Breed Loyalty

sandgrubber

Assuming you now have breed XXX  

143 members have voted

1. 1. To what extent are you breed-loyal?

• I grew up with XXX and I'll have no other breed
    • My next dog will be XXX, like my present dog
    • I like variety. I have shifted breeds before and will probably do so again.
    • I've had problems XXX and when the time comes, I look forward to changing

I grew up with a GSD and Fox Terrier, as a teen I had 3 Siberian Huskies. Currently have a Boxer [did have another but he passed away young :( ]. Will be sticking with Boxers from now on, as I find I have a real affinity with them :D

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first ever dog was our Chihuahua x, Cherry, and then we got Micha our Siberian Husky. Neither of them live with me anymore as they are the family dogs. I do still love Sibes and I have a soft spot for small breeds but I can't imagine owning them again.

Then I got Daisy the beagle, and I now have a Malinois. I truly believe Mals are the ultimate dog. I cannot imagine ever wanting anything else, I think they are the best breed in the entire world. There is nothing they can't do and they fit what I want in a dog perfectly. However, I still really love beagles and I feel happy every time I see one, I think they are super little hounds! So - I think I will always have a beagle too.

Im still young (almost 21) so I may change my mind yet :p but I love my working breeds.

I have grown up with (and still currently have) a BCx, BC, terrier mix, a Kelpie and a Kelpie/ BC/ACDx.

I would love to own so many different types of dog, but I have come to realise that I really am addicted to the working breeds. My next dog (not for a good while now) will probably be a BC or a Kelpie. Though I must say I adore Malinois...... I just think they might be too much dog for me!

I like to mix it up. I love my kelpies from a working and activity point of view but would never only own kelpies. I love having the JRTs and the maremma and the huge horse puppy. It's so wonderful to be able to share my home with so many different types and personalities. Life is never boring. The only breed I would never own are dachshunds, most staffy types (I love them but they aren't dog for me) and Labs. It's not that I hate them but I'm just not keen on them.

I've had greyhounds, a whippet and a kelpie and now have an aussie pup.

Love the greys and will have more eventually. Fantastic dogs.

My whippet is a special boy and I don't think I could get another after he's gone. I think it'd be too hard to not compare them and that's never fair.

I think I like my kelpie Ellie so much more than I like the breed (if that makes sense to anyone but me :laugh: ) and probably wouldn't get another. She wasn't planned but I fell in love with her. Best decision to keep her but not the breed for me.

I waited 5 years to get my aussie (was planning when Ellie came into my life and had to wait for an appropriate age gap). Love this breed and can easily imagine more in my lifetime.

There are other breeds I'm interested in so who knows what the future holds.

I couldn't tick any option. I have breeds I favour but each one matches a time in lifestyle.

As primary kids, our family owned Border Collies. Fitted an active lifestyle & they were wonderful guardians of us children. When we'd ask could we go explore the bushland nearby, our mother would say, 'As long as Peter (the BC) goes with you.' She knew Peter looked after 'his' children, like he'd look after his flock.

High school age, the family owned a Cardigan Corgi, Biddy. Sensible, loyal & versatile. Great companion dog at home, but brilliant out in our boat on Moreton Bay. Even when the men went out for weekends fishing, Biddy would go, too.

Fast forward to our later family life. Then Shetland Sheepdogs.... active enough, but also sweet companion dogs (if you don't count Shelley who was a total nutter, but hugely loved);

Then as life got a little more sedate, the wonderful Tibetan Spaniels. True Buddhist dogs.

Still love all those breeds.

I grew up with Bichons as my parents bred them, but I never really loved them as a breed and had no desire to continue owning them as an adult. I've owned a variety of dogs (rescue poodle, rescue dally, rescue staffy x) before settling on my pugs. There are other breeds I'd like to own and I'd never discount owning another breed, but my pugs are only aged 2 years and 18 months and I'm happy with two dogs, so I don't plan on needing to think about it for a very very long time!

I had a few different breeds growing up - Cocker Spaniel, Schipperke, Cocker cross, then my current dogs Kelpie X, GSD, and 2 working line Kelpies.

Like CBD I find many breeds of dog adorable and interesting, but considering where my interests lie at the moment (agility), I think my next dogs will continue to be working breeds - I like short coat so probably continue to be Kelpies, or perhaps a Koolie or if I find one I like short haired BC. Also like CBD I adore Malinois, love their drive and how they work, and would love to give one a go, but wonder if they may be too much dog for me!

I grew up with gundogs of various types and mutts.

At the moment I have Samoyeds and a Havanese. I adore both breeds and don't see myself without either any time soon.

The only other breeds that could one day live with me would be a Pyrenees, Karelian Bear Dog, Eurasia or a Greenland Dog.

