Oops. Johnny Depp's Dogs

persephone

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that he did the wrong thing whether through ignorance or wilful disobedience, and certainly making it clear that quarantine breaches are taken very seriously here is important. But the ensuing media circus should have been handled much better, Joyce should be sacked for his unnecessary belligerence. No need to make it a pissing contest just follow the protocol and point out the reasons for such in a calm and professional manner. Too much to expect of our pollies I suppose.

I heard that customs/quarantine "inspected the plane" and there was "nothing untoward on the flight manifest" which means they read the paperwork and did not get on the plane.

Possibly because they didn't want to find anything "untoward" but weren't thinking of dogs but stuff for "personal use". Ie nobody wants to bugger up the local movie industry by offending visiting movie stars. And if you don't look you won't find anything.

And the groomer made the news - possibly because of johnny depp fans... and then someone thought - how did he get the dogs in without quarantine time... and that would do it.

I expect whomever said they "inspected" the plane might actually get on it next time. If they still have that job.

I heard that customs/quarantine "inspected the plane" and there was "nothing untoward on the flight manifest" which means they read the paperwork and did not get on the plane.

Possibly because they didn't want to find anything "untoward" but weren't thinking of dogs but stuff for "personal use". Ie nobody wants to bugger up the local movie industry by offending visiting movie stars. And if you don't look you won't find anything.

And the groomer made the news - possibly because of johnny depp fans... and then someone thought - how did he get the dogs in without quarantine time... and that would do it.

I expect whomever said they "inspected" the plane might actually get on it next time. If they still have that job.

Was on the news that the plane was regarded as low risk....

One of those times of massive systems failure.

:mad

I am just quietly pleased that the two dogs have been flown out of Australia and they did not get euthanized.

That is a good outcome. If they were euthanized, that would be the fault of their owner. Multi millionaire Hollywood superstar or down on your luck welfare recipient from struggle street, they are your dogs and your responsibility.

I am a tad pissed off that Johnny Depp has not been fined a very substantial amount of money for pissing on Australia's quarantine laws, but I am glad that his dogs managed to survive his lack of concern for their welfare.

Perhaps if JD got had got fined a substantial amount, it could have been used for promoting responsible dog ownership in Australia.

Hey! Just a thought...

ricey

I am involved somewhat with the Commonwealth Agriculture Department that has the responsibility for "maintaining Australia's borders and protecting us from nasty stuff from overseas".

These poor bastards have had their budgets and personnel numbers so harshly slashed by the Abbott government that they'd be lucky to notice a couple of hundred wildebeest on a Sopwith camel bi-plane, let alone two small terriers on a private jet. About now is the best time to import anything illegal into Australia, as the Ag Dept. and Customs really don't have much chance of stopping it.

But hey! We have stopped the boats, haven't we? And your priorities are?

ricey

Also a bit OT- can our native animals get rabies?

All mammals can get rabies. Probably marsupials as well, Rabies in American Opossums is extremely rare but not unknown.

Off topic a bit but Rabies will reach Australia eventually. Not from Celebs and their illegal dogs, but from free flying migrations of fruit bats from Indonesia to Australia. Or rats ect travelling with people entering Aus illegally (for whatever reason)

I am just quietly pleased that the two dogs have been flown out of Australia and they did not get euthanized.

That is a good outcome. If they were euthanized, that would be the fault of their owner. Multi millionaire Hollywood superstar or down on your luck welfare recipient from struggle street, they are your dogs and your responsibility.

I am a tad pissed off that Johnny Depp has not been fined a very substantial amount of money for pissing on Australia's quarantine laws, but I am glad that his dogs managed to survive his lack of concern for their welfare.

Perhaps if JD got had got fined a substantial amount, it could have been used for promoting responsible dog ownership in Australia.

Hey! Just a thought...

ricey

Post truly needs a LIKE . Well said, ricey.

Yes, I am hacked off at the issue. But I can not help but fell sorry for the two little dogs because of some human failing. As isaid, faults on both sides.

:cry:

Also a bit OT- can our native animals get rabies?

All mammals can get rabies. Probably marsupials as well, Rabies in American Opossums is extremely rare but not unknown.

