Not Happy Jan - People Ignoring 'rules'

poochmad

I'm quite happy with putting the dogs into a kennel and we have in the past. It is my husband who does not want this; he wants them looked after at home so the house is looked after as well.

Why do you need the house "looked after"? If you leave it empty, it won't get dirty or messy and will be there just as you left it :p

I hear you! :) But my husband is a funny man sometimes...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite happy with putting the dogs into a kennel and we have in the past. It is my husband who does not want this; he wants them looked after at home so the house is looked after as well.

Then you need to ask your husband what he would prefer, dogs safe and secure or coming home to one maybe dead?

Husband stays home to look after house. Poochmad goes on holiday for 2 weeks. Problem solved :).

Seriously, when I was young we got a house sitter while we went overseas. When we got home the house had been trashed when he threw an epic party. A family friend came around and found strangers doing the horizontal tango in my parent's bed. The house would have been better off left unoccupied for a few weeks.

Poochmad don't put them in the kennels that mismanaged kennelling for another local person and ended up killing their dog very traumatically (heatstroke). Apologising and paying vet bills doesn't bring dogs back. And yes, they are still in operation.

I agree with what you said _Megan, that is exactly why I think they did it. The funny thing is, when they were leaving, they said, we don't think you should walk her down the street and I said I know, we don't due to her issues! I thought what cheek of them telling me what to do, when they had ignored me!

Why do you need the house "looked after"? If you leave it empty, it won't get dirty or messy and will be there just as you left it :p

The one thought about needing housesitters for longer holidays..... I discovered when dad had to have an extended stay in hospital, that a house needs to be occupied for at least 2 days per month for the insurance to be ok. My brother and I took turns. Still think I would kennel the dogs though.

How disappointing for you. I can understand that you would be mighty unimpressed and it has probably put you off house sitters.

We have had our pets and home looked after several times by house sitters. We started that instead of kennels when our old boy was becoming disorientated and needed to stay in a familiar environment. So far, we have used three different families. We have had one small problem but it was quickly resolved with some communication. We still keep in touch with all of them and they visit us if they're passing through. We have a new dog now who has some issues that still need some ongoing management. I would be confident that my instructions in relation to his issues would be followed by any of the three families who have stayed at our place. We would discuss his needs and if I thought they weren't able to understand (it's not terribly tricky) or if they thought they knew better, they wouldn't be welcome in our home.

Tintin Jac, can you please pass on details in a pm of your house sitters. Mostly my other half and I have to take separate holidays, because one of us has to stay for the animals as we have both dogs and cats. Quite a few of the kennels wont take NON desexed cats, I breed and show my cats as well as dogs, so of course they are not desexed and the males cannot ever be housed together.

When I was quite a bit younger I used to do house sitting myself, only ever in houses with animals to be looked after, mostly other show dog owners. I would never have gone against the rules laid down, and did used to prefer that as much was written down as possible, I could tell some stories from the other side too. But I do believe that most of the dogs were really quite content, getting the same food as they were used to and in their home environment. Some barely acknowledged their owners return. Personally I think if you get good pet sitters it is better for the dogs and most definitely for cats, but the emphasis on the good.

To the OP, I would speak to the sitters you had and explain you are not happy with what you have been told and the reasons why. I will make you feel better and perhaps make them safer house sitters for the next person with pets.

I've used house sitters before with no real dramas. I cant kennel my dogs and wont leave them unattended so pay people to house/dog sit. It's worked well for me before. I am going away next week though and am house swapping with a friend which works out well. They want a country holiday but have their own dogs which they cant bring here, I want a city holiday so we just swap houses. Works well!

Poochmad

Were the rules written down - with the reasons for them? And consequences - eg if the house sitters broke the rules -you'd expect them to pay for vet bills and behaviourist trainer bills resulting?

If the dogs were not to be walked in certain places - did you make a map for them of where they could take them?

I used to write a huge list of rules - and then put the three priority ones at the front.

No sleeping in my bed without discussing it with me first - I will notice and I will freak out.

If you break something - bad luck - but let me know so I don't waste hours looking for it. Or if it's a big thing I can claim on my insurance.

These days - my dogs go to kennels recommended by friends and that my dog enjoys.

RSPCA here has been recommended by lots of friends - but next time she goes there (it's much safer than the hills one in Summer), I will ask them to check her tummy for rash every day. Cos she's a sneaky licker chewer - does it at 5:30am when nobody is looking.

