Breed Loyalty

sandgrubber

Assuming you now have breed XXX  

143 members have voted

1. 1. To what extent are you breed-loyal?

• I grew up with XXX and I'll have no other breed
    • My next dog will be XXX, like my present dog
    • I like variety. I have shifted breeds before and will probably do so again.
    • I've had problems XXX and when the time comes, I look forward to changing

I wasn't allowed a dog as a kid as my father hates them. The first dog I had was a guide dog puppy lab so we only had her for a year, then a few years later a second guide dog lab puppy.

When the second one left I knew that I wanted a dog of my own but I also knew I didn't want a lab. I loved by the pups I had but they definitely weren't the breed I wanted to own myself.

I have two Sibes now and I love the breed.

But I wouldn't say I am breed loyal, more Spitz breed loyal. At some point I will have a Finnish Lapphund I am sure. I would also like a Shiba and an Akita at some point. The more Spitz breeds I meet the more I add to the list. I am a big dog person though, so a Shiba would be the smallest I would go. I don't think I will ever be without a spitz of some kind.

There are some other breeds I love like Airedales, Boxers, Weimaraners and Danes but not sure if I will ever own one.

Edited by Gertrude139

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I grew up with Bassets and Pound/RSPCA Dogs - My first dogs as an adult were 2 Rotties and after them a Bullmastiff. When I lost him I wanted to try something totally different and smaller so I went for a Scottie - I got my Bulldog because they are one of the breeds I always dreamed of having at least once and I am the 5th home that the PBGV has had - I won't be getting any more until I say goodbye to these 3 ( hopefully not for a long long time ) and then it will be just a one dog household. I keep saying to myself ' no more bulldogs ' after this one but I don't know if I'll be able to stick to that. I'll have to wait and see what condition I'm in when the time comes as to what breed I would be able to look after.

We've had a good mix as kids, a handfull of crosses from small to large but our first PB dog sold me, he was an English Setter, the ultimate kids dog. Happy to tag along, cuddle or entertain himself. He was easy.

I loved his temp and his build, but he was very very placid and never paid much attention to toys and was an awful swimmer (lol, he would swim out with you to save you, then panic and have to be carried back in in a panic)

I wanted something more in line with mine and my partners personalities, so we got a flattie. That says a bit about us...He's fab and a perfect fit for us as we are and if we had kids we would be hard pressed to find a better mate, but the bloat and cancer just leave me cold. I'd like another setter, have seriously considered a Brittany and a Frenchie, A Nova Scotia Duck Tolling ret, a Tibbie and an Aussie (did come dangerously close to an Aussie before Rosie showed up)

I saw a flattie in a park in Yarraville at about 16? She raced up and threw herself in my lap and I thought that is the dog for me when I 'grow up'. I waited a really long time after moving out, I got myself ready and then a litter would come up at a bad time etc etc. I feel like Gus has been a cosmic intervention almost 10 years in the making.

Rosie is a whole other story, I always thought I wouldn't own a sighthound or x. Lovely dogs but never thought they suited as as we will always have cats, and always love our off leash runs etc etc, so just kind of wrote them off but she's great. Very busy but easy settled with a good run, naughty but responsive and so so snuggly. Might reconsider that but wouldn't want to ruin a good thing.

Edited by Steph M

I grew up with a foxy X, a Rotti x lab and then a Labrador. My first dog as an adult is a Dalmatian and yep I'm going to be true to the breed, already lined up my next pup (she's a week old!).

I will probably have other breeds through my life, we really want an Aussie but I want to get my dally dreams up and running first.

I think I'm more individual loyal then breed loyal. Hansel is the greatest dog I have ever met for me ever, but I sort of think of that as a "Hansel" thing rather then a "Mini Dachshund" thing. Of course with that said I have ever intention of going back on his breeder's waiting list at some point in the future so maybe I am a bit breed loyal.

My second dog will probably be a Whippet and there are plenty of other breeds on the "One Day" list!

I am very breed loyal to BT'S.

I grew up with pound mutts, then got a farm bred jack with my 2 mutts.

I babysat a friends BT when his band went on tour and that was it I was hooked!!!

I will always own one, can't imagine life without such an idiot around :laugh:

I am very breed loyal to BT'S.

I grew up with pound mutts, then got a farm bred jack with my 2 mutts.

