Lawsuit Over Buying A Crossbred To Breed More Crossbreds

redangel

Let me get this right...Someone bought a crossbred from a petshop (no seeing the parents) and sues that the crossbred is not as she expected (what did she expect-it doesnt really say)...all because she intended to use the dog as a mate for her dog.(resulting in more crossbreds) Factor in the comment below quoted from Hugh Wirth...well I am speechless. here

Since when did pet shops give prospective buyers "breeder" contact info? It says that the buyer viewed both parents, and that the breeder - upon being told of the Bichon in the mix - said she'd have charged extra for the dog if she'd known about the extras in the mix... WTF?

... and who goes to a pet shop looking for breeding stock?

If the owner weren't so obviously serious about her "problem", I'd find this one of the funniest stories yet... *sigh*

T.

I think its good that she did this but maybe would have been better to try by suing specifically for false advertising using a lawyer.

Maybe if she had won more the pet shops would stop selling these dogs by guessing or using look alike tactics to make them appear to be more than mongrels & the vets would be more careful in stating breed & have to put mongrel on the vet certificate.

The pet shops would be more careful in sourcing litters & have to go out to the place where they were bred too. More work for them & no interstate job lots flown in.

The good part is that she kept the dog as a pet so obviously cared for it despite the intention on buying.

Seeing it from a different prospective I know but its a valid view IMO.

I think its good that she did this but maybe would have been better to try by suing specifically for false advertising using a lawyer.

Maybe if she had won more the pet shops would stop selling these dogs by guessing or using look alike tactics to make them appear to be more than mongrels & the vets would be more careful in stating breed & have to put mongrel on the vet certificate.

The pet shops would be more careful in sourcing litters & have to go out to the place where they were bred too. More work for them & no interstate job lots flown in.

The good part is that she kept the dog as a pet so obviously cared for it despite the intention on buying.

Seeing it from a different prospective I know but its a valid view IMO.

interesting theory i like it

I'd like to know which vet put the breed as Maltalier on the vaccination card. I'd expect it to be Maltese x Cavelier at the very least.

I'd like to know which vet put the breed as Maltalier on the vaccination card. I'd expect it to be Maltese x Cavelier at the very least.

Urgh. Sadly - it's often the vet nurse / receptionsit who is tasked with this duty. (Speaking from experience) some clients can get very shitty when you can't or won't write the "breed" they want to call their animal.

I tried putting Cocker Sp x Poodle on a vac certificate once and was "corrected" - He's not a Cocker Sp x Poodle, I was told, he's a cockerpoo. I tried explaining that that breed wasn't recognised in the system (wasn't gunna even bother having any other argument...) - I was asked to hand write a vaccination certificate on clinic letter head (this was back, not long after we had computerised and did still hand write the occasional certificate. It was also back in the day when a "cockerpoo" was a relatively new thing).

It was also around that time that we had the onslaught of "he's got all the good traits of a poodle and a cocker spaniel" or my all time personal favourite - "He's worth so much because he comes from a purebred poodle AND a Purebred Cocker spaniel so you see - he's a combination of the both - I think they call it "hybrid vigour" and thats what makes cockerpoos so much more valuable than just a poodle"

The other thing is - pet shops often contract a vet to do all their work - and I will add it's a terrifying agreement which only serves to protect the pet shop. I wouldn't accept a "vet checked" animal from a pet shop if my life depended on it. Basically - I would put money on an over bearing owner who swears bling that their pet was a Maltalier OR a vet-for-hire who was instructed to sign off as such.

edited to add: Upon re-reading - sounds like its a vet-for-hire from the puppy mill who listed him as a Maltalier.

Shaggy was a blend of Bichon Frise, Australian terrier, cavalier King Charles spaniel and bitzer.

He's all these things AND bitsa? Isn't that a bit like saying I'm tubby, round, fat AND obese? I wish we could call it like it is - he's a bitsa or a mongrel or a mutt - but regardless he should be a well loved pet.

urgh. Friggin pet shops and stupid people!

Edited by Scottsmum

What a crock of cockerpoo!

I love Hugh Wirth's assessment of Shaggy's Bichon Frise lineage resulting in 'quiet, not much joy'. I think BF breeders should work on that whole no joy thing - there is an untapped market out there for that. Grumpy old men.

Huh?? All the Bichons I have met have been delightful, fun loving little dogs.

Same Rosetta. A couple of my friends have them and they are energiser bunnies who have to be in the thick of any household excitement. You have to wonder about the training of these so called experts. To me joy is a human trait anyway and I would think quiet is a personality thing and not a breed trait.

Since when did pet shops give prospective buyers "breeder" contact info? It says that the buyer viewed both parents, and that the breeder - upon being told of the Bichon in the mix - said she'd have charged extra for the dog if she'd known about the extras in the mix... WTF?

... and who goes to a pet shop looking for breeding stock?

If the owner weren't so obviously serious about her "problem", I'd find this one of the funniest stories yet... *sigh*

T.

I read it to say the pet shop person had viewed both parents not the purchaser.

I did think it interesting though that the judge stated that when buying a cross bred dog there was no guarantee of what one got. Maybe if people did not give these cross breeds silly names there would be less confusion all around.

If the dog was sold and wasn't as was advertised/claimed then technically they are entitled to a refund, all pet shops, private sellers, possibly shelters need to be aware of that. Animals are products being sold so if they are not as described then it is murky, this is why it is better to never call a breed something in particular or 2 crosses unless you absolutely know the parentage. It is much better to name the dominating breed and then write cross or simply cross breed

She may be an irresponsible byber but the law still protects them

Edited by casowner

It will depend on what level the term "Maltalier" and the recognition of crossbreds can be proven I suppose. If the store have gone to "reasonable" lengths to confirm the ancestry of the puppy, then does the purchaser end up with a leg to stand on?

A couple other stupid features:

1. If the woman was intending to breed crossbreeds, she should realize that the F2 generation doesn't breed true. Even if the dog was as advertized, the pups would be all over the place.

2. The reading I've done suggests that the DNA tests aren't very good at breed identification . .. there are lots of stories about people testing papered dogs tend to get results telling them they have some crazy mixture that doesn't include the dog's actual breed.

When I saw the title, I assumed this was going to be in the US. Good to see Australia is catching up in terms of stupid litigation.

It's no wonder that pounds and rescuers have a bloody hard time working out what crossbreed to write in a description of a dog - only yesterday we were studying one of my friend's adopted dogs (from a large rescue group in Sydney) and trying to work out what he was crossed with.

I said these days, you could be looking at multiple breeds in one dog .... and this is another fine example of disgusting puppy farm and back yard breeding practices, people are in it for only greed and money making and that's what this moron wanted when she went to get another pet shop pup to breed with.

Makes me sick to the core. :mad