How Did Your Dog Get It's Name?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not DD! Was it you who had Caramel and Vanilla?

Yes, but they were already called that. They and their puppy had been surrendered to the pound. For some unaccountable reason, their puppy was called Bear. Another rescue took him.

Vanilla became Nilla and Caramel remains Caramel.

One of my big disappointments with regards to name is that I rescued a little Pomeranian a couple of years ago and called her Oona. Always loved that name and had waited years for the right dog to come along.

Her new owners called her Frou Frou :(:( . It's their prerogative :laugh: :laugh:

damascaus... lab x american staffy first thing that came to mind when i saw him

some other dogs in my life

jack short for jack attack (over enthusiastic dalmation)

tyson- boxer odvious reasons

banner- collie x long fringe hair that was like a banner

Mac came with it - Wildenfox Macarthur

Archie - we spent hours coming up with a cute name

Marie came with it - Xkaliba Marie Louise

Grover - we were looking for a Scottish name and came across one name that meant "Grove of Trees" and somehow being silly we came up with Grover which seemed perfect

Bazinga - my son came up with and it just seemed awesome

Mike - he was one of two pups born by c-section as they were heavyweights so as a joke I called them Mike & Tyson - it stuck

Ace came with it - Whistlewood's Acey Mac

Arrow - he has an arrow shaped spot on his neck

Essentially I like names that make me laugh so when picking a name it has to have amusement value. We have, however, decided that we can't have any more dogs with names starting with A or M as it is already getting very, very confusing!

Acheron - we had that picked out long before we got him. He is a character in a book, a dark, dangerous and sexy guy. I think that suits a Dobermann to a tea :)

Simi - also picked out in advance, from the same series of books as Acheron. Simi is Acherons pet demon.

Flash - she was a fat little ball when we first got her but now she is a typical JRT and is as quick as a flash, so it worked out well.

Barkley - when I first saw him he had a long fringe hanging over his eyes, just like the dog in Seseme Street.

Piper - I just liked the name and had 3 or 4 short listed to consider. When we picked her up we tried them out driving home and Piper just suited her best.

Jazz - was 1 of my short listed names for Piper.

Cinna - Her pedigree name is Girl on Fire. We came up with that first and had no pet names in mind at all then I thought of the Hunger Games and how Catniss was referred to as the girl on fire. I didn't think I could use Catniss but Cinna was the designer that came up with the outfit that gave her that name. So it became Cinna. I am already getting sick of explaining it though and that yes I know Cinna in the book is a male and no it is not spelt Sinner. LOL. She actually had the name before she was born but I wouldn't tell people or use it until we knew if she was staying even though she was the only girl in the litter.

Rommi is because her rego'd name was Lil Sea Urchin and Romi means sea mist in welsh. I wanted to pronounce it Rommi so added the extra m so it was more likely to be spelt correctly, no such luck and I often think I should have just spelt it Romi and pronounced it Rommi :)

Lewis came with his name, but when he was a pup my friend had a short list of four and asked for votes, I voted for Lewis so I can't complain about that can I - suits him perfectly :)

Goose - he went thorugh a few names but well teh dog is a bloody Goose so it stuck. As he is a pup he also gets called The Gosling and Loosey Goosey.

Then we have cats

Harrison Barney - this is what happens when dad and kids name creatures

Merlin and Arthur came with their names also but I like them. Merlins rego's name is Merlin, Arthurs is Quinn which I also like.

Pet Sheep is Baart Morris Anthony James - Baart Morris is what we came up with a friend added the nest two :)

We also have Zac (Anzac) the Alpaca who was born on Anzac day, and Matilda his friend who had to have an Aussie name to go with Anzac

My coolie is called Xena the warrior princess which the ex named and when I got the second one she became Gabrielle cause in the show she is her side kick and Xena always got her out of trouble so that is why she became Gabrielle. Also had a chocolate kelpie Milo very original. The border collie belongs to my mum and she named it Inka and she thought it was unusual and noone had that as a name. It was also in her pedigree name as the pups were lords and ladys

Snowy - named after my OH's best mate who was killed in Afghanistan, his nickname was Snowy. Our dog is a lot like a dog version of human Snowy, silly and lovable and loyal. It confuses a lot of people though because our Snowy is a pretty dark golden and people are like '.... he's not white, why'd you name him Snowy?' :confused: :confused:

Bonn is short for Bonnerville.( motorbike).