Edited by Bjelkier

We never owned dogs growing up - both parents worked and they didn't think it fair to the dog to be left alone all day. But my extended family have had terriers, kelpies and daschunds among others. Dh always had country dogs so working breeds or bull terriers as a child.

We're both converts to sighthounds. We'll always have a couple of greys I think and later on, can see us downsizing to a whippet. But the real debate now is whether the next will be a deerhound or a Borzoi.

totally breed loyal here, having found what suits me well I have no desire to change. I will have Borzoi until I decide not to have a dog. And I may also revisit Belgian Shepherds when I retire, I have had them before and still love them but they don't suit my current lifestyle like the 'zoi do.

Edited by Diva

Though I must say I adore Malinois...... I just think they might be too much dog for me!

. Also like CBD I adore Malinois, love their drive and how they work, and would love to give one a go, but wonder if they may be too much dog for me!

There's always a few people who say this when these threads come up!

I used to think I didn't have enough experience to handle a Mal either, but in some ways it is no where near as full on as I thought it would be when it comes to living with them day to day.

My Mal sleeps on my bed every night, will chill inside with me, lives with my cat without any issue at all, will happily be crated for long periods of time and doesn't need hours of work or exercise a day, which goes against the rep Mals seem to have. Obviously that is related to how they are raised and trained, but they should be able to have an off switch. It is a different level of management than living with other types of dogs though, and it has been a very very large learning curve for me as a handler. It definitely isn't easy and you have to have a really solid training program in place from day one, but it is extremely addictive to handle them!

Edited by huski

I have had 2 Danes (1 Ped, 1 rescue) and a gorgeous great big hunk of a mutt.

My current Dane is just so, so special to me and my family. I feel like there is no need to ever have another.

For my next dog, I am really hoping to get a dog that can come to work with me and maybe even be a part of the way I work. And I feel that that dog would need to have some different characteristics to a Dane.

So my next breed will be heavily dictated by its suitability to come to work with me and be a co-therapist :)

My gorgeous Mutt Digby: God I just love his temperament and if I knew that temperament was associated with a particular breed then I would definitely want to get that breed. But I don't know if there is a breed out there that is known for the kind of temperament he has - so it makes it a bit hard!

We had a mutt growing up (beagle, border collie, dachshund) now with my partner I have a Cocker Spaniel and another mutt (oodle). I'm all for change and want more breeds than I can possibly have.

My OH on the other hand grew up with Cockers and I didn't think I'd be able to convert him to anything else but lately he's been talking about getting something a bit rarer next, maybe an aussie, here's hoping they continue to remain fairly uncommon coz I'd love to have one :)

Others on my wish list. Basenji, Lapphund, JS, Bernese, Italian Greyhound, Tibetan spaniel, Malinois and I've recently discovered the Picardy Spaniel - so pretty

I am loyal to one breed, French Bulldog, I got my first one back in 1982 after having waited almost four years for her, only a couple of breeders in Australia then not like it is today.

They are the best faithful companions, love everyone and everything, especially children, they are super smart and learn very quickly right from wrong, they are not a breed for every one as they need extra special care in the hot weather, so really need someone home all the time during the summer to keep an eye on them.

They are known as a clown, they can make you laugh every day with their antics :laugh: , in a philosophers coat, a very apt description.

Have had several different breeds and cross breeds, but did ALOT of research (close to 2 years) prior to going with a Boxer, and am now absolutely in love with the breed. Not anywhere near planning my next dog as he's only just turned 1, but as at now, cannot imagine owning another breed.

Grew up with small dogs, like maltese, silky and yorkie. While I loved them, none of them really appealed to me. Wanted a Labrador since my early teen years and then when I finally got one as an adult, I became so one-eyed for Labs and Labs only that I couldn't see myself with anything else. Then my parents got a mini schnauzer.....

Super duper little dogs! :D I think I'll always have a Lab and a Mini Schnauzer in my life, they get along so great :thumbsup: But I'm not 100% breed loyal, as there are a few other breeds I'd like to try in my lifetime :)

Grew up with a Cocker Spaniel and although he was a perfectly good dog, I have absolutely no interest or fondness for the breed.

The first dog I showed was a Japanese Chin belonging to a friend & I like the breed but would never own one (oddly enough my sister has owned one & I showed him for her too, still wouldn't own one!)

My first dog was a Stafford when I was 14, long before they were a dime-a-dozen breed.

I have owned a Greyhound & a Portuguese Water Dog. Loved the Grey but I don't think I would own another one, however I would have another PWD in a heartbeat.

I can see a Basenji somewhere in the future (OH loves them) and probably a Border Terrier or two as we both like them, but life without a Stafford - never!