Your Fantasy Dog

hankdog

So over in the reactive dog thread we've had a little bit of a daydream about our next non-reactive dog. No disrespect to your present dog but what qualities would your ultimate dog have if you could have everything you wanted in one dog?

For me in order of priority...

Temperament- calm, must like and respect people, dogs and critters but not in an overly excited way, happy to greet and play but not dragging me over to every other living thing. Must be smart enough to learn but not so smart that I have to keep changing the goalposts on what we do. Haha, not smarter than me. Must love to cuddle. Loyal, not aloof and please play fetch. Just once I want to play fetch with my dog.

Looks- my fantasy dog is huge, like Newfie huge and with big paws. Big floppy ears, and a square head with a square muzzle. Coat can be shaggy or smooth but not fluffy like a border collie, more scruffy like a wire haired terrier. I don't mind what colour but not completely one colour, so black with a white patch or brown and black. Definitely not pure white. Eyes either brown or golden brown, not blue.

He must be four years old, forever....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I could have a basset hound without the slight houndy smell I'd be happy LOL I've just sat down with my husband and discussed our ten year plan for bassets, bassets and more bassets. Have one arriving later this year and got offered another one from a top breeder today! (Would love to take it but had to try to keep myself in reality and declined LOL)

ETA: Maybe with just slightly less of the 'sure mum, I'll do it when I'm ready' attitude ;)

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Akitas :D

Although I would like one with a little less bounce as my one headbutted me in the face today and it isn't the first time it has happened either.

Oh and one that isn't broken too as he has also run into the garden shed head first, walked into a pole and landed in a mud puddle, Got his head stuck in the empty water bucket, likes to play fetch for ages and one that actually likes to eat meat off the bone and not think that a turkey leg is something to play bow to and poke with your paw to get it to play with you. :rofl:

I loves him though

--Lhok

Can I just have one that I could ride. Like not just 'You should put a saddle on that thing' big dog. A giant wolfish looking dog that I could theoretically ride into battle! Yet cuddle on an equally giant couch laugh.gif

I don't need to describe my dream dog because I already have her :love:

c3d56494-40ac-40b0-87d0-6bf44957d02a_zpsfb93a431.jpg

I've been asked before what I love so much about her and the only answer I can give is that she is everything I want in a dog and more. Super drive and power, solid nerves, sweet temperament. There is nothing she can't do!

Hmmm...dream dog....

I'm feeling pretty good about Dory and Willow, not that they are perfect, I've learnt to adjust.

But for the sake of fantasy,

- One I don't have to bend over to reward or pat.

- Calm, easy and obedient when out and about.

- Drivey on the training field.

- Intelligent and smart, but not so much so that it gets creative to the point of hard work and exhaustion.

- Lazy when I want to be lazy.

- Active when I want to be active.

- Cuddly, but not sooky and demanding.

- Not too hairy or fluffy.

- Large, floppy, soft ears...so soft and velvety....

- Dog friendly (or oblivious)

- People friendly (or indifferent [except family and Me])

- No allergies!

Now that I think of it, with a bit more hard work and maturity, I think Willow will be near to perfect. :)

My previous Rottie girl Emma was everything I ever wanted in a dog except for the reactivity..... so I guess my dream dog would be a non-reactive lazy snugglebum who will be happy being active when I want and also a complete couch potato with me otherwise, which is most of the time! With the softest sweetest eyes and the most gentle, biddable temperament. Who puts her paw on my knee and rests her head in my lap just whenever I need it. Willing to learn new things, goofy and playful, with a real personality and a zest for life. A dog that I could trust implicitly with almost anything. I would love to have a dog like her again, to me she was perfect even tho her DA was so tiring, so my fantasy dog would be just like her but without the DA and with a less shedding coat. And a much longer lifespan. And less smelly farts. :laugh:

ffd96e5a0b4711e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

ohhhh no good, now I am crying just thinking about her. /exits thread

Edited by silentchild

Guest Clover

If we are going purely on fantasy I will say a belgium malinois or laekenois, with a bomb proof temp, and not too over the top full on. I'm my dreams.

I feel extremely lucky to have not 1 but 4 of my fantasy/dream dogs, they are everything I could want in a dog and more! I love them to bits!

file_zpsbf271f14.jpg

If I could change one thing it would be their life span!

So over in the reactive dog thread we've had a little bit of a daydream about our next non-reactive dog. No disrespect to your present dog but what qualities would your ultimate dog have if you could have everything you wanted in one dog?

For me in order of priority...

Temperament- calm, must like and respect people, dogs and critters but not in an overly excited way, happy to greet and play but not dragging me over to every other living thing. Must be smart enough to learn but not so smart that I have to keep changing the goalposts on what we do. Haha, not smarter than me. Must love to cuddle. Loyal, not aloof and please play fetch. Just once I want to play fetch with my dog.

Looks- my fantasy dog is huge, like Newfie huge and with big paws. Big floppy ears, and a square head with a square muzzle. Coat can be shaggy or smooth but not fluffy like a border collie, more scruffy like a wire haired terrier. I don't mind what colour but not completely one colour, so black with a white patch or brown and black. Definitely not pure white. Eyes either brown or golden brown, not blue.

He must be four years old, forever....

Apart from the last line and the sex, you've described my Woosie (1993-2004)...

T.

When "living" with a reactive dog, I used to skulk home dreaming about owning a Golden Retriever, thinking surely they were the total opposite to my dog.

When I started looking for my next dog, following my various breed investigations I ended up with an adult Goldie. She has certainly been the total opposite! It was an enormous relief to find dog ownership so much more pleasurable & easy.

My dog is perfect for us, everything I'd wanted- sweet temperament, biddability, total lack of aggression (!!!!), a happy simple soul who is a joy to live with.

There are a few superficial things that I'd change about her though- the shedding, the shedding, the shedding :laugh: and her energy levels (typical Goldie, she gets a bit worn out after 5kms of running- sheesh!). But it's a small price to pay. :D

To those of you with reactive dogs, my heart goes out to you. I know how hard it is, & about the longing for what so many other people experience as "normal" dog ownership. :o

Edited by dee lee

Well Elsie is pretty perfect already!

But if you made me.... It would look like an Azawakh or Saluki, have the temperament of a Doberman and the drive of a Malinois. Maybe a smaller dog too, like 43cm at shoulder :p

More Malinois ... more and more and more :laugh: I'm planning on keeping my entire first litter for myself and building my kennel from there :) I've found my dream lines, they exceed everyone's expectations and they're perfect. If I could clone my girl a thousand times over I would :) Only took me a decade but I got there lol

943552_10151758532775948_425027125_n.jpg