Confused As To What To Do Next?

Thank you Trish..

Interesting enough i have noticed Renae hasn't really been going up to Joey, she did have a little nap with him yesterday in their crate, but hasn't been overly fussing over him as I thought she might be.. She sleeps a lot these day, so maybe thats a good thing?

Miah has been at times going up to him and stirring him up, but is bit grumpy when she does, understandably! We have tried to keep her away from him over last few days.. I do think she knows something is going on but that could be her seeing our emotions atm..

The other day when Joey could hardly get up, I went and layed next to him (hard with my spine problems!) and young Miah jumped up on my back and was trying to cuddle me with her paws around my neck awwww. Im sure they know something is up..

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A friend had some bad experience with a local vet suggesting lots of intervention for her much-loved, elderly cocker spaniel with similar issues. Major surgery, given his age, seemed crazy.

Disc and back issues are not easy fixes.

No guarantees, regardless of many thousands spent.

You are not a bad owner to offer pain/symptom relief only.

Allows some quality of life until your dog deteriorates such that PTS is kindest option.

MRIs are costly.

If an operation is not going to happen, then how will an MRI help the vet give Joey better treatment?

Will it change the pain relief prescribed?

Having recently lost a mother-in-law, there are a lot of expenses, including solicitors fees for probate etc if you're Executor.

Best wishes.

Thank you Poodle wrangler.. No the MRI is not going change the outcome I don't believe ..

Initially it was thought it was his spine, but now its highly suspected theres a mass in his brain or top of neck area.

Just giving the high doses cortisone a quick try but so far im not seeing any significant changes yet. (apart from he looks a bit more alert today). I've taken him a few times out for his toileting and he just keeps flopping down, hasnt been yet.. was really runny with no 2's yesterday.

Im not going drag this out much longer, I do not want to see him suffer, its heartbreaking watching him as it is.. the weather is heating up. I do have the aircon on but hes still panting ;(

My condolences on the passing of your Mother In Law :( *hugs*

My husband and his sister are the executors , but i dont think it will require many extra costly expenses (except funeral etc fees), as she didnt have a lot in her bank. Her house was never in her name, just in her deceased husband's name and he had in his will that it would go to his daughter and son ( my husband) but the Mother was to have life interest in it.,. so i guess we are already on the title ? Hubby's still sorting stuff out with his sister .. there will be some expenses along the way of course associated with the house until they can sell it..

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

:( not good . The panting can also be pain/anxiety, Jules ..not always heat related ...so the aircon might not help much, poor lad.

It is just awful waiting for 'that' moment ,when the decision becomes real ..it is often much more wearing and emotional than after a pet has left us..and I find the longer I wait, the more of a wreck I become.

I am sending thoughts and hugs .....

Yeah thats true Pers frown.gif

Ive given updates to my husband via sms's today, and said how Joeys just not wanting to move at all now.. but i think the fact i told him earlier is eyes seem more alert today has given him some false hope the cortisone is helping ( and perhaps it is ?) He just wants to wait one more night so we know we have given the meds enough time to work any magic thats its going too..

I can't see that anything is going dramatically change to be honest frown.gif

But you are right, i think this stage is the worse.. I keep saying to the Universe, just give me one real proper sign.. well apart from the obvious signs.. it hasn't helped hes looking around more now more wide eyed. And when i go to talk to him or pat him he wags his tail and then i think maybe he will improve arghhhh

When our last dog Jenna had to put down, there was a definite sign in her eyes and we just knew the time was right.. but i haven't seen that in Joey yet.. well yesterday i thought i had seen it not today

Ps Thank you again Pers.. x

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

As you know Jules I have just been through this, and I have to agree with Pers, that this stage is the worst.

I felt better after having spoken to Marie (Vet, from Let me go) and made that decision, but afterwards although I was, and still am, devastated there was a feeling of relief.

No more pain for my girl, who was nearly 16, no more worrying if she had pain or if the pain relief was enough, I can actually take the others for a walk without worrying whether Jazzy was OK at home or not, it had got to the stage that I didn't want to leave her at all.

I'm sure you will know when the time is right ! :hug:

Thank you Tassie x

Thank you again Trish, and yes you would understand also what this time feels like *hugs* I truly thought i would be going through this first with Renae, and I have been more prepared for her to leave us, than Joey :(

I rang our vet up before and told him the latest, that altho Joey's eyes have perked up the rest of him is not getting better, if anything hes not able to even walk far as he has been without laying down again.

He said well its up to you both, only you can make that decision and no one can judge you for whatever one you make. His only advice to me was that if it was him in this situation, since we have resorted to trying the high doses of cortisone, that he would wait another 24 hours before making any final decision (It can take up to 48 hours to kick in properly for some dogs). He said he would not want his dog suffering too long either.

He said if we were to make it before the 24 hours were up (unless Joey goes really badly downhill and its obvious) then we will always be regretting and saying what if we had waited just a bit longer..

I do agree with what hes trying to say to me.. I said i will give it another 24 hours but by tomorrow before the clinic shuts, ill be wanting to make my decision if no real improvement. He agreed.

I have spoken to my husband about it all as he came home for 15 mins from work to take Joey outside to do his toileting, and hes agree that we will give it one more day.

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

There , thankfully is that relief .... that is when the realisation hits - just how hard you were wanting to hang on ...how much energy was being used in willing and wishing and trying to avoid .... I have had many dogs & cats cross the bridge ..and practice doesn't really make perfect!

I now tend to follow the advice given on here ..''better a day too early, than a day too late"

Jules.. I hope there have been some special photos taken recently :) ..and I hope Miah misbehaves a little bit -just to bring you a smile or three ...

:kissbetter:

Thank you Pers and Rebanne.

This could be possibly be his last night with us. Its now in the laps of the gods or power of the Universe or whatever we all believe in.. We cant do much more.. Id like to think the Cortisone is going change it all by tomorrow before we make an appt later tomorrow... but even if does, its not a cure anyway, it will just be delaying what eventually going happen anyway..

I have hundreds of photos of him that I will always treasure.. I hope his old Mum 'Renae' will be ok.. Least we have young in our face Miah to help us through all of this . I always thought she came into our lives at the time she did for a reason.. altho I thought it was because of Renae..

Hugs to you both Jules crying.gif

I know what I am about to say sounds odd, however, I have always felt it is a honour to be beside my animals at that moment they pass over rainbowbridge.gif

We greet them with love when they arrive in this world, it is only right & fair that we are there with them, with love when they leave pray.gif

Love light & peace Jules heart.gifheart.gifheart.gif

I'm so sorry to hear it has got this bad, keeping you and joey in our thoughts tonight, I wish for the best outcome for you and hope the cortisone gives you a little more time together xxx special hugs for your special boy xxx