Jogger Attacked By Dogs

samoyedman

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I did call the police, and they came out and talked to me, but they said because the dogs were on leads there was nothing they could do," Angela said.

This doesn't seem right. Just because the dogs were on lead doesn't mean it's ok to let them attack people. If the man lost control of his car and ran over some people - he'd still be liable.

"I did call the police, and they came out and talked to me, but they said because the dogs were on leads there was nothing they could do," Angela said.

This doesn't seem right. Just because the dogs were on lead doesn't mean it's ok to let them attack people. If the man lost control of his car and ran over some people - he'd still be liable.

I agree - I thought that was completely inadequate as a response from the law ....

I actually wondered if it was an 'attack' or 2 very badly behaved out of control dogs jumping up in excitement. A hard dog head in the face can do a lot of damage without agressive intent. Wouldn't make it any less awful for the poor woman or excuse the owner, of course.

It would probably be best to contact the local council to see if anyone has two dogs of this description registered. Chances are the dog owner is a local since he was walking his dogs in the area.

A report to the local ranger is necessary in any case.

I suspect the response from the police came from sheer laziness. They can't be bothered to try to locate the dog owner. Even though the police are not prepared to actually do something I trust that the report of this dog attack was at least documented for future reference.

Very few police officers know or understand the Companion Animals Act. Action can certainly be taken if the owners are located, regardless of whether they were leashed or not.

Poor woman, how awful. I also wonder if possibly the dog was very over-excited and boisterous, rather than having serious intent to injure. Regardless though, a tooth connected clearly and injured her severely - there is serious concern for the owner's ability to control their dogs regardless of whether the intent was aggressive or not.

I can't believe such a response. Those police should be given a good kick up the posterior.

I makes me sick to the stomach to think what that poor woman must have been going through, knowing her eye was injured, and no one coming near her to help.

God some people are disgusting. I don't have words for the owner of the dogs :mad:mad to just go an leave her to cope alone - bad enough being injured let alone in the eye and suffering from impaired vision as a result.

I hope he is found and prosecuted for leaving the scene of an accident/incident caused by his dogs.

I'm almost certain the law states that dogs must be 'under effective control' and if the owner can't adequately hold on to them whether they are on lead or not then they are not under effective control

In NSW if the dog is on lead and the owner is holding it the dog is considered controlled.

That doesn't negate an attack happening though, which is a separate offence.

But the dog owner did help her :confused: He gave her his t-shirt and walked her to her car. She then said she was ok to drive. Ok he should have done more but he didn't just nick off immediately.

The other people probably didn't offer to help because she was with the man. It wasn't like she was staggering around alone.

To save clicking the link....

A woman who was attacked by two dogs during a morning run at a Sydney sports reserve says she has been left "disappointed in human nature" after the animals' owner abandoned her with a bleeding eye that later required surgery.

The Hills Shire Council is now appealing for information to identify the owner and his two dogs, thought to be brown Dobermans, following the attack at Bernie Mullane Reserve in Kellyville last week.

Angela, who did not want her surname used, said she was jogging on a track that flanks Kellyville High School between 6.30am and 6.45am on Monday last week when she saw a man walking towards her with two dogs.

353angelia-300x0.jpg

"I had to sit down, trying not to faint.": Sydney woman Angela suffered a serious eye injury after being attacked by two dogs. Photo: Supplied

"The next thing I knew the dogs had jumped straight up into my face, into my eye," she said.

"I was shocked and I just pulled my hand straight up to my face. There was blood coming from my eye.

"The dogs were on leads, and he (the owner) pulled them off, because they were very strong dogs. I had to sit down, trying not to faint."

Angela said the man asked if she was all right, to which she replied that she wasn't.

He gave her his T-shirt to stem the bleeding, but then said he had to leave.

Angela said she asked the man to walk her back to where her car was parked about one kilometre away, to which he "begrudgingly said yes".

"He followed me back and said "Are you, OK?" and I said 'Well, I guess'. And then he left," Angela said.

"He said he had to go and look after his kids. He had two young kids. He seemed to be in a hurry.

"I didn't get his name or anything else.

"From my point of view, there were two things. I thought: he left me there without making sure that he called an ambulance. Also, I passed four or five other people and not one person stopped. I was very disappointed in human nature."

A family member drove Angela to a medical centre, but she was immediately told to go to hospital.

Doctors told her she would require surgery for a deep cut that had damaged a muscle around her eye. She required 18 stitches to her face, and said it was not yet clear if she had suffered any permanent damage to her eyesight.

Angela said she had been off work since the attack, and was experiencing double vision in her right eye.

Charles Meader, the council's community safety and compliance manager, said the council was doing everything it could to identify the dogs and their owner.

“The dogs were on-leash but it appears the owner of the dogs couldn't control them," he said.

“People shouldn't take dogs out in public if they are not confident they will be able to restrain them at all times.

“The injuries this woman suffered were very serious.”

He said the owner faced the possibility of having the dogs declared dangerous, in which case stringent control requirements came into force.