Ozzie, after Ozzie Osbourne.

Appollo, just like it.

Razzle , after the drummer in Hanoi Rocks.

Roadie, liked the name.

Muttley, after Dick Dastardly's dog.

Paddy got his name "Paddington" as he looked for all the world like a Teddy bear when I first met him, and to add to that we picked him up from the airport. His breeder was happy for his registered name to be Paddington Bear....all that was missing was the "please look after this bear..." note around his neck :)

Edited by ktig

Mac came with it - Wildenfox Macarthur

Archie - we spent hours coming up with a cute name

Marie came with it - Xkaliba Marie Louise

Grover - we were looking for a Scottish name and came across one name that meant "Grove of Trees" and somehow being silly we came up with Grover which seemed perfect

Bazinga - my son came up with and it just seemed awesome

Mike - he was one of two pups born by c-section as they were heavyweights so as a joke I called them Mike & Tyson - it stuck

Ace came with it - Whistlewood's Acey Mac

Arrow - he has an arrow shaped spot on his neck

Essentially I like names that make me laugh so when picking a name it has to have amusement value. We have, however, decided that we can't have any more dogs with names starting with A or M as it is already getting very, very confusing!

My mum has a tabby cat called Joe after the boxer Joe Frasier. It was abandoned by its mother (a local stray no-one can catch) at maybe only 4 weeks of age at mum and dad's place. It took mum weeks of leaving food out for this tiny, lonely thing before she was able to hold it and show it real love. Due to him being a fighter he got a fighter's name!

Snorki (boxer) because his face was just tooo squishable and he made snorking sounds

Clem (boxer) if that dog could have talked he'd have had a hillybilly accent.

Boss (Rotti) he was a big boof head largest in the litter.

Sam (Rotti) Such A Madam became Sam

Sami (staffy x) kids refused to believe a female dog could have another name other than Sam.

Diva (SBT) current dog, Sandra sent her up here with the name and it fits she's a little precious when it comes to puddles and getting her feet wet.

Radar (wolfhound x) current pup, the kids have a cartoon they watch with a rescue dog named Radar

Gus was already called Gus when he came from the shelter and being an older and not so clever boy I thought it would be silly to change it. It suits him anyway.

Being an ACD, we felt we had to give Shez an aussie name but I didn't have the heart to call her Shazza haha. So she started out as Shezza which turned into Shezzy and now is just Shez.

Well my own name is such that my friends call me Shaz, Shazza, Shazbot and Shags or Shagger (the last two I can do without!) and I have Cattle Dogs........Unfortunate or Bogan Heaven?? :p

I'm a bit of a fan of old fashioned human names for my crew. My most recent dogs were/are:

Sheila - "Sheila the Red Heeler" (RIP) Ladies name and Aussie Slang for female. Lot's of people still call ME Sheila! :)

Trevor - "Trev the Rev" Just a good Aussie blokes name and I know a couple who are real characters.

Mick - Mick Dundee and my Dad's Middle name. Yes, he is like a Croc, especially when playing tug.

Lena - I just like this name which was also inspired by Lethal Lena the famous QH. (If she can move like that I will be delighted). Her nickname is Lenatic.

I've had people get confused about whether they are my kids or my boyfriend in conversation. :laugh:

Two of my former foster dogs were named Cecil and Norman aka Stormin Norman and I might recycle those down the track at some stage. Sadly Cecil passed away recently and his owners adopted Norman.

FWIW my huge cat is named "Yowie" because that's the noise he made all the way home from Queanbeyan Pound (and it's a mythical Aussie Monster which is oddly accurate). My two Appaloosa's are named Brave (which is the only name I seem to lengthen rather than abbreviate to "Bravehorse") and Chant. The most recent addition is a JRT who belonged to my deceased Uncle. He is named "Lucky" which will remain, but I'd love to call him Elmer for obvious reasons! :rofl:

S

Edited by Sheilaheel02