Disappointing...

Scrappi&Monty

The other day I was watching a friend's soccer game and it was a lovely day so lots of people brought their dogs.

There was a boofy British bulldog which everyone was giving pats and fussing over and he was near us on a really long lead. 

There was also a man who had a border collie on a bright yellow NERVOUS collar & leash, jogging around the oval. The man was about 5 metres away from the bulldog and he made the border collie heel closely and they calmly walked in a sort of arc around the bulldog (obviously so it wouldn't chase or lunge at them or frighten the collie)

The man with the bulldog let it lunge and chase after the border collie and said "haha chase 'em buddy" despite the border collie being obviously uncomfortable and the owner slowing down and carefully walking around AND an obvious brightly coloured lead that I would've thought said NERVOUS very clearly. 

Maybe be the general public aren't as aware and switched on about things like that as I thought. 

I was thinking of getting a yellow 'Nervous' or an orange 'No Dogs' one for Monty if we join up for obedience, I feel like people at dog training will be more aware, but seeing that man not even notice just made me a bit annoyed. 

Also a lady with a beagle on a retractable lead walked past the bulldog, and the owners let them say hi. The bully was sniffing the beagle quite forcefully and pushing it about and the beagle had its tail tucked under and was trying to get away but tangled up and neither owner did anything about it. :doh:

It is disappointing, but another example of "You can't fix stupid/ignorant/arrogant ... insert appropriate label."    We had an example at dog club on Sunday .. on an unfenced oval, with public area and walking tracks around.   Guy ambles through with his off leash medium mix .. follows it at a good distance as it comes down off the walking track and onto the oval, among instructors' cars .. right up near a car in which the dogs were barking at it.   Then near other cars.   One of the other instructors politely asked him not to let his dog just wander up to other people's cars, and because he was on the oval where classes were going on, to either move back to the track about 15 metres away, or put his dog on lead.   Copped a mouthful of abuse about why he didn't need to do that .. he and his dog could go where he liked .... yadda yadda.    :banghead:.   Oh and the normal addition to that sort of thing .. the owners of the other dogs are paranoid, or should train their dogs!

• Like 2

I wouldn't expect the public to be aware of wording on a leash ,these days so many business have leashes printed with wording so in the scheme of things unless people are made aware of them i would not rely on the wording to mean anything to joe public.

At an obedience club i would expect people attending the classes to be made aware ,i would not expect those attending to all understand.

I would expect a good club to make informing there class members about those leashes & what they mean very important.

I think clubs should have "intruders" with well trained dogs & good explaining skills to enter classes with such leads & see how the class members respond ,a good learning tool if people are made involved .

I blame this current trend of my dog can do anything & say hello to whom ever on many of the puppy preschools that encourage the free for alls & can do what they want .

We see it with our clients the people who simply assume as there puppy did pre school it can say hello to whom ever & as the dogs often arent taught how to interact around other dogs & to be calm,have good self control or just simply "its not a social" moment parent it will just get worse.

I walk daily in one area without the dogs due to the numpty owners ,its interesting watching the lack of control,lack of common sense ,often these same people have kids in tow learning the same habits there parents do or the i walk past 10 signs sayong onleash but there dogs are offleash .

Oh for the perfect worold of dog ownership

• Like 1

Such a huge problem nowadays because there are so many breeds of dog that aren't suitable for just anyone to own, but it's a free country and there's nothing stopping certain types of people owning certain types of dogs. What can you do?

Reminds me of a Christmas Day many years ago. I had my 2 small children and a male mini schnauzer, on lead, at the beach in Hervey Bay. All of us having a great time playing at the waters edge when next thing my dog was in the jaws of a Rottweiler, off lead. Owners nearby but doing nothing. Thankfully my dog was not injured. Once free the kids, dog and myself all went straight home rather shaken. 

Too many people out there believing their dog can do and go anywhere it likes. My dogs are only off lead in designated areas or when I know we are absolutely all alone. 

• Like 1

As I had a lovely bright yellow collar and lead for my GSD many years ago I would never consider yellow meant anything. Red is the warning colour for many things though I also have a lovely red collar and lead set. So I don't pay attention to what colour collar and lead a dog may have on. So many pretty colours.

BUT no way would I have let my dog interact with the border collie. The runner's response would have been my clue not the colour of a lead. Though I still wouldn't have let my dog interact.

• Like 1

For my old dog, no one got the yellow ribbon etc, so I made him "disabled" plates that hung either side like a backpack. That certainly got attention but imbeciles still thought the vet waiting room was a dog social club and gee would I be rude and blunt to them.

samdisabledplates_zpsb0eb4577.jpg

Edited by karen15
  • Like 2

I have leads and collars of all colours - nothing significant about that except that each dog has a different colour and they all hang together in case I need to get out fast in an emergency.

• Like 2

Literally just made this. I am so done with people.

18056251_10203173725340600_4357103782637

Also saw a post on FB recently about a dog with a yellow lead that had 'nervous' embroidered on it. She said she gets asked all the time if that's her dog's name.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, sarsplodicus said:

Interesting topic. Just wondering if people, especially non-horse people, know that a red ribbon in a horse's tail means it's likely to kick. 

That made me laugh Sars...they would soon find out what the ribbon meant when they went round the back

2 minutes ago, sarsplodicus said:

Interesting topic. Just wondering if people, especially non-horse people, know that a red ribbon in a horse's tail means it's likely to kick. 

