Chain Collars

GSDowner

My german shepherd has a metal chain collar (loose) - we found it convenient for various reasons,much more than a leather collar: for example in an offleash park to temporarily restrain him or when on leash.

Lately I noticed that his paw got stuck in it.

Last year he lost his chain and we found it in the garden hanging on a low branch -

I hate to think that my dog could have been stuck there.

I would be grateful for your opinions on chain collars.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My german shepherd has a metal chain collar (loose) - we found it convenient for various reasons,much more than a leather collar: for example in an offleash park to temporarily restrain him or when on leash.

Lately I noticed that his paw got stuck in it.

Last year he lost his chain and we found it in the garden hanging on a low branch -

I hate to think that my dog could have been stuck there.

I would be grateful for your opinions on chain collars.

I'm guessing the chain is a check chain - a chain with a larger ring on either end? If so, consider yourself VERY lucky the chain came off your dog. These collars are only supposed to be used when training your dog and you'll find many DOLers won't even use them for training (as they can be considered harsh). Please reconsider the leather collar and if you feel you need to (with the help of an experienced trainer) only use the chain when training.

A slip collar, or a fixed diameter collar?

Chain collars, by their nature have more holes etc to get snagged on things ... and if they are acrtually a 'correction; collar they are at risk of strangling the dog.

What is wrong with leather/nylon collars? Clipping a lead on any of them takes the same amount of time ...and if the collar is so loos, then the dog can slip out of it ,and possibly into a dangerous situation when supposedly on lead :(

I would never leave a check chan on a dog, far too easy to loosen and catch on something.

I use leather martingale's with chain parts on, but no longer leave them on as one of my dogs was laying under an iron table outside once and as she got up the round chain looped over the table corner, she nearly strangled herself trying to get free and dragging a huge table around, luckily i was at home at the time.

All collars carry the same risk of having a paw caught or caught on a fence if you choose to leave a dog unsupervised with a collar on.

The fact it was a chain collar is irrelevant.

^^ This..

When at home, none of my dogs have worn collars. They only get 'dressed' if they are going out :)

Thanks everyone

It's a "standard" chain (no spikes) with two big loops on either side.

Sometimes when he goes to the garden (and starts barking) it's easy to grab the collar

and take him home.

But I can see that it may be unsafe for any dog.

All collars carry the same risk of having a paw caught or caught on a fence if you choose to leave a dog unsupervised with a collar on.

The fact it was a chain collar is irrelevant.

^^ This..

When at home, none of my dogs have worn collars. They only get 'dressed' if they are going out :)

Same here.

Thanks everyone

Sometimes when he goes to the garden (and starts barking) it's easy to grab the collar

and take him home.

It is just as easy to grab a leather collar which I think is less likely to get caught on things.

A leather collar is not as loose as a chain collar so its pretty hard for your dog to get his foot caught in it (so long as the collar is the right size and well fitting).

Our dogs are always nude at home. Absolutely no collars, too dangerous.

If for any reason I had to leave a collar on a dog unsupervised, it would never be a correction chain.

Our dogs are trained so we do not have to grab them. They come, leave, drop or whatever when asked... even in a pack of 4.

Thanks everyone

and take him home.

It is just as easy to grab a leather collar which I think is less likely to get caught on things.

A leather collar is not as loose as a chain collar so its pretty hard for your dog to get his foot caught in it (so long as the collar is the right size and well fitting).

I tend to agree with this. I've heard some horror stories of dogs wearing chains and collars. Even a leather collar needs to be fitted correctly but depending on your dog and if there's more than one, how they play and interact there could be more risk. My whippets all wear collars but if I had the kind of dogs that were forever grabbing at each others throats (in play) I might not have collars on them for fear of teeth getting caught in the opponents collar. Something like that probably never would have occurred to me until I read it here on DOL.

Thanks everyone

and take him home.

... or you could train a recall and have him come when you call :confused:

You can get collars that will release when pulled on hard - that way if you are leaving him unsupervised at home, at least if he gets caught on anything, the collar will come off and he won't be at risk of choking to death.

I'm another person who doesn't leave a collar on their dog when they are at home alone - but each to their own.

T.

Guest Clover

Downright stupid to leave a check chain on a dog at home :(.

My guys are nude unless we are going out as well, just not worth the risk.

You've described a check chain. Be thankful your dog hasn't hung itself yet. Check chains should only be used when training. I won't even let my dogs play with a dog wearing a check chain, I have worked with a trainer who had to witness 2 dogs that were playing, one had a check chain on. Other dog in play got it's head in to the check chain (so 2 dogs in one chain!), dogs started to stress and fight. Both dogs ended up dying due to stragulation as no one could get them apart.

I don't leave collars on my dogs when they're not supervised. But I would consider an alternative collar if you want your dog wearing one. And like someone else said, train a good recall, or something else I have had to do is actually just walk up to my dogs, block them and then usher them back to the house.

But please don't leave a check chain on your dog!!

You've described a check chain. Be thankful your dog hasn't hung itself yet. Check chains should only be used when training. I won't even let my dogs play with a dog wearing a check chain, I have worked with a trainer who had to witness 2 dogs that were playing, one had a check chain on. Other dog in play got it's head in to the check chain (so 2 dogs in one chain!), dogs started to stress and fight. Both dogs ended up dying due to stragulation as no one could get them apart.

I don't leave collars on my dogs when they're not supervised. But I would consider an alternative collar if you want your dog wearing one. And like someone else said, train a good recall, or something else I have had to do is actually just walk up to my dogs, block them and then usher them back to the house.

But please don't leave a check chain on your dog!!

This !!!! :thumbsup:

I too have heard of a very similar thing happening re check chains & 2 dogs getting tangled up, panicking & both died. One dog got his teeth somehow caught

in the others dogs check chain, pulling it tighter & tighter, a fight erupted between the 2 dogs in total stress of the situation & within minutes, both dogs

were pronounced dead as the owner of the dogs couldn't get them apart in time :cry:

No collars on my dogs at home EVER. Not worth the risk IMHO. When we are out, naturally they are both collared & leaded.

Is the dog microchipped - that's the best way to ensure you get your dog back if something goes wrong.

If I'm out walking with my dog - I have a flat collar to carry her rego disk and clip the lead on. If she had a big neck and a small head, I'd have a limited slip collar (eg short chain and a wide band of something not chain like webbing or leather). These are also known as martingale collars.

I don't use the all chain slip collar as that really destroyed my relationship with my dog. She hated going for walks for a long time after I stopped using it too.

If I want control when we're out and about - if she spots something at +10 distraction level - then I use a front attach harness. that clips the lead to her chest (not her shoulders).

When I'm at home, she doesn't wear a collar unless we're training something. You can grab by the back of the neck if you have to. Especially a hairy dog. Does pay to pair that with treats tho. Sometimes you don't want to use the recall word when the dog's being naughty, you just want to get hold to stop it (eg fence running or barking).

Too many dogs wearing slip/choke collars get strangled. Wasn't there a thread in here recently about how one at a dog groomers got killed because it was wearing a choke collar and fell off the grooming table when the groomer went out to answer the phone?

I see a heap of working dog walking around here with a segment of chain cut and made into a collar. seems a pretty good and secure solution as long as it's fitted correctly and not allowed to rub. Most working dogs are restrained when not working so it's not a biggy. I've seen some pretty badly fitted ones though resulting in injury.