Those including having the animals de-sexed, keeping them in child-proof enclosures, muzzling them and not being able to transfer ownership.

“In serious cases, council can seek a destruction order through the courts,” Mr Meader said.

The man is thought to be about 180 centimetres tall, of average build, with collar-length hair and was wearing grey shorts.

Mr Meader urged anyone with information about the dogs or their owner to contact The Hills Shire Council on 9843 0555.

News.com (aka never-let-the-truth-get-in-the-way-of-a-good-story) have a slightly different story

http://www.news.com....x-1226870351271

You can't leave me like this: dog attack victim Angela's plea to owner

• by: richard noone
  • April 01, 2014 12:00AM

351191-955562e0-b89d-11e3-8a33-c23c348170ff.jpg Angela of Kellyville was attacked by two dogs while on her morning jog. Source: News Corp Australia

THE mauling by two dobermans on leads was horrifying enough but it was the callous action of their owner and passers-by that disgusted this dog attack victim.

The two brutes had just ripped into Angela's head, blood was pouring down her face and she was terrified. She suffered wounds which would require emergency surgery, 15 stitches in her right eye and uncertainty about her eyesight. All this for simply taking a jog through the Bernie Mullane Reserve at Kellyville at 6.30am last Monday.

After the attack the man gave her his T-shirt to hold against her eye. Then he completed what can only be described as a dog act. He turned to the woman who had just been brutally mauled by his two dogs and told her "I've got to go".

This despite Angela's pleas for him to stay until she got help.

"I said 'You can't leave me here like this'," Angela, who asked not to have her last name used, said.

352488-33b20a92-b86c-11e3-9580-78f49dffd642.jpg Dog attack victim Angela. Source: Supplied

352516-3531f83c-b86c-11e3-9580-78f49dffd642.jpg Angela had pleaded with the dogs' owner. Source: Supplied

"He told me that his dogs were really friendly and he had two young children."

Then he fled — a decision which has made him the No.1 target of the Hills Shire Council, which has warned the man now faces fines of $11,000 to $77,000 and potentially jail.

But if all this was not bad enough, what happened next was almost as shameful.

With the blood-covered T-shirt pressed to her right eye and puncture wounds to her left cheek and chin — which later needed a further three stitches — Angela said not a single person came to her aid as she made the lonely walk back to her car.

"I was in a lot of pain," she said.

"I passed four or five people and not one person stopped to ask if I was OK.

"I had this T-shirt over my eye and I had blood all over my face but no one stopped, which I think is pretty appalling."

352542-bb14084c-b89d-11e3-8a33-c23c348170ff.jpg The Bernie Mullane Sports Complex, Kellyville. Source: News Corp Australia

Council community safety and compliance manager Charles Meader said the council would do everything it could to find the dogs and their owner.

"People shouldn't take dogs out in public if they are not confident they will be able to restrain them at all times," he said.

"The injuries this woman suffered were very serious.''

Angela said the dogs looked like dobermans but were a pure brown colour.

"Surely someone would have noticed a man with no T-shirt on walking two large dogs 2km out of the park back to his house last Monday," she said.

The owner was described as about 180cm tall, of average build with collar-length hair and was wearing grey shorts.

Anyone with any information should call 02-9843 0555.

Talk about sensationalising it... the language they use is ridiculous. Poor woman. Hopefully she isn't too badly affected by this emotionally as well as physically.

Totally agree Mel..

Although from the first account, he did help her to her car (even if she thought it was begrudgingly - he was probably terrified the dogs would go at her again, if he stayed near her, I know I would be)..

In saying that - it doesn't look like a bite. It looks more like she has been headbutted..

I have had a black eye and swollen nose from a boofhead dog before (we were just mucking around and it was a headbutt, but by crikey it hurt)..

Still poor bugger - hope she heals quickly.

If the dogs were on lead how the hell did they even reach the woman? Surely the owner would have moved them away from anyone jogging towards him. If she jogged past them from behind then she put herself in danger running so close to unknown dogs. I really hope her eye is ok but if two Dobes "attacked" her they would have done a lot more damage than that. I had far more damage to my face from two bites from a smaller breed that did attack due to being ill with brain damage. If I hadn't been strong enough to grab his jaws and hold him off he would have done even more damage. I do question the intent of the dogs in this story but wonder why the owner wasn't able to keep the dogs away from her.

If I see someone jogging towards me I tend to assume the person will give me some space. Some people don't. Coming from behind you don't always hear them. It really pisses me off when they zoom past really close.

I've had some nice scratches on my face from Harper enthusiastically greeting me of an afternoon when I get home from work - and I'm usually backing away from her flailing paws when I get scratched (as I know she's nuts)...

I can see how an over-enthusiastic "greeting" from a couple of large dogs on an unwitting recipient could do the sort of damage that this lady suffered.

I'm not too sure what to think about the guy who owned the 2 dogs involved though... if the story we have been fed by the media is correct, then I don't think he did the right thing by the lady who got hurt by his dogs, and it WILL go badly on him and his dogs if/when they are eventually found... *sigh*

T.