Breeders Should...

Leema

147 members have voted

1. 1. Breeders should...

• Always take back any dog of their breed that becomes in need of rescue.
    • Always take back any dog they bred that becomes in need of rescue.
    • Always take back any dog like their breed that becomes in need of rescue.
    • Always take back at least some dogs that are in need of rescue.
    • Have no moral obligation to have anything to do with rescue.

Absolutes generally point out the need for exceptions.

I agree with 'breeders should take back as rescue dogs that they bred' as an ideal. But it is an ideal that can't always be lived up to. Breeders grow old, move into smaller houses, get dementia, become frail, change locations, etc., just like anyone else.

I've returned to the US. I only had one or two dogs come back to me in my life as a breeder and had no trouble rehoming those (one was a pup and I was able to refund the person's money as well as find a good home for the dog). No one has contacted me about a dog needing a new home since I moved (in 2010), but if they did, I'd be hard put to help them. I tried to help Lab rescue in WA, but the group almost never had any dogs needing rescue.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I only bred one litter and was offered one of that litter back. The person wanted me to pay the full price to get the dog back. I thought that was rather rude and declined. The dog had 2 litters by that stage and she was only 2yo(no complications) so I thought it was super greedy. The dog wasn't in any danger of going to a pound etc. She ended up in a lovely home and I got to meet her.

I've always regretted not taking her back as she was my fav puppy but I was really pissed off.

That put me off breeding.

I think it is up to the owner to rehome their pet unless there are circumstances like the owner is really sick. The breeder should offer help though as they may know of people that want a older dog. I would expect a breeder to take a dog back if the owner was threatening to drop it off at the pound.

I believe I am ultimately responsible for any pup I breed and should take it back. If one of my dogs ended up in rescue or the pound I would want that dog back end of story!

My puppy buyers are told I will take their dog back at any stage throughout that dogs life, no questions asked. There is no offer of paying for the dog, but if at the end of the day it was the only way to get the dog back I would do it.

However things can change in a persons life where they cannot take a dog back for whatever reason. In that case they should do everything they can to find that dog an appropriate new home.

Where I can I will help other dogs but I will not put any of my other animals or pet at risk to do so.

Edited by OSoSwift

As far as should I could, would I, should I bring an adult Maremma here that I didnt breed - no. Depending on what is here at the time and the resources I have at the time it's hard enough to bring one of my own back without considering anyone else's.

By the way - you cant win anyway - years ago when I was younger and had more energy and resources I used to occasionally take in a dog and rehome them that I didnt breed of one of my breeds and all that got me was other breeders and rescue accusing me of wanting to do that to breed them. rofl1.gif

I think I understand your frustration, Leema, but your choices are much too restrictive.

Circumstances changes. Perhaps you need a "would if I could" option.

You don't know what might have gone on in a breeder's life between the time when one of theirs dogs was rehomed and if it came into a pound.

You are asking for perfection and it is not going to happen.

So, I couldn't vote either.

yes.

I would take ,and have any foster of mine that didn't work out, wether I took it back myself or got it back into care.

I would expect a breeder to do the same, but after years in rescue I see that that doesn't happen. :(

Room is no excuse, I would pay for kennels if I had too.

Whst if every dog you bred was returned at once ? What if the dog didn't cope with being kennelled? Surely that isn't in the best interest of the dog ? Do we expect breeders to have lots of $ stashed away of there is a mass return?

I expect breeders to do their best to regime dogs and help their breed rescue (might be fostering, money, fundraising, admin for a site etc) . It doesn't have to be much but I do believe if you breed you need to contribute something back to dog welfare.

I voted for taking back a dog bred but I don't like the word always. As others have said there can be a lot of reasons why it would be irresponsible to do so.

I know when I sell a foal my contract asks that I'm given first option to buy back, if I can't I offer help in selling be it advertising or free agistment if it's an urgent sale, even training if there is a problem. Bit different from the world of dogs but I still think it's responsible to do what you can to help out when it's something you put on the ground.

Yes agreed, I can see that sometimes there may be no way of taking a dog back. In that situation I would expect the breeder to be instrumental in helping rehome the dog appropriately or try and get the dog into breed rescue etc etc etc.