I babysat a friends BT when his band went on tour and that was it I was hooked!!!

I will always own one, can't imagine life without such an idiot around :laugh:

One careered headfirst into my knee while running around at great speed with one of my guys at the beach the other day. That's the limit of my experience but the bruise I have is almighty and his grin was epic. He just shook off and kept running. He did look a lovely happy dog though. Poor girl who owned him was telling me (while I was admiring/lamenting how strong he was) that he loves kids and is very gentle with them but parents always shoo him off. He seemed cool I can see why you'd be loyal :)

Edited by Steph M

I'm still trying to find my "one true breed (or two)". I love my little Italian Greyhound but I'm never having another one, as I've just had a lot of problems with her (legs, general health, safety when taking her out) and it's been quite stressful. I also liked my lab I grew up with but now I'm older they just aren't my thing, and I am never having a breed that requires hand stripping ever again after the current family Border Terrier, who is lovely but my hands have poor circulation and stripping just hurts too much. I have a 5 or 6 breed shortlist for next time (perhaps next year) and I just need to make a choice!

I grew up with mutts and currently own a mixture of breeds that I had before I met Fauves. Since I met and purchased my first Fauve I can't fathom not owning one. Will probably have other breeds at different times along the way but they will be the constant.

I waited for 3 years for my puppy of my chosen breed, I was breed and breeder loyal

I say my boy has been here before.....he even has human eyes :laugh:

post-23033-0-24284700-1381199109_thumb.jpg

Behluka, that photo is beautiful. I looked at the pic before I read your post... & my impression was the same. Your boy has a 'person' looking out of his eyes. :)

My list of dogs that I want to own is pretty varied... As a dog sports competitor I always want a dog that I can enjoy training, but I also really like a challenge in training. I have a specific look and personality that I like in dogs, so balancing all those traits gives me... Mal, Dobe, Whippet, Podengo and more terrier/collie mixes. I hope to own at least one of each in my life, probably starting with the smaller ones until I have a farm!

I grew up with a lab and now currently have a golden. My mum has a small fluffy and he is pretty much my second dog. Our next dog as promised will be something my partner chooses but I would love an aussie one day. So no im not breed loyal :laugh:

I don't go for specific breeds I guess, it's just gotta be pretty.

I like Goldies, Australian Shepherds, German Shepherds, Border Collies, Silky Terriers, Cairn Terriers...etc. Basically anything that more or less looks like them biggrin.gif (First dogs were Kelpies or Border Collies, then we had a Golden for a while but my parents sold her, then got my little Silky Terrier X, now I have a farm Border Collie).

Or the really sleek ones - I admire Salukis, Whippets, Borzoi, Pointers (I know they're not sighthounds but they're athletic & pretty) smile.gif

And I like Chinese Cresteds. They look like a LOT of fun!

Edited by Scootaloo

The two Rotties I have had were absolutely beautiful and I would gladly have another one, in conjunction with an Akita. Mr Minxy would probably consider having another type, but would still have to have an Akita as well also. I don't think we'll ever be without one, though we were having the conversation last night about how devastated we both will be when Kyojin is no longer with us.

My first 2 dogs were a cocker and a BC. When I decided to get into showing I settled on a Field Spaniel and I will hopefully never be without one, simply the best, most loving dogs ever thumbsup1.gif I also love my Aussies, they are a great fit in with my Field and lots of fun to work with.

I grew up with pound mutts, my dad in particular is quite fanatical about mutts but I spent my childhood pouring over dog books and dreaming of all the breeds I would have. Then when I was 18 we had a toller in the kennel I worked at for 5 nights and I was hooked. 7 years of dreaming and we got our Kodiak bear and I'm hooked. She's perfect and such a good family dog, loves our daughter and is never far from our side. I often look at hubby and say 'promise me we'll ALWAYS have a toller....or 2 or 3'. I can't imagine a better dog for us.

There are other dogs I look at and mentally add to my future dogs list but when it comes down to it I bet I will go 'no, forget it' and email bear's breeder and get more Tollers for us :laugh:

I'd love select the first option having grown up with Aussie Terriers and that I'll always have one or two around, but in saying that, there are still breeds that I'd love to give a go.

Aussies will always be in my life, but I've fallen in love with hounds like beagles and salukis. I'd also love to have a Norwich Terrier too!