Bloody March Flies

donski

Well the marchies are out and about and can be quite painful and annoying. They really attack the two dogs, one of whom is now reluctant to come outside at all. I don't want to spray the boys with aero guard as its quite toxic and they could lick it off themselves.

It's way too hot to have any sort of covering over them, so does anyone have any ideas of how to protect them please?

What flea protection do your dogs have ?

Our dogs do not get any spot on or tablets ..they get sprayed with permoxin every couple of days - keeps away flies/mozzies too :)

We use either permoxin or Advantix (depending on which one I find first in the dog junk) and although it does seem to work, it needs to be re-applied a fair bit and I've noticed that both permoxin and Advantix are oily so.. everything sticks to it.

Our old bitch doesn't like having things put on her so she goes straight to her favourite hidey spot after they've been applied- the dogs' sand pit :mad Advantix plastered down with sand on a mostly white dog.. *head-desk*

Edited to add..

In the past I've used Advocate on the back of the old bitch's ears and that seemed to work quite well. Not as oily as Advantix or Permoxin, either.

I'd stay away from most of the other sprays as I've yet to find one that works longer than a few minutes.

Edited by Hardy's Angel

permoxin oily???

never noticed that , it is almost undetectable ..and certainly doesn't attract our dust etc....When we had a mozzie plague year before last all the dogs were sprayed every night for a few months ..mostly ears & bellies. it worked wonderfully :)

Yes, bloody Marchies alright :mad They are out in droves here atm & are giving both of my guys hell. They really sting & hurt. I have both of mine of Advantix fortnightly. But am also

spraying them every morning with Troy's Repel X spray. Works really well & does seem to keep them away. It isn't oily & doesn't smell too bad. Both my dogs are really nervous now & as soon as anything starts

buzzing around them they go off looney, snapping & growling trying to get them before it bites them. I have to wear repellent as well they are everywhere. I have never seem them as bad.

I had a really hard time trying to cross the street the other day before applying the deterent as one was buzzing around & both Sonny & Stella were snapping & spinning around, much to the amusement of passing motorists :o

Hope I was of some help donski :)

Edited by BC Crazy

March flies dont like the colours red, yellow or orange. They are attracted to dark colours and also especially like blue. I know you said you dont want to cover them but perhaps a light jacket or tshirt in one of the colours they dont like, or perhaps the bedding they lay on outside could be red or yellow, maybe even just a bright red collar would deter them. :shrug:

March flies dont like the colours red, yellow or orange. They are attracted to dark colours and also especially like blue. I know you said you dont want to cover them but perhaps a light jacket or tshirt in one of the colours they dont like, or perhaps the bedding they lay on outside could be red or yellow, maybe even just a bright red collar would deter them. :shrug:

b

Well I was wearing an orange top yesterday and the ****** were biting me :grimace: , they don't seem to bother my dogs but they've both got a lot of coat at the minute.

permoxin oily???

never noticed that , it is almost undetectable ..and certainly doesn't attract our dust etc....When we had a mozzie plague year before last all the dogs were sprayed every night for a few months ..mostly ears & bellies. it worked wonderfully :)

Might be worse with greyhounds because there isn't much hair to soak it up so the excess moisture causes things to stick to it.

Even with Advocate, they have large wet patches on their backs for a few days afterwards. Interestingly, the old dog has the least problems and I suspect this is because his coat is very thick for a greyhound and his skin is fairly oily (which I suppose would help move the product over the rest of the skin).

People with cats need to be aware not to use permoxin on their dogs.

For ear tips or actual bites Septicide cream from a horse supplies store is great, as is zinc oxide cream from the baby section in the supermarket. We used it when I was a kid on mum's GSDs.

little black bush flies are the greatest problem here,we use Bushmans,most days it only has to be applied once,on a really bad day sometimes twice.

I better tell the marchies up this way they don't like yellow, I wear extremely bright yellow singles,so I can be seen but they still bite me.

Rick

I have March flies too and they can make a mess of the poor dogs' ears.

The best product I've found is "Muscoban" - it comes in a spray bottle and you just spray on the dogs ears or wherever's getting bothered and it's fantastic.

I gave some to my neighbour for her Mastiff boy as he's been chewed each summer and really suffered. He was covered in flies when I went over the first time but within seconds of the spray going on they'd disappeared. Saw him again last week and not a fly in sight!

I searched for it online and bought it that way, haven't seen it for sale anywhere else.

Might also be worth using QuickBayt, especially if you have cats and can't use permoxin/Advantix. I use this in the dog room and it's incredibly effective. If they don't like red though (our flies seem to love it), you'll need to find the white formula rather than the red one. I got the red version the second time around and it actually seemed to attract a lot more flies of different sorts so.. :shrug:

permoxin oily???

Might be worse with greyhounds because there isn't much hair to soak it up so the excess moisture causes things to stick to it.

Even with Advocate, they have large wet patches on their backs for a few days afterwards. Interestingly, the old dog has the least problems and I suspect this is because his coat is very thick for a greyhound and his skin is fairly oily (which I suppose would help move the product over the rest of the skin).

Yes the Advantix is so oily it leaves big oily patches on my two for ages. Never had a problem on my old boy who had a thick coat, it just disappeared.

:laugh: at Sally doing the "crumbed cutlet" in the sand pit.

My black male standard will only go out in the early morning and after sundown - he pees and runs back inside - I mostly have to leash him to get him to stay out long enough to poop. Can't wait till March fly season is over

My black male standard will only go out in the early morning and after sundown - he pees and runs back inside - I mostly have to leash him to get him to stay out long enough to poop. Can't wait till March fly season is over

My blue whippets get bothered by them more than the other coloured whippets