Off topic a bit but Rabies will reach Australia eventually. Not from Celebs and their illegal dogs, but from free flying migrations of fruit bats from Indonesia to Australia. Or rats ect travelling with people entering Aus illegally (for whatever reason)

I think marsupials are still classed as mammals because they feed their young milk. I'm pretty sure our fruit bats already carry a virus in the rabies family.

Fruit bats currently can carry a number of zoonotic diseases... the scariest being Lyssavirus, a member of the Rabies family. Protocol for working with them includes getting Rabies vaccinations to reduce the effects if you get Lyssavirus. I think you also need to have had Hep B shots also, but that should be a given if working with any "exotic" type of animal. Possibly need Q fever shots as well...

T.

Guest donatella

Hey! Just a thought...

ricey

They would never be euthed here, we have some compassion. He's lucky he didn't try this in Asia, they'd have been euthed on the spot and not humanely

Edited by donatella

Hey! Just a thought...

ricey

They would never be euthed here, we have some compassion. He's lucky he didn't try this in Asia, they'd have been euthed on the spot and not humanely

Quarantine will euthanise illegally imported animals but they have generally been abandoned by their importer. It's about maintaining biosecurity, not being cruel. Of course, most are probably smuggled birds and reptiles not cute little dogs owned by movie stars. But don't doubt for a moment the "leave or PTS" message was real and it happens. And when it happens, the importer is the one responsible for the deaths.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I'm pretty pissed he hasn't been hit with a huge fine.

He (or his staff) would of signed a declaration coming in to Australia. If they didn't read it properly that's their own stupid fault (although I bet they knew it was in the wrong anyway).

Same as the people on those Quarantine reality shows who's Mothers pack their bags for them and packed some extra snacks they didn't know about. They didn't know, but they signed the declaration and still get fined for it.

I'm pretty pissed he hasn't been hit with a huge fine.

He (or his staff) would of signed a declaration coming in to Australia. If they didn't read it properly that's their own stupid fault (although I bet they knew it was in the wrong anyway).

Same as the people on those Quarantine reality shows who's Mothers pack their bags for them and packed some extra snacks they didn't know about. They didn't know, but they signed the declaration and still get fined for it.

Jet arrived on the Gold Coast. Not a usual practice so it is possible procedures were not carried out correctly.

Depp should be fined that's a given for many, including me.

Fruit bats currently can carry a number of zoonotic diseases... the scariest being Lyssavirus, a member of the Rabies family. Protocol for working with them includes getting Rabies vaccinations to reduce the effects if you get Lyssavirus. I think you also need to have had Hep B shots also, but that should be a given if working with any "exotic" type of animal. Possibly need Q fever shots as well...

T.

Yes was about to point out that we have a very similar virus here already, i don't believe that Lyssa is as easily transmissible as rabies but there is no way of knowing without extensive testing and research which is currently not a research priority here. Horses can catch Lyssa so it has already established cross species infection. Also we have Hendra which dogs can catch and is closely related to Nipah, it is unknown whether the dogs which have caught it have done so directly from bats or from horses, if it becomes more easily transmissible we will be in trouble.

Australia is a ticking time bomb as far as zoonotic diseases go, but of course that shouldn't imply that laxity in quarantine procedures should be tolerated.

I think it will be all brushed under the carpet now they have gone, don't want to upset a movie star bringing income here. Total farce, he should have the book thrown at him, i'm sure i wouldn't get off if i brought a couple of pooch's back with me net week from the states!

I thought the captain was responsible for his plane? Its not a short flight, you cant miss 2 dogs for that long.

Stupid groomer, no client privacy for one, and no client welfare afterwards, dumbass.

But the groomer then defended him, instead she should have been concerned over the welfare of her other customers.

I still don't get why they weren't put in quarantine first, before being sent back, seems odd protocol.

Edited by juice

But the groomer then defended him, instead she should have been concerned over the welfare of her other customers.

I still don't get why they weren't put in quarantine first, before being sent back, seems odd protocol.

With all the dogs that have been cleared of disease before flying in? No thanks - the health status of every one of them would be at risk.