Pig The Deformed Akita

Kajirin

Came across this when looking at Sploid, don't really have any words to describe what I'm thinking except...poor dog :( There's a video of Pig on the page

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/believe-it-or-not-this-is-a-real-dog-not-a-photoshop-1587328606

Pig—the name of this Akita mutt—is not one of those ridiculous photoshops of animals with short necks. She was born like this in the woods northeast of Atlanta. Nobody gave a damn for her life except her owner, Kim Dillenbeck: "The lady who found her, the vet told her to have her put down."

I met some of her neighbors who came over for Christmas breakfast, and after hearing about Pig, we all went to her house. I bonded with Pig right away. I thought I'd either be with her or near her helping her find a home.

Pretty quickly, I decided to be her mother because she probably wouldn't live. We assumed that by now, she would be suffocating under her own organs, or something like that, because of her shape.

Pig is missing part of her spine, several ribs, and "her hips and joints are rotated in the wrong positions." But, according to Dillenbeck, "Pig doesn't know there's anything wrong with her." She's now eight months old and 15 pounds, which about less than half the weight a dog of her size and age should be.

However, don't smile and go awwwwww just yet. The sad news is that Pig is not fully grown yet, as Dillenbeck told Al.com: "She's still gaining weight. At this point, she has the potential to gain another 20 pounds, and that would probably kill her." Dillenbeck says she feels very lucky to have Pig in her life, even while she knows she's going to die sooner than a normal dog.

But that is life. Until that sad moment comes, she'll be happy and very loved. And that's all that matters, really.

We as humans intervene way too much and force lives to extend when they shouldn't and naturally wouldn't in a lot of cases. IMO this is one of those cases. Poor thing.

Couldn't agree more.

Poor animal

I am actually a bit surprised at the comments here. I see a happy dog in the video - weird looking - but she doesn't seem unhappy. If someone is willing to let her live as long as she can without pain - why not. She was trotting after the ball without any evidence that something is very wrong. I hope when she does exhibit pain she is put down humanely and not allowed to linger but for now she seems fine. I have seen more unhappy dogs walking down the street with obvious weight, leg, lameness, whatever, problems who say to me 'my owner needs to address my problems'.

Really pepe :confused:

Pig is missing part of her spine, several ribs, and "her hips and joints are rotated in the wrong positions." But, according to Dillenbeck, "Pig doesn't know there's anything wrong with her." She's now eight months old and 15 pounds, which about less than half the weight a dog of her size and age should be.

However, don't smile and go awwwwww just yet. The sad news is that Pig is not fully grown yet, as Dillenbeck told Al.com: "She's still gaining weight. At this point, she has the potential to gain another 20 pounds, and that would probably kill her." Dillenbeck says she feels very lucky to have Pig in her life, even while she knows she's going to die sooner than a normal dog.

The vets advice should have been taken, poor thing should have been humanly euthanised instead of now waiting for her to get too heavy for her body to cope with :mad

Edited by CrazyCresties

But she won't have a well life, or a long or happy one by the looks. And how could this woman have known that she would even be mobile or as she says that her organs werent being cruahed by her ribs when she fell in love with the pup? It strikes me as cruel to let it get to the point where she feels pain and needs to be euthanised.

And how can you say without a doubt she isn't suffering? I can't believe she lives a life free of any pain. I'm sure she's a tough cookie but I'd have let her go at birth.

I am actually a bit surprised at the comments here. I see a happy dog in the video - weird looking - but she doesn't seem unhappy. If someone is willing to let her live as long as she can without pain - why not. She was trotting after the ball without any evidence that something is very wrong. I hope when she does exhibit pain she is put down humanely and not allowed to linger but for now she seems fine. I have seen more unhappy dogs walking down the street with obvious weight, leg, lameness, whatever, problems who say to me 'my owner needs to address my problems'.

Anyone who knows Akitas will tell you that they don't show many signs outwardly of pain, they are so stoic, so just because the dog is running after a ball and showing no signs of pain doesn't mean they aren't in pain.

--Lhok

Edited by Lhok

Horrible.

Hope she suffers as little as possible. I really do think in too many scenarios like this, people act selfishly to 'rescue' animals when the most humane thing would be to euthanise them. Dogs don't exactly advertise or communicate their discomfort or pain so when are they going to draw the line and say enough is enough for this poor dog?

:( whilst I have every sympathy for 'Pig', I think humane euthanasia sooner rather than later would be the best outcome. Also (and this is something of a personal bugbear), how many other (healthy, boring but unwanted) dogs could be kept alive with the resources devoted to 'rescuing' this one dog?