Locally we have a once was registered then bred every heat so couldn't register them so stoped being a member breeder of my breed. I have helped get their puppy's out of pounds, rehomed and into rescue over the years and have my feelers in a couple of areas biding my time. I help where I can but I must put the safety of my animals first so cannot always take them in.

In an ideal world, the person/family who takes on the responsibility of a pet should take the responsibility of rehoming that pet should they not be able to look after it. A pet is not like a toaster or any other appliance that if it's broken, throw it away and get a new one. That same person/family should also see to the proper training/care such a dog would need BEFORE taking on the responsibility and do their damn research to see if the breed and indeed the individual animal will suit their lifestyle. It's great to love a breed, but not all breeds/animals are suitable for every family.

I get heaps of enquiries for border collies for a gift for a child's birthday. No pet should be a "gift" unless the person receiving the gift is actually wanting and is able to look after the pet.

I have and will take back dogs which I bred. However if the person who has bought the dog from me has someone lined up who is capable of looking after said dog, then this is perfectly fine by me. No use shipping a dog back from Melbourne to Brisbane if there is a good home in Melbourne that will take it.

However I have been in a position where I already had full numbers at my place and it would not have been possible to take back such a dog for an extended period of time. This can make it hard for breeders to take back animals. Breeders certainly should try to assist in finding a home for the animal.

Just to put the question out there:

But really at the end of the day... We bred the dog/cat yes.. We found what was thought to be a good home yes.... If their circumstances have changed, why is it still our fault or responsibility possibly years later to find another home for that animal - especially if the reason for the rehoming is nothing to do with the breeder or the way it was bred (eg health or temperament issues from a genetic disposition).

I will still take back dogs I bred - that is not the point of the above question. The dog I did take back years ago - I had to take to the vet to be put down as the person who bought it and the subsequent people that dog went to destroyed it. If I had known much sooner the person I sold that dog to was having problems looking after it, I would have taken it back and it may be alive today. I would sooner do this myself than have an unknown vet at the pound do it. I was there when it took its first breath, I was there when it took its last.

Also. So many times - breeders don't know their dog has been rehomed or dumped until well after the fact. That can also play a difficult part in taking back dogs of their breeding.

Your last para, Mystiqview, pertains to a rescue group as well as a breeder. People lie about why a dog/other animal is being surrendered, they are embarrassed and instead of having the guts and decency to admit that their circumstances have changed, or they don't like the animal or some other reason, they would rather see an animal suffer being in a pound even with a very strong chance the animal may be euthanised. :(

I think breeders should definitely try and either take back or assist a dog they have bred if they are informed about the dog being in trouble.

Sometimes owners are really deceitful for one reason or another. Recently I came across a purebred puppy in a pound - had been sold at 3 months of age by the breeder and at 5 months, was dropped off to the pound by the owner.

Owner was informed pound was full and the puppy (along with two other animals surrendered) would be euthanased within a couple of hours.

Why that owner couldn't have rung the breeder and explained there was an issue but would rather leave the pup to die, I have no idea. It defies belief.

The puppy survived (as did the other two dogs) - my rescue group took the puppy, found the breeder and with the breeder's blessing have found a fantastic home for the pup.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

I think all breeders have a moral obligation to take back dogs they have bred, if they cannot i.e. space, funds, they need to be highly involved in helping that dog get a new home.

We deal so often with breeders who won't take their dogs back, it's really saddening :( More than happy to go above and beyond for a breeder who can't take the dog but wants to help.

I think if a dog is found to be unsuitable & the person has to put it into rescue, that the breeder of that dog should be contacted & given the option to take it back or help find a new home for it. I don't feel the breeder should be obliged to buy the pup back, unless there is something physically wrong with it. With both my dogs, when I bought them, it was on the condition that the breeder would be contacted & given first option if for any reason the pup was not suitable. I would not buy from anyone who did not stipulate this...not because I want an "out" if I don't like the dog, but because it shows they have a genuine interest in the welfare of their pups. :) To say they should take ALL dogs of their breed is just ridiculous :eek:

May i also ad many breeders & rescue clubs do anything to help & many rescues make it near impossible .

I now breeders who have found out dogs where in facilities & stepped up to the deal with it aap only to have rscues make it impossible to get the dog back or help .