Put the dogs in a reliable kennel, at least you will know where they are. :)

This is what I would say too. Sooo many things can go wrong with house sitting. Kennels might not be quite the same for them as playing on the back lawn all day& sleeping on the bed all night, but with a good kennel at least you know their primary role is to keep your dogs locked up safely. I'd holiday a lot happier knowing that my dogs were locked up at 'Fort Knox Kennels' than wondering all the time if while they were out on their walks with a sitter that they were being managed appropriately and whether the environment around them being managed well, and that aunt floss or the meter reader guy didn't leave the gate open etc.

Totally agree. If I had housesitters looking after my dogs I would constantly worry about doors being left open, dogs taken to dog parks, dogs allowed to bark!!! I'd much rather put them in a safe kennel.

I am so lucky to have a friend that has kennels and that I know would look after my dogs properly if I ever needed it.

I also have a neighbour who knows my dogs' issues (2 have to be separate at all times), and is happy to come feed and check on them for short periods of time - like when I found myself emergency admitted to hospital twice last year. You just can't beat having awesome neighbours... *grin*

Then again - I haven't gone away on holiday in many years... I'd rather be with my dogs...

T.

kennels everytime....they might not be happy but they will be safe! For a few weeks I can live with my dogs being less than happy than if they were home but I could not deal with a tragedy if they were allowed out the gate and hit by a car if the house sitter was careless....it only takes one slip up.

The only person on earth besides my husband that I trust to look after my animals properly is my Mum, however as we have now moved two hours away and have eight dogs (used to only be four), plus an assortment of farm animals, that is no longer feasible. If we ever get the chance to go away again I would definately use kennels for at least the dogs (do kennels board pet pigs?).

A few years ago I trusted a very close friend to look after our dogs when we were preparing to move from NZ to Aus (only two dogs back then). The dogs were staying at her house, we moved them there a day before we were due to fly out (doggies were following a week later, to give us time to settle so they didn't arrive into chaos).

I rang that night (flying out next day) just to make sure everything had gone okay and she said that someone had accidentally left the front door open, Smudge had gotten out and trotted off down the (very busy main) road, "but it was okay, 'cos she came back again". I went around straight away, picked them up and took them to a kennel the next morning before we flew out. It may have been "okay 'cos Smudge came back again", but what if it hadn't been? Kennels may not be the happiest environment for a dog, but they are certainly the safest. Just choose the kennels wisely and the dogs will be healthy and safe upon your return.

As well as going against your wishes, I'd have been absolutely ropable that they tied her to a post, and on the main street! What if she'd had a fear response, and had slipped her collar? Completely irresponsible. :mad

As soon as they told me this I would have calmly (and icily) replied that I would be submitting a written complaint. If they have advised their boss that they are competent in a dog minding situation in addition to general house sitting then I'd be expecting them to follow instructions to the letter. Any deviation from this is not acceptable. They should only mind petless houses if they are not prepared to respect the owner's wishes. It is not their right to second guess your instructions for your dog.

Wow, sorry, ranted more than the OP :o

I would be furious.

I had my MIL look after my dogs. She didn't listen eitehr and I have just had to pay out $2300 for TPLO surgery to fix the issue she caused by not supervising correctly. Even after my SIL told her the dogs were being allowed to be far to rough in their playing.

The only house sitter I have ever trusted was my friend. You would arrive home and the only way you knew she had been was the note that was left. All bedding was washed and the bed remade, all animals happy and the house as clean as when you walked out. Pity I don't trust anyone else as much as her. All rules were followed to the letter which was vitally important.

Poochmad if your husband is worried about the security of the house is there any reason you can't kennel the dogs AND get a house sitter for the house? That way he would be happy the house was safe and you could relax knowing the dogs were also safe. I can understand wanting to make sure the house is secure and on the face of it it seems crazy not to leave the dogs at home if someone is there but I could not relax on holiday unless I knew the dogs were safely kennelled, I have some lovely friends who would gladly house sit here but the dogs have pretty specific needs and although I don't think they would ignore instructions necessarily I would be too paranoid something would go wrong - we are lucky to have a great,trustworthy kennel nearby.

Personally I have had some shocking experiences at kennels and would far prefer my dogs stay home in their own home. Owning shelties I am very aware of things such as dogs escaping so my property is very securely fenced, front and back and the dogs are only allowed in the back area so very little chance of escaping as they woudl have to get through multiple doors and fences. I don't permit them to walk them and would only allow them off the property in a case of an emergency which far reduces the chances of any issues arising.

I also find my sitters by word of mouth and have never had any issues with them doing exactly what I want. Mind you I leave an entire folder of instructions and phone every day. There has been the occasional issue but it is normally one of the dogs misbehaving and I have friends I can call on to intervene in that instance.