Saying 'thank You' To Dogs

We have this kind of dialogue in my house, regularly.

MOVE!!!! . . . dog moves, reluctantly.

Thank you! good girl! Scratch scratch / pat pat.

I feel a little silly saying thank you to the dogs, but I can't help myself. And I think they've come to regard it as a reward, particularly for obeying commands they don't specially want to obey. Also seems good, if kids happen to be watching, to reinforce ideas of politeness. I avoid 'Please' . . . dogs understand commands but I think requests are confusing.

How do others use polite words with dogs? Or am I just a little crazy?

Edited by sandgrubber

Yep say thank you automatically.

Thought it was very cute to hear my 3 and a half year old politely asking one of the dogs to move then saying thank you with a nice pat.

To me it shows manners are automatic - the way I like them. I am sure to the dog they are just blah blah, but it sounds good :)

Well not quite like that.

I really just expect them to follow short commands and I think they know my routines so they often do what I require without me actually speaking.

I do however often praise with a good girl / good boy them for for doing what I require. But then they also get lots of attention for just being there.

Yes I say thank you as well :laugh: Last night I took the girls out to go to the toilet last thing. I talk nicely to them and praise them and then I can hear nextdoor speaking to their dog, "MOVE". And then some grumbles. They always speak in such a grumpy way to the dogs :( That or shouting :( The dogs respond so much better to kind voices!

I constantly talk to my Luci & Rosie, they have a wide vocabulary. I say slippers, I get slippers. I say get the phone, they retrieve my handset. I say who's there? they go look out the window. I tell them to wake the kids up, they will depending on who I nominate. I often say thank you to them. Luci used to react if I say "excuse me?"...she would know what she was doing what was inappropriate and change her behaviour. Made that mistake in company (ppl I didnt know) and ended up getting greasy looks...they didnt assume I was talking to the dog. :laugh: Embarrasssing, so now I make the throat clearing sound..works the same and no strange looks!!!

I say thank you to mine, particularly when they have alerted me to a sound. if they don't stop after one thank you, I go and look and say thank you again, for warning me about the danger they believed was there. it stops me from getting frustrated by them for barking.

No, I don't thank my dogs, but I see nothing wrong with doing it. I have seen people do it.

I also know people who ask their dogs politely to sit, including the 'please', but they have always been well trained dogs that obey anyway.

Yes! All the time! Whenever they do me a favour!

I sometimes drop food and will say “Clean up on aisle three please”. I thank them once they clean up.

Bubby also barks to alert people approaching the house. I always say “Thank you darling, that will be enough for now”

:D Yep - another one who says thank you (or sometimes thank you very much) to the dogs. I do it around the house, and for Rory when I want him to drop a frisbee ball or whatever (not for a formal obedience retrieve delivered to hand). I also say thank you to them for a really nice job in the ring - e.g nice agility run or tracking for Kirra, show win for Rory. :D