But like many people aren't honest & won't phone & say hey things have changed we can no longer keep ^^^^.I can apprepraite in some cases the term"Breeder" is not one we use in the same manner nor would you want to return the dog to them but often the good breeders are there & will do anything to help .

Although the biggest issue i see is joe public who make such a big deal over people having to rehome that they make people feel being devious the best choice.

Life can change & rehoming may very well be the best & responsible option the sad part is the do gooder brigade make these people fell like the scum for doing something in the right circumstances i applaud.

We take any of ours back because whilst we may have sold it we choose to breed it .

Like others, while I clicked on the option for a breeder taking back a dog they bred, I too feel that this really is an over simplification of the response I wanted to give.

I do feel that wherever and however possible, the breeder should be actively assisting to ensure a dog they bred is well placed in a stable environment/home. In some circumstances this will not involve taking the dog back into their home physically. IMO however, it does involved a degree of 'duty of care' to oversee the situation for the welfare of the dog and this could involve providing guidance, advice, assisting in an appropriate placement, monetary assistance etc. It may either be hands off or hands on involvement depending on the individual situation (geographical distance, other circumstnaces such as a litter, human illness, changes in circumstance, whether the dog is currently in a stable environment and 'safe', whether the dog needs emergency care/housing, the condition of the dog and so on.

Just as important however, is that the breeder is INFORMED of the situation. A breeder can not do anything if they don't know and as much as they try to keep in contact, there is only so much they can do if the owner does not reciprocate (without coming across as a stalker...). And sometimes an owner handing in a dog my distort or fabricate the truth regarding whether or not they have spoken to the breeder, so I would hope that rescues would also be following up with the breeder themselves in person to confirm the situation. There has been more than one situation too where a breeder has tried desperately to get a dog they bred back, only to have a rescue refuse. Breeders can not take on all the responsibility for these types of situations which are first and formost caused by the owner, not the breeder.

I'm another breeder who won't answer the survey.... just tooo many factors to take into consideration and hard to judge others without understanding their individual circumstances.

As breeders we have a responsibility to:

1. Try to choose the right home i.e. the sort of home that suits the lifestyle for their breed.

2. To help educate and guide that home particularly (with general public) for the first 12 months till they have established a good connection with their dog.

3. Keep an open line of communication - so homes know they can get in touch for help, preferably without being judgemental.

4. Understand that situations can change - hence help in rehoming.... that means to either take the dog back or HELP find another home.....

The above is possible for all breeders and should be the basis of what sets Pedigree Dogs apart from the BYB / Puppy Farm / Pet shop.

However what I think really should happen is that we start to define what is a Breeder to the general public- confusion lies with the concept of Registered Breeder - Registered how?

I would love to see Dogs Vic (ANKC) bring out a system of having "CERTIFIED BREEDERS" - This would be someone who goes above and beyond the call of duty - not a first time breeder but someone who has had 3-4 litters could apply. An assessment could be conducted to certify a breeder - new puppy owners could be given a survey to complete and send back - this could encourage buyers to continue networking with the breeder and the VCA and reporting any issues they have concerns or indeed for puppy buyers to continue to praise the services of their breeder.

Perhaps a breeder should:

* show they provide a comprehensive puppy pack

* meet the requlations of Dogs Vic and/or Dept Primary Industry

* Provide ongoing support to the families

* Provide a simple Letter of Agreement between buyer and breeder

* Have a system in place to help with rehoming

* Have conducted health testing - individual xrays and dna that is relevant for the breed

Personally I know I go well above what most breeders do - we hold an Annual Picnic and a few workshops thru the year to encourage people back - we send out xmas cards to EVERY dog EVERY year ..... and we also get back many xmas cards with photos - have now started doing a seasonal newsletter to keep families up to date on information regarding new vaccination protocols, microchipping laws, reviews on products we have used and even holiday ideas for dogs. We even have a few dogs who we take out and run little demo's in the community.

Breeders also need to be encouraged to expand their ideas about what a Breeder actually is - from just having a website or attending shows and competitions.... but thinking outside the box and promoting their breed in everyday life. Pedigree dogs need to be exposed to the general public in a positive way - and this is not just at a Pet Expo where families have to pay to attend.... The breeders who make the effort should be rewarded and set up as examples for others to follow.

post-23842-0-90598700-1403061950_thumb.jpg

Now I will get down off my soapbox......