Poll On Yahoo - Should Rottweilers Be Outlawed In Australia

TrinaJ

I voted no a few times. Why on earth pick on Rotties. I had a Rotti/Bullmastiff once and I wish I had taken a pic of her and I sitting on our garden seat waiting for OH to get home from work. She had the Rotti colours but looked more like a mastiff, Couldn't have got sookier dog, she loved everything and everybody. The trouble is with these people who are talking about banning different breeds, they have probably never been within cooee of them.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The GSD ban from 1928 - 1972 didn't work (not that there was a real reason to ban the breed in the first place but anyway...) so what makes the pollies think that banning another breed will solve the problem????

because they like to play to popular opinion at the time, that they will get some gold stars come next election

This poll is ridiculous....Rotti's are the most beautiful loving loyal dogs, apart from when they are in the hands of a dickhead and being taught to bite. However like any human race, dog breed etc, there are a small handful or huge manority who make or create a bad name for the rest.... then to top it off, the media reports are mostly exaggerated which creates many people in the community believing what they hear/read... sadly :(

Poll now at

Yes - 5523 (37%)

No - 9320 (63%) - getting there :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

This poll is ridiculous....Rotti's are the most beautiful loving loyal dogs, apart from when they are in the hands of a dickhead and being taught to bite. However like any human race, dog breed etc, there are a small handful or huge manority who make or create a bad name for the rest.... then to top it off, the media reports are mostly exaggerated which creates many people in the community believing what they hear/read... sadly :(

Poll now at

Yes - 5523 (37%)

No - 9320 (63%) - getting there :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

What's wrong with that in the right situation?

Even if a dog knows how to bite (where legal), it shouldn't randomly attack people outside its property.

There is a difference between a good 'guard' dog and a crazy/violent dog. A proper well trained Rottweiler is a good guardian and family dog at the same time.

Edited by DerRottweiler

Who is running this poll, what do they do with the results, who takes any notice of it. Have any previous polls they have conducted on anything had any effect on anyone?

I hate all opinion polls, to me they they are always misleading, skewed, or without good reason - I won't even touch a poll here on DOL, I have no respect for their so-called conclusions or findings, and the subjects are usually pathetically trite or just busy-bodying. Like this one - it is just stirring nasty opinion from people who previously didn't even have one.

I might motivate myself to vote on this one, I have a Rottweiler, (I think in her next registration round she might turn into a Labrador Cross).

Who is running this poll, what do they do with the results, who takes any notice of it. Have any previous polls they have conducted on anything had any effect on anyone?

PossumCorner have you seen this article? I posted It In another thread, seems some do take notice to polls

Moreton Bay Regional Council has ordered a rethink into their stance on dangerous dogs following a campaign started by the Redcliffe and Bayside Herald. Cr Sutherland called for a review into American pit bull ownership after it was revealed they were the only council in southeast Queensland that has not banned the breed.

``In accordance with Queensland Government legislation, we have some of the most stringent requirements on restricted dogs and their owners, anywhere in the country,`` Cr Sutherland said.

``While we have implemented the strict conditions outlined in the state legislation, our community needs to be satisfied we have got the balance right.

I have directed council officers to review the restriction regime in place to make sure we deliver the best outcomes for the community.''

In an online poll run by the Redcliffe & Bayside Herald over the last two weeks, the community has voted overwhelmingly in favour of banning dangerous dog breeds.

We asked, "Should fighting-dog breeds be banned?" Of more than 1500 votes, almost 75% have said "Yes".

Cr Sutherland said council officers would now be seeking advice from experts in the field including the RSPCA.

The review will look at the law in other council jurisdictions and whether council should toughen its restrictions and will be presented to council in coming weeks.

Our Biting Back campaign was launched on August 17 in response to an increasing number of dog attacks in the Moreton Bay region.

Cr Sutherland had previously refused to ban the breed until they "proved to be problematic", and said the council feared banning the breed would drive it 'underground'.

This report is part of the Redcliffe & Bayside Herald's Biting Back campaign, which launched on August 17 in response to an increasing number of dog attacks in the Moreton Bay region. Nobody should feel unsafe on the streets because of irresponsible pet owners . We highlight the issue, provide advice on handling unrestrained animals, and remind pet owners of their responsibilities. For more reports from the Biting Back campaign, follow the Related Coverage

In the hands of Responsible Owners this is what would be reported in the news. :D

Gardai were called yesterday to the Killarney All Breed Ch.Show to investigate an incident involving a Rottweiler dog and a 9 year old child. The Irish Kennel Club sanctions the event, held by the Killarney & District Canine Club annually. Thousands of exhibitors and spectators were in attendance.

According to witnesses, a child was walking near the show rings unsupervised when she suddenly came face to face with the 110 lb Rottweiler dog. The child threw her arms around the dog’s neck, reports say, when the unthinkable happened.

The dog began enthusiastically licking the girl’s face as his tail wagged briskly.

“It was awful”, said one bystander, “there was nothing we could do. That dog was just giving that child every ounce of love he had and no one did a thing to stop it”. Another witness, who took video of the event, said “This happens all the time; I don’t know how it hasn’t made the news before now”.

One spectator, who declined to be named, told reporters “The sounds were just heart wrenching, all that laughing and giggling. It made me smile so hard my face hurts. I plan to sue for pain and suffering”.

The handler of the dog admits this is not the first time such an incident has occurred, and that the owners were “well aware of the stable, loving and patient temperament of this dog”. She further admitted that she would continue to permit the dog to act in this manner in the future. The owners were unavailable for comment.

The five year old male Rottweiler apparently has a history of sudden, unanticipated acts of joy. The large, powerful dog has been sighted at a number of recent events happily greeting fanciers and families. “I don’t know why we are being singled out”, stated the handler, “I’ve seen dozens of other Rottweilers acting in the exact same way.” She went on to offer examples of similar incidents involving Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Rottweillers, Dobermanns, German Shepherds, and more. “If people just opened their eyes to the social side of these beautiful dogs, these incidents wouldn’t seem so random or surprising.”

Rottweilers are a member of the FCI’s Group 2, a classification of dogs who are renowned for providing specialized services and tasks to their owners. The Rottweiler is considered to be one of the oldest dog breeds. Its origin goes back to Roman times. These dogs were kept as herder or driving dogs, and are said to be good-natured, placid in basic disposition and fond of children, very devoted, obedient, biddable and eager to work. His appearance is natural and rustic, his behaviour self-assured, steady and fearless. He reacts to his surroundings with great alertness.

Gardai state that the handler, who was noticeably unrepentant, was cited for Reckless Entertainment. The Rottweiler dog was given roasted chicken treats and was not taken into custody.

that reminds me of when I was walking my rotti x rescue , a small child who was autistic bolted from his mother and did the same to my boy, virtual launched himself at Chopper and gave him a bear hug , was received with much licking and wagging , the tail being the only dangerous thing about the dog ,if it hits u with wagged enthusiasm

so obv I votede NO :)