with her.

Why don't you save your legs & ring around...there are heaps of retailers in SA. listed on the Black Hawk Web page. I tried to post you the link, but the link thingimy thing wouldn't work for me this morning. But just go to the website & ring around the retailers listed for Adelaide.

Why don't you save your legs & ring around...there are heaps of retailers in SA. listed on the Black Hawk Web page. I tried to post you the link, but the link thingimy thing wouldn't work for me this morning. But just go to the website & ring around the retailers listed for Adelaide.

My inability to find the chicken version is from ringing the other stockists in my area. Before I ring every store on the list, thought I might just check in here and see if anyone else in Adelaide has found the chicken version.

I saw Black Hawk today in a new shop in Bayswater, Victoria. Just opposite Bunnings on Canterbury Rd.

I went there today and got 10 pigs ears for $18.00 (today only) but most stuff seemed expensive Black Hawk was $99.98 a bag when you can get it for $90 at the Champion Pet place in Baywater Road.

Ours are 10 for $15.00 or $14.25 for members everyday and they are the big Aussie ones but we are in SA :laugh:

Is Nutro grain free? I've got one of mine on BH and she is thriving on it (best coat in ages), the other gets yeasty ears so have switched her to Eagle Pack Holistic grain free. No idea if it's doing her ears any good or not (as we had the ears flushed not too long ago so right now they're ok), but wanted her to be on grain free just for that bit of extra help. EPH is expensive though and I'm looking for an alternative grain free that is slightly cheaper - it costs $85 for 12kg while BH costs $95 for 20kg!

Is Nutro grain free? I've got one of mine on BH and she is thriving on it (best coat in ages), the other gets yeasty ears so have switched her to Eagle Pack Holistic grain free. No idea if it's doing her ears any good or not (as we had the ears flushed not too long ago so right now they're ok), but wanted her to be on grain free just for that bit of extra help. EPH is expensive though and I'm looking for an alternative grain free that is slightly cheaper - it costs $85 for 12kg while BH costs $95 for 20kg!

Nutro doesn't have any grain free formulas. Which Holistic Select variety are you using that is grain free? If you are looking for a food that is wheat, soy, corn and beet pulp free then there certainly are some great options out there, or if you want a food that has no grains or cereals at all, then you need a product that is actually packaged as grain free (Artemis Maximal, Canidae has 4 grain free, Earthborn Holistic has 2 grain free, Taste of the Wild, Evo, etc).

Sags

:)