Training the couriers

My dogs run around and bark at strangers, including couriers. The courier companies ask....demand?.... of  me to take care of this. Some couriers are very scared of dogs, justifiably or not. I live on 2 Ha with 3 dogs. I have had packages dropped into the bush at the gate and one left on top of the gate-post.

I have repeatedly talked to the companies of putting in place a system of giving reasonable warning of the arrival of a package, so I can restrain my dogs. I will do that, for a morning, or a couple of hours, NOT all day and obviously not for a fortnight or whatever.

I have had argument, and  ignorance from the companies. But only once compliance with my request, as a once-off.

How do we wake these people up?! I work on training my dogs, but that is going to take  months if not years. They are all rescues with their own brand of breed and of fashion

I buy from Amazon and _they_ know if my package has been delivered, So let this driver let me know a date, afternoon, and pref a2-3 span for delivery of O/no

Does anyone come up against this, either in OZ or elsewhere? Can we work on the companies to make it a 2-way communication?

Interested.

Nick

Honestly? I have internal fences to keep my dogs away from the front fence. Access to the front fence would make my dogs vulnerable to people harassing them or throwing baits over the fence. I also don’t want them developing the anxieties and bad habits they’d get from fence running.

My neighbours across the road let their dogs run and bark along their front fence. When those neighbours had an emergency I didn’t know to go to their aid, because their dogs’ barking was just a routine occurrence.

• Like 3

our letterbox is a big'n we made it from a single drawer file cabinet, put a peaked roof on it (so it looks like a little house) and stood it on four legs at just the right height for the postie to deliver parcels and letters from her driver's side window. Cheap and easy to make and works a treat.

Maybe make something similar for the courier drivers

• Like 7

You won’t win anything as it’s not a battle ..

The couriers don’t work on your schedule or what makes life easy for you .

You need to create a solution when you block off access to your front door .

Its your role to offer a safe solution .

• Like 6

Agree with the above - unfortunately a courier company is not going to change their business model for one customer (or even several).

There are so many logistical issues with a company providing a window and or calling in advance.  Everything from driver/vehicle emergency impacting schedules to having to build a method for driver or customer to get in touch with you.   I have worked 'on the other side' and it is not as simple as it sounds - in fact, unless it is designed at start up it is pretty much a nightmare.  

Imagine them saying they will deliver in the AM, and a driver calls in sick, or there is an accident/breakdown or whatever - the company is flat out changing schedules and covering the issue.  The delivery then comes at 1pm and the customer goes off because '1pm is not the morning'.

I have been on a couple of acres, and my dogs never had access to the whole space unless I was out with them.  Safer for them and for everyone else.  The dogs 2 doors down did - and oh, wasn't it fun (NOT) riding past and having 3 dogs hit the fence barking etc.   The owners finally did something after a kid come off their horse and they were sued as the dogs were deemed 'uncontrollable' - yep, even on their own property they caused an impact to others and the court found in favour of the injured party.

I love the idea of the drop point - takes the stress away from everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 13/05/2021 at 4:49 AM, DogsAndTheMob said:

Honestly? I have internal fences to keep my dogs away from the front fence. Access to the front fence would make my dogs vulnerable to people harassing them or throwing baits over the fence. I also don’t want them developing the anxieties and bad habits they’d get from fence running.

My neighbours across the road let their dogs run and bark along their front fence. When those neighbours had an emergency I didn’t know to go to their aid, because their dogs’ barking was just a routine occurrence.

OK. I fully believe that the magic benefit of have 2HA is that the guys have freedom. Restrictive fencing is NOT the answer, or if it is, the whole pointof 2 HA  is lost. I have  fence electric barrier and wit 2 HA  the dogs still have a massive room to move.

Seriously, if you are that paranoid about people throwing stuff and baiting your dogs, you have a problem.

Go and talk to your neighbours and try to make friends with their dogs and do not live in fear.

I am talking rescues with severe fear and what? Judgment and lectures?

Christ! For 99.9% of the time the freedom/ fence thing works! The dogs have freedom. I have freedom. All is good. The dogs have exercise. I spend ebery day with my dogs. I am really concerned about the couriers, but it , yeah it does stress me as well.

Frick the internal fences: that is what I am up here for; freedom for me and my guys.

I have as was said given up on changing stupid policy and will try to educated our regular delivery guy

• Haha 1

If you couldn't be bothered putting a drop box at your front gate then, maybe stop buying things that need to be brought out by courier.  If I were a delivery person, then no way would I walk/drive into a paddock where dogs are running around uncontrolled.  How does the meter reader get on?

• Like 4

11 hours ago, REALOldNick said:

Seriously, if you are that paranoid about people throwing stuff and baiting your dogs, you have a problem.

No, some folks live in suburbs where dogs do get very ill or die because baits are thrown over fences/left on walking trails  . Warnings  about poisoned meat etc being found are  mentioned on this forum often enough  :(

5 minutes ago, persephone said:

No, some folks live in suburbs where dogs do get very ill or die because baits are thrown over fences/left on walking trails  . Warnings  about poisoned meat etc being found are  mentioned on this forum often enough  :(

This is true. I'm in Sydney and for a while our parks (which are vital & constantly used because the yards are smaller) were littered with baits. Some people are messed up. 

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, REALOldNick said:

OK. I fully believe that the magic benefit of have 2HA is that the guys have freedom. Restrictive fencing is NOT the answer, or if it is, the whole pointof 2 HA  is lost. I have  fence electric barrier and wit 2 HA  the dogs still have a massive room to move.

Go and talk to your neighbours and try to make friends with their dogs and do not live in fear.

I am talking rescues with severe fear and what? Judgment and lectures?

How about you take a step back and actually read what people have written. 

You can't train companies. They don't need or want to know about your 'freedom'. 

Get a camera or farm gate buzzer and stop harassing courier staff. 

edited

Edited by Powerlegs
  • Like 6

I live on 200 acres & I don't let my dogs free roam.  I have an acre fenced off around the house with the entry to the door fenced off from the dogs.  Not hard to do.  I also have a courier company in my family & believe me, what you are suggesting is impossible.  If you don;t believe me then get yourself a job as a delivery person for a week & see how you tackle with dogs hassling you when you try to get to the front doors.

• Like 4

The couriers don't want to take chances with dogs they don't know, and they shouldn't have to. It's dangerous. Lots of dogs would bite a courier if they got the chance. We moved into a place with an enclosed balcony as an entrance, and I love it and the couriers love it. We put a bell on the outer door so they don't need to come in and the balcony acts as an airlock.  Most of the time, packages are quietly left on the balcony and the dogs never even know. The dogs stay inside and if they happened to get out as I came out, the courier is safe behind a second door. We don't have any of the problems of missed packages we had at our old place where the dogs had access to the front door where the courier would knock. I always put my dogs behind a baby gate before I answered the door when we lived there, but the couriers don't know that. If they have had some bad experiences (and they most likely have), they can become very risk averse and who would blame them. Be kind to your couriers and provide a dog-free zone where they can leave packages or clang a gong to alert you or something. It's not on them to solve this problem for you. You solve the problem for them. 

• Like 5

They must be terrified of anything on the other side of a gate, my driveway is 250 m from the road so they just dump anything either in the letterbox if it will fit, or beneath it. although one, was even worse, would send me a txt that I did not answer and parcel was on its way back to the warehouse?  as I was home and the phone definately had not rang i immediately called the number on the txt to be told the same story, this went on for 6 weeks and 4 so called non deliveries and texts to that effect. by then I said I will come to the warehouse and pick it up.  THEN to be told, I cant, they dont know where it is?

yet it was according to the txt message with the courier on its way back to the warehouse????????????????

they were called Fastway, put a comment on their internet page better name for them would be snailway.

im told its been sold, no idea if the services is just as bad.  did finally get it. but had to pick up at the warehouse, it was never going to arrive at my place

do wonder why all of the courier companies refuse to leave at your local post office, even if you have a PO box?

decided to take a look at the reviews for my non favourite company. Well nothing seems to have improved

gee this is on the actual page with all the links to their reviews so no way can miss this, why do companys keep sending stuff via them?

"Fastway are the worst company I've ever had to deal with. They have no phone numbers listed and Im guessing that's so they wouldn't be in the phone all day listening to people complain about their bad service. ... Very bad customer service. I want to cry when I need to order and Fastway are the courier company.”  "

on the actual reviews this ones the most recent.

6 days agoNEW
Got an email this morning with the classic "We're unable to deliver your parcel because no one was home" excuse. My partner and I were both in and the door was open.

Been asked to go to a pharmacy and collect it but I have to bring a calling card - problem is, the driver was too lazy to even attempt to deliver my parcel so I don't have a calling card.

Phoned customer services to ask what to do in this situation. I gave the tracking number and was told they couldn't find my parcel and I needed to contact the seller. I asked to speak to a manager and the customer service rep just stopped talking and ignored me. It was incredible. Aramex Sydney, you're a delivery company. You only have one job to do and that's to deliver parcels and you can't even do that properly."

"Ricky Pann

Despite my parcel being clearly marked with delivery instructions, the driver left my parcel on the busy street outside an abandoned shop doorway two doors down on the footpath. I spent two hours of my busy day chasing up the consignment tracking and have had no satisfaction. Never use this company, they are pathetic. They sent me a photo of the delivery taken by the driver and it wasn’t my address. Of course the package was stolen as I was not notified. Avoid this company at all costs or it will cost."

Edited by asal
  • Confused 1

AS for Australia's Fed Ex.........................................

go pick up from their ware house if the sender uses them.  

no way they want to hand deliver.

In the case of my daughters wedding present, do you want to risk a 2,500 dollar gift left in the grass beside your letter box?

they refused to leave at post office and refused to give me a time to meet them beside my letter box.

and no it is against company policy to bring to your door, its against company policy to phone you on your contact number to advise when the courier has arrived at your address. They prefer you to authorise the parcel being left in or beside your letter box............NO KIDDING!

Was interesting at the warehouse pickup counter, wonder how fast the staff turnover is.

having to deal with so many furious customers must be a horribly stressful job.

most of the men in the waiting line wanted to punch out the hapless staff on the other side of the counter.

• Sad 1