Breed Loyalty

sandgrubber

Assuming you now have breed XXX  

143 members have voted

1. 1. To what extent are you breed-loyal?

• I grew up with XXX and I'll have no other breed
    • My next dog will be XXX, like my present dog
    • I like variety. I have shifted breeds before and will probably do so again.
    • I've had problems XXX and when the time comes, I look forward to changing

I never thought of myself as being breed loyal as I love many breeds, big and small. However, our Tibetan spaniels are my first dogs(none during childhood) and I absolutely love this breed. I think it's because they fit in so well with my family and lifestyle and are devoted to our children. They are very sweet and loyal but have that stubborn/independent spirit that I admire (most of the time!). I have a feeling it will be tibbies all the way although I may be tempted by a greyhound or 2 in the future!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I grew up with a Golden Retriever and have a Saluki now. My nest dog will be another Saluki, but I have long been in admiration of giant breeds, particularly Leonbergers and Great Danes so they are also on my 'one day' list. I'd love another Golden Retriever at some point as well, and am also keen on Beagles... I guess I'm not entirely breed loyal, but Salukis will always be my heart breed, they're just right for my personality.

As a kid we had a Doberman and then I owned a GSD x Lab who travelled with me through my teenage years and kept me sane. She was the best dog who went everywhere with me and was the first to ride in my car when I got my P plates :D

When she passed away, due to old age, I was given my first Rottweiler by a friend. Yes a BYB dog :eek: but I have since learnt. Sam introduced me to the sport of obedience, even if we never got out of Class 4. :laugh:

Sam as a puppy

post-21478-0-64822900-1381216718_thumb.jpg

Sam just before he was PTS due to really bad arthritis

post-21478-0-53106200-1381216963_thumb.jpg

I waited 3 years for my first pedigree Rottweiler to come along and so started a fantastic friendship with her breeder and my everlasting love of the breed. Baylee arrived whilst Sam was in his older years.

Puppy Baylee

Bayleeflower1_zpsa498354b.jpg

Sam and Baylee

SamampBayleeMay2003_zps06d0f84b.jpg

Baylee introduced me to the thrill of Obedience trialling and the heartache of showing. She broke a seasmoid bone as a puppy which affected her gait :(

I now am owned by her niece and nephew, Dee and Zeph, who have taught me so much about training and dog behaviour. They have introduced me to the sport of herding and tracking. They have taught me patience and persistence. They have taught me to laugh at myself and that there is always another trial. They keep me fit and sane. They give great cuddles and constantly keep me amused.

Dee

21042013247_zps5c767b07.jpg

Zeph

post-21478-0-20605500-1381219598_thumb.jpg

DSCF4709.jpg

I love the Rottweiler because they are versatile, loyal, entertaining, challenging and more cuddly than Dobermans. :D

I cannot see myself changing to another breed.

Edited by grumpette

I can't answer the poll as there isn't any answer that suits.

I've had many breeds over my life. The Pug has been a significant recurrence though.

My next breed? Not sure. If I do get one I'll figure it out then. For the meanwhile I'll enjoy my pugs.

I had a BCx when I was a kid, -not the best choice for our family. He ended up 'going back to the farm' which I hope wasn't a euphemism for PTS. :(

As an adult, I was determined to choose a breed wisely. Bruno is our first Boxer, and I am head over heels in love with the breed. I can't imagine life without a Boxer now and hope to always have at least one. Other breeds I adore are Weimaraners, French Bulldogs, Great Danes, Rottweilers, greyhounds and British Bulldogs. I'm also partial to a couple of other breeds that friends own lovely examples of, Airedales and GSD's. So I'm breed-loyal to Boxers but have a roving eye and appreciation of other breeds too. :)

ETA: Grumpette, I'm a little bit in love with your dogs! Lovely photos. :heart:

Edited by trinabean

Didn't get my first dog until I was in my 20s although i'd grown up with my best friend's dogs - a Scottish Terrier, a Boxer cross and a Labrador - loved them all.

My first dog was a Lakeland Terrier. I have a great love of terriers but always admired the beauty and elegance of the Greyhounds and Whippets.

I was 40 when I got my first Italian Greyhound and in 2009 I set up Iggy Rescue with another DOLer so have fostered a load of them.

I will always own terriers though, I love them and they are hardier healthwise than the IGs and not as highly strung ..