Non-horse person here. I didn't know, however I never walk anywhere near the rear end of horses as I act on the assumption that any horse will kick and I don't know how to read their body language. It's like not taking a toy or food away from an unknown dog.

:offtopic:

One time in Tassie we were walking through a field on a property and all of a sudden a big herd of horses (maybe 20?) just descended on me out of nowhere. They weren't at all interested in my husband, just super fascinated by me or maybe thought I had something for them? I don't know. It felt kind of special but with my limited understanding of horses I decided it was properly safest to 'be a tree' even though they were nuzzling into me. :laugh:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, huga said:

Literally just made this. I am so done with people.

18056251_10203173725340600_4357103782637

Also saw a post on FB recently about a dog with a yellow lead that had 'nervous' embroidered on it. She said she gets asked all the time if that's her dog's name.

Sadly I suspect you'll still have people acting inappropriately. :(

I've thought about the yellow nervous or no dogs gear for Malcolm and decided people would probably just come closer to read it and in any case the vast majority of owners of 'friendly' dogs don't listen anyway. They'd probably see it as an invitation to come over and help. *eye roll*

Just yesterday I had someone say "don't worry mine's friendly" to which I said "mine's not, I'm going over here (walked off) please stay away."

So he proceeded to let his beagle walk all the way over to mine. It was even on a leash so he had full control! :banghead:

Anyway Mal was a superstar and just sat and maintained perfect focus on me while I told him he was a very clever boy and rapid fed him treats. :cheer:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Non-horse person here. I didn't know, however I never walk anywhere near the rear end of horses as I act on the assumption that any horse will kick and I don't know how to read their body language. It's like not taking a toy or food away from an unknown dog.

:offtopic:

One time in Tassie we were walking through a field on a property and all of a sudden a big herd of horses (maybe 20?) just descended on me out of nowhere. They weren't at all interested in my husband, just super fascinated by me or maybe thought I had something for them? I don't know. It felt kind of special but with my limited understanding of horses I decided it was properly safest to 'be a tree' even though they were nuzzling into me. :laugh:

My point is that if people were kicked the owner could and did then say that they had been warned and it was their own fault. I just wonder if it will ever come to people accepting that a dog wearing a yellow jacket or lead or whatever is not to be approached. If this were to happen doggy people need to decide on a universal warning, be it yellow lead or jacket or something else. Then the public need to be educated, perhaps through something like Dr Harry on Better Homes and Gardens. Personally I stay away from all dogs when I have my dogs unless they are ones I know. Without my dog I always ask first if I can interact and then some owners seem surprised and just say 'Of course'. as though I am an idiot for asking. 

:offtopic:I think horses like trees. :) They eat bark. If an angry horse came at me (ie ears flattened and teeth bared and snaking its neck) I would probably wave my hands at it and yell and get out of there as quickly as I could.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Papillon Kisses said:

Sadly I suspect you'll still have people acting inappropriately. :(

I've thought about the yellow nervous or no dogs gear for Malcolm and decided people would probably just come closer to read it and in any case the vast majority of owners of 'friendly' dogs don't listen anyway. They'd probably see it as an invitation to come over and help. *eye roll*

Just yesterday I had someone say "don't worry mine's friendly" to which I said "mine's not, I'm going over here (walked off) please stay away."

So he proceeded to let his beagle walk all the way over to mine. It was even on a leash so he had full control! :banghead:

Anyway Mal was a superstar and just sat and maintained perfect focus on me while I told him he was a very clever boy and rapid fed him treats. :cheer:

I'll test run it this week and report back. I was going to use 'give me space' but I didn't have enough room.
I've done the 'Mine's not!' thing before and got a mouthful for having my 'aggressive dog in public'. Seriously, you can't win.

• Like 2

I had a large Lab drag it's owner to me and Jonah on Thursday and it didn't look particularly friendly. I managed to get my leg between it the car and Jonah and grabbed it's leash in my left hand to pull it away.
Of course I got the "he is friendly nonsense" and I went off telling him he was an idiot and he has no idea of my dogs history. Also mentioned that if he can't control his dog he shouldn't be in public with it.
He scuttled off without a word and every time it caught a glimpse of Jonah it was growling and barking so not so friendly. Jonah was actually unperturbed by the whole thing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, huga said:

I've done the 'Mine's not!' thing before and got a mouthful for having my 'aggressive dog in public'. Seriously, you can't win.

Its a tough one isn't it. We basically stuck to "mines not" and took the occasional abuse that came with it. Plus side was for the majority of the time weve lived in NZ we only walked in on leash ares do if we encountered any problems we were in the right. 

This issue just shits me to no end. Absolutely number one pet hate!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, karen15 said:

For my old dog, no one got the yellow ribbon etc, so I made him "disabled" plates that hung either side like a backpack. That certainly got attention but imbeciles still thought the vet waiting room was a dog social club and gee would I be rude and blunt to them.

samdisabledplates_zpsb0eb4577.jpg

The vets bring a whole another topic of stupidity.

it amazes me how many people whilst at the vets seem to think it's a dog Zoo or animal zoo.

More frustrating are the clinics whose receptionists don't speak up when it's obvious stupidity is happening 

• Like 3

When one of mine was in the last few weeks of life with bone cancer she was at the vet every 3 days for pain management.

The number of selfish morons who thought they had a right to shove their ill behaved mutts in her face was a disgrace. Even when I told them anyone knocking her would cause her great pain, that she dying, they still said 'oh just let him say hello, he wants to'. I physically had to push a couple away, but it was the owners I wanted to kick. 

• Like 2