Breed Loyalty

sandgrubber

Assuming you now have breed XXX  

143 members have voted

1. 1. To what extent are you breed-loyal?

• I grew up with XXX and I'll have no other breed
    • My next dog will be XXX, like my present dog
    • I like variety. I have shifted breeds before and will probably do so again.
    • I've had problems XXX and when the time comes, I look forward to changing

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've only had border collies since I've been an adult. Have owned 5 and they have all been of similar breeding. Thought I might have to change breeds when I get elderly but there are a couple of elderly men around here that walk their border collies every day.

I grew up with a petshop mutt. My grandparents have always owned pedigree dogs. I currently own three pedigree dogs and two rescue mutts. I think I will always own a mixture of pedigree and rescue dogs. But there are so many breeds I want to own, definitely won't be sticking to just one breed. :)

My Dad has always had a GSDs and his family had a few, but also had some other breeds.

We had a GSD as kids.

After the D I won't be able to have another, they won't live up to him... might not even get another dog at all.

I would have liked to tick, that I grew up with border collies, but that is not the case. I grew up on a sheep property, where Dad had all sorts of mixed breeds to help with the sheep. I didn't get into BC's until 22 years ago when my OH bought me one for my 40th birthday. From then on I/we were hooked & wouldn't have any other breed. I keep saying that one day, I wouldn't mind getting a small breed like a Pap, or a Border Terrier, but I would be worried of losing them to the wedge tailed eagles. :cry:

we grew up with mainly cross breed dogs, I had a Rottie for my first own dog, didn't want to compare the next one with her, so I wouldn't get another (although I would now) My second dog picked me, I didn't feel ready to get another dog but went with a friend to the pound. Two days later (after lots of trying to talk myself out of the idea) went back to get her. She was a cross breed. I now have a Brittany, I do like the breed so far, only time will tell if I'll get another one.

I'm a self-confessed breed tart :laugh: There's a number of breeds I love but I will probably stick with the working gundogs due to my love for the sports specific to them. I've been so spoilt by the individual dogs I have lived with that I like the next dog to be completely different.....my first agility/obedience dog was an amazing ACD girl. I could not match her so I looked for something different, before finding a breeder whose philosophy I liked so much that I ended up with a never before considered Dalmatian. I've always adored spaniels (especially those ears) but a series of events landed one in my lap - discovered retrieving through a DOLer, found out about field bred ESS and met the breeder through the same DOLer and the rest is history. I would love another ESS, maybe from Em if I can ever make up my mind whether to breed her or not (!!!) but would also like a field bred Irish Setter one day. Also fell in love with a mother/daughter pair of working line Vizsla that I met and handled in agility in the USA - simply wow. And I'd have another Dally one day but only an LUA.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I grew up with GSD's for years .My parents were registered breeders long time ago. My first dog when (after i left home) was a German Shepherd x .. A rescue. My parents always instilled in us to always get a dog from a registered breeder or a shelter.

I had wanted to get a Cavalier since i was around 10 years old after having seen them at a royal show. I continued for most of my life just to get X Breeds from shelters.

Ive owned Cavalier for many years now and despite them having some health issues (not necessarily being genetic) I will always be loyal to this breed now. I can't imagine not having one always in my life. I have thought that I might get another rescue dog one day if the situation arose but I wouldn't be fussed what breed/s it has in it provided it was smallish and suited our lifestyle . ;)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I grew up with Dobes and I thought I would always have them but my husband wanted a Bulldog so we got one and she stole my heart.

We now have 2 (mother and son) and I adore them more than words can describe. They are just about perfect and by far the easiest dogs I've ever owned. They have amazing temperaments and are adorable too :)

I admire a number of other breeds but they are probably not suited to our lifestyle so will never own one but once we are older we will probably switch to Frenchies simply because they are smaller.

Guest Clover

Nope no loyalty here either. I have had a x breed in the past and would happily do so again. I currently have 2 x BCs, 1 x JRT & a BC x.

I also have many different breeds on my must have and in my dreams list :laugh:.

I've also had a mixture of breeds growing up, I had a crossbreed and a pom when I was younger and I loved her more than anything so I think I will have Poms and probably stick to them when I am an old, old woman with bad hips LOL... before this I thought I would always have Rotties because my Rottie girl was so great, but now I have my doubts as I don't think I can physically handle a Rottie anymore, and there are so many breeds I want to try and my current Aussie girl is just phenomenal, so I may stick to the small/medium sized working breeds for now - my next dog I'm thinking might be a Finnish Lapphund, but we will see. Dalmatians have also always been my favourite breed and I've always wanted one since I was a little girl, so maybe one day when I am capable of handling such a high energy dog I will have Dallies.

Edited by silentchild

Guest hankodie

I grew up with all different sorts of breeds and x breeds, currently own a golden retriever and a frenchie and I don't ever see myself being without either. They are very different breeds but both bring me so much joy.

I would also love to rescue an older lab one day but I don't think my poor husband is ready for another addition any time soon :laugh: I told him I wanted a pack of 10 dogs the other day and he laughed because he thought I was joking, little does he know.... :angeldevil:

can't really vote. I had GSD's for many, many years, now I have Greyhounds and that's where I'm staying. So only the two breeds over 30 odds years. And one medium size mutt, not likely to be repeated. ETA there was nothing wrong with Emma, loved her as much as any dog, but I prefer to have a better idea of size as I get older which is a bit :laugh: seeing as how I have a large breed.

Edited by Rebanne

Grew up with my Lab, as much as I love them, I don't have the heart to have another. Now have my Aussie pup. I'll see how he turns out first but I think I might have another one day biggrin.gif A RED!

I have a huge list of breeds I want though. Topping that list is an LUA Dal.

There's too many different dogs I love, for me to be breed loyal. My first dog was a lab and at the time could not see me with any other breed but when we lost her so young I was so heartbroken I couldn't cope with having another Lab. So we went with something different and now have 3 different dogs and have my heart set on Finnish Lapphund sometime in the future.

Variety is the spice of life :rofl: