Zig Had Another Turn Last Night

Staffyluv

At first I was hoping someone had opened up your old thread but dear dawg another incident? I had to come straight to the last page to see if you had updated. That is good news but also weird news. Do you think he needs some bloodwork done to determine any food processing problems? Maybe something (besides all the grass!) is not working properly in the poor boy and some kind of toxin levels build up and make him sick? Clutching at straws here of course but he obviously felt sick and ate the grass but couldn't or didn't throw up.

We can't have all this trauma happening to our Zig!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will ask our vet about it LG - this isn't the first time he has done the frantic grass eating, with a rumbling tummy. But this was most definitely the worst case he has had.

He has done this a few times now but it has never escalated to him labouring to breathe and shaking.

I am just glad it is over and will make time to discuss it with our vet and if he needs to, I will move him from raw food to a kibble based diet (with some raw bones).

I agree, my nerves and credit card can't afford this happening again.

I was sick at the possibility of him not making it (I was fine until the vet had me sign paperwork to say if I wanted him resuscitated if he crashes.

So glad to hear Zig is home, safe and sound. :thumbsup:

The only time one of my dogs has done the frantic grass eating was when Mya mangaed to get a bloody green tree frog in her mouth :eek: I fished it out but she straight away frantically started eating the grass. She was literally grazing on it like a cow. I thought, she knows she needs to throw up so that is why she is doing it. Oddly enough she stopped as suddenly as she started and never threw up :shrug:

I still don't really know why she did it but thought I would mention it.

I think a well earned kip for both of you is in order... spooning in a nice warm bed under the doona should do the trick...

Glad to hear he's OK... and hope that you find out what is making him sick.

T.

So happy to read the update.

Definitely sounds weird that he eats so much grass, only one I had that did that was very very old so not surprising nothing on her worked very well! No ideas here sorry, just glad he's OK :)

Yay! pleased to hear Zig is back home where he belongs. :thumbsup:

Did you get a chance to check the Arum lily to see if he's been nibbling at it SL?

I did K9 and it looks fine - there is no indication of any nibbling or even walking in or on it.. I have pulled some out and put it in a bucket but the rest of it is firmly planted behind the shed - I don't think it is going to be that easy to get rid of.

I am planning on some raised garden beds in the backyard for some veges, so I might just put one in that corner in front of where the lily is - that way, he will never be able to get near it (just in case)..

He just got up, had a little drink of water and went outside. The lovely old BC over the back came up to the fence to see him. Funny, that dog and Ollie hated each other but she is fine with Zig.. He is curled up on the lounge again now.. He is still very groggy and slow..

Get well soon Ziggy. How is he this morning staffyluv?

I need to find an emergency vet that charges $700/night - I paid $1000 per night and that was for a drip (and maybe a stock standard blood test). It is manned 24/7 by a vet and nurse though.

Poor little guy. I'd freak if someone asked about resus too :eek:

Excessive grass eating doesn't sound normal, but I'm glad he's ok. Lots of cuddles for the Zig-man today (and SL!) :grouphug:

The question regarding resusitation is on the form for emergency admission - just par for the course.

I hope your little dog is on the improve, sausy.dog. I think I must have jinxed Myrtie by discussion her HGE episodes as I am just back from leaving her at the vets (normal not emergency) because there was a little bit of blood in her poo while out walking. It may come to nothing, but seeing she is prone, I wasn't takiing any chances. If she isn't looking too good later this evening, I will take her to SASH, because they don't monitor overnight at the vets.

Although it was a long time between being crook & eating it, I would take Ziggy off the lamb.

I have a dog here who is very liverish, he has a very low tolerance to oils & fats. I used to give him lamb ribs for breakfast, & from time to time he would do exactly as Ziggy was doing, eating huge amounts of grass, then consuming a lot of water to bring up the mass. Some nights I would be up & down all night, letting him in & out, & cleaning up vomit, which was basically comprised of large tightly woven balls of grass.

When I removed lamb, inclufing offal, from his diet, the problem disappeared. I substituted lamb for rabbit, & feed chicken or duck carcases, turkey wings, or roo mince with VAN for dinner. I have even been able to supplement the evening meal with some coconut oil with no adverse effects. Coconut oil is supposed to aid digestion.

ETA All good wishes for a quick recovery coming your way sausy.dog!

Edited by trifecta

Although it was a long time between being crook & eating it, I would take Ziggy off the lamb.

I have a dog here who is very liverish, he has a very low tolerance to oils & fats. I used to give him lamb ribs for breakfast, & from time to time he would do exactly as Ziggy was doing, eating huge amounts of grass, then consuming a lot of water to bring up the mass. Some nights I would be up & down all night, letting him in & out, & cleaning up vomit, which was basically comprised of large tightly woven balls of grass.

When I removed lamb, inclufing offal, from his diet, the problem disappeared. I substituted lamb for rabbit, & feed chicken or duck carcases, turkey wings, or roo mince with VAN for dinner. I have even been able to supplement the evening meal with some coconut oil with no adverse effects. Coconut oil is supposed to aid digestion.

ETA All good wishes for a quick recovery coming your way sausy.dog!

My Frenchie cant stomach lamb either. She started randomly throwing up and lost her normally big appetite. I stopped giving her lamb and within a few days she was completely back to normal.

SL so glad Ziggy is on the mend!! That would have been a scarey experience for the both of you!