Edited by dogmad

I grew up with terriers - shaggy dogs my family rescued from pounds. I loved them to bits but really wanted to know what I was living with when I was ready to get my first dog in my home. I tend to come up in rashes when I spend a lot of time with short coated breeds, so I was looking in amongst dogs that were either low shedding, or longer coated. In amongst the research I met a couple of miniature schnauzers and fell in love with the little guys. I now have two - one from a breeder and an oldie we've adopted from the club's rescue :) I think I'll always have a mini about, they suit me perfectly, but if I ever have the space I would LOVE a giant schnauzer, and I'll admit there's a few other breeds, mostly from the terrier group I could see myself living with down the track :)

Guest Maeby Fünke

My great aunt had a Pug and I had always wanted one. Pugs are definitely my favourite. They're quirky ways are so suited to my personality :laugh:

I grew up with Lab x's in our family and a pure bred one that used to hang around my Nanna's Neighbourhood, so much that my Nanna taught her Budgie to scream out "Where's Ben, Where's the Bl**dy Dog?".:laugh:

My Granny had a Aussie Terrier x, and then a Fox Terrier (purebred). I used to walk that Foxie everywhere, after the Lab died my parents refused to get more dogs. I was a lost soul looking for a puppy, 'Hooky' was a lost Foxie looking for a kid. We had loads of fun together. :) :walkdog:

Then we got a GSD (pedigree) and I learnt a LOT from that dog. Aside from teaching me about dogs with 'issues', he also introduced me to Obedience, Showing and Breeding. He was never bred from, but through the GSDCV (back then) I was hanging around breeders and 'showies'. And so my 'weird teenage' years began and creeped into 'weird young adult' years. (No one understood my interest or passion...no one...:laugh:)

When I left home I had to leave the GSD with my parents. :cry: I vowed I was going to get another one...I LOVED them...they were MY breed. And then my partner at the time said, "Uh Huh...NOT happening." I was :cry:. Until he mentioned it was going to be a Boxer or a Rottweiler. Rottweilers were my next pick after GSD's...so I was slightly mollified.

That first Rottie (as much as a Poo Head as he was)...and subsequent Rottweilers later caused in me a shift. I had found my breed. :heart: And it was :heart::love::heart:

In amongst that I had a cross breed and a small dog. Who were the comic relief. I loved them and they were fun, but Rottweiler cuddles are the awesomest.

Then a break and we got a Dory Dog...who is a one of a kind, never to be recreated super special Cross Breed. I toyed with the idea of getting other breeds, renting with big dogs is not easy. But when we found a rental that was very pet friendly I started thinking.....Hmmmmmmm....:idea: maybe I can have a Rottweiler again....One Day......

We had a few come into work, and I just loved the hugs, the hair, the slobber, the leaning....OMG...I missed Rottweilers...but....One day....:pray:

Then I had a mad midlife crisis and I decided...NO...I shall make One day...TODAY!!! :crazy:

And Willow entered our lives. :happydance2: I didn't think I had forgotten how great a Rottweiler was, until...I got another one....:cooldance: :cool: :cooldance:

And I haven't had a decent sleep in since. :doh:

:laugh:

I had every breed BUT GSDs growing up. My mum said no GSDs ever but from the age of 5 thats all I wanted. So I was breed loyal but my family wasnt :laugh: Turns out my dad is nuts about GSDs and has worked with them for many years. He even has his first GSDs face tattooed on his body. My mum had hoped she could steer me in another direction (I didnt grow up around my dad) but nope thats the first dog I bought on my own :)

I selected two options.

I love Border Collies, and am very happy to own one after many, many years of admiring them. I think I'll probably always have a BC, but I'm also open to owning other breeds concurrently.

Working dogs form my interest primarily. If I was to go for another breed any time soon, it would be a GSD. I'd also love to have a Malinois or maybe a Terv, but I'd need another one or two dogs before then to practice on first!

I grew up with a Toy and Mini Poodle, then a Poodle mix.. I always believed that due to my allergies I would only ever be able to have poodles, so didn't even consider anything else.

I now have a purebed Toy Poodle and our old Poodle mix living with me, but I'm sure that from now on, our dogs will be foster failures. If our circumstances were different, we'd keep the little Maltese x we are currently fostering, and I never thought I'd want a SWF! But life is strange sometimes :D There's something kind of exciting and fun to think that instead of "choosing", we'll just end up with the right dogs finding and staying with us, and they'll probably be random little non-shedding things.

If it were up to me and I could actually choose from any breed in the world, I don't think I'd be breed loyal, there are just too many gorgeous breeds I'd love to own. .. but I'd still probably end up with a house of foster failures! :laugh:

Edited by Alkhe

I grew up with a cross breed and then eventually got my first Toller when I was 15. I now have 3 and will be getting getting another soon.

I adore the breed and will always have one (or two, or three!) but there are still other breeds I would like to own.

Trinabean, how is your boy now?

Pretty good thanks Bianca.a. So as not to derail this thread, I will update his thread in the health forum.:)

ETA: Grumpette, I'm a little bit in love with your dogs! Lovely photos. :heart:

They tend to have that effect on people. Something to do with the leaning on people while smiling like a spaced out clown :rofl:

Ah, but I love that quality in a big dog. :D

Edited by trinabean