Buying an older dog

Valmae

Dear Breeders, I have often attempted to buy an older dog on this site and have been spoken to rudely or ignored. It seems discussion about the cost is offensive to some breeders. Is it possible for all breeders to include the cost in the advertisement as well as whether you mind or don’t mind your dog being transported. Also quite often there are no photos. How do we make an informed selection with all this information missing. That is not fair and very one sided. Do you really want to sell your dog and must you make us jump through hoops to satisfy you that we also love dogs and treat them like family members. 
Thank you 

449F7477-F5D6-4E3B-BB93-DD7CC3183B9F.jpeg

We never put photos up,we dont put the cost up & we ask all people to contact us & discuss whether the dog in question is a suitable fit for the home .

Do you really want to sell your dog  This line would send red flags off for us & most likely say No .We dont just sell to appease the person enquiring .Its a living animal not a rock.
Yes you do have to satisfy the breeder you are the right person & i would be alarmed at any that didnt ask questions & just wants to offload the dog .
I have no idea if your a dog lover or how much knowledge you have on the breed .You could be a exporter,pet shop supplier ,dog fight ring animal buyer ,you could be a hoarder  or someone who thinks its a right to just own a dog & it lives outside 24/7.
We get plenty of people wanting our breed who say they have researched but have no idea they need hair cuts 6/8 weeks & its a life long expense  to add to the yearly budget,
As consumer law has it a breeder is selling a product & we have to make sure the buyer is the right fit ,fully aware etc etc .
Over the years i have had plenty of fruitloops contact us for dogs ,our job is to make sure that special dog is going to a special home .

Mind you over the years of advertising older dogs except for photos we have  clearly outlined the best home fit,requirements & that if your home doesnt fit this is not the right dog for you & we still get people who contact us so either dont read the ad,dont care what is in the ad just want the dog .We have even mentioned no shipping & had every Tom ,Dick & Harry East contact us .

I would never buy a dog without having a good chat to the person anyway i want to be asked questions & i want to ask questions ,i want the dog to go to its right home first off not be a circle of life of wrong homes .

Photos are being used to often by scammers stealing them for websites & using in ads 

Edited by Dogsfevr
  • Like 8

Dogs can be expensive and the price is not normally something you negotiate. Are you asking for the price, or trying to negotiate? 

I can’t help but ask if you managed to find a cheaper, older, Cav when you asked way back in 2017? The dog you’ve put on your pic now is different to the Cav x you had back then, so I figure you settled for a different breed? 

If you really want another companion, you’ll find one. Good luck. :)

• Like 4

I give prospective owners the third degree.   As Dogsfevr says: we are dealing with a living animal not a rock.   In fact I have been known to pass judgement on people saying that I wouldn't home a pet rock to them.  

Edited to clarify LOL - not to their faces.  

Edited by Loving my Oldies
  • Like 2

Valmae the problem is people lie and they lie with conviction. You can blame them for breeders who actually care about where their pups and older dogs go for putting prospective new owners through the ringer. As living creatures they are not like other items we shop for where you see something you like, discuss the price and say yes or no. The breeder/owner of that 'item' gets the final say on price and who can buy it. If you find a breeder negotiating the price quickly to suit you and saying pick whichever one you want, yes we will send the dog anywhere at your expense then they are either a backyard breeder, puppy farmer or a scammer. All three are to be avoided.

Remember the breeder already has a relationship with this dog and they know what type of family and lifestyle it needs. It's not about the money but finding a good match. If your frustrations make you combative then they will quickly move on to someone who isn't. They want it to be a positive experience too - they are giving up and animal they know and love.

• Like 2

I understand both sides of the discussion completely.   I think the disconnect is that often people are coming from different (both correct, but different) sides of the coin.

Pictures:

Prospective buyer  - what we see and how we are attracted to the visual is a fact of life (even if just at the planning stage). People want/like/are drawn to whether something appeals to them.  It doesn't mean it is the only determining factor and makes someone 'shallow' or uncaring - the fact is that for many people pictures tell a story (after all, how many times do DOLers have someone come in asking for advice on a puppy issue and the response is 'I suggest XYZ - and pls post pics we would love to see your little one).  

Seller - two issues.  (a) scammers can (and do) take photos and use them and (b) some people will get stuck on the visual and it causes friction when they focus on dog X when the dog/home mix isn't right

Price:

Prospective buyer -  they are the ones spending the $$$.  If several/all adds included the price they would know a ball park figure without having to contract/chat.   Other adds (including animals) usually come with the price advertised.  So, why the 'secret squirrel'? Is it a power game? Is it elitist? Does it become all too hard?  These are questions which come to peoples minds.  Dogs are expensive, and the purchase price is a consideration for many people.   And if I end up buying the pup I am going to be paying for it - why not state it up front

Seller - This dog/pup is a living breathing critter and it has so much more to offer than a price tag.  I want to know the person first.  And, I don't want to put up with the 'you said $4000 in your ad, I will give you $3500'

Difficulty/number of contacts

Prospective buyer - I don't want to jump through hoops, and wait 10 days for a response.  I also have a life, and kids, and responsibilities etc, so 'the breeder is busy' does sound condescending.   If the 'norm' is to contact 10 people to get 2 responses, one is a 'the dog has gone' and the other is 'please tell me more about yourself', then that just seems weird.  These people have possibly just lost their 15 year old dog etc and last time they did this it was a case of looking in Saturdays paper and making a few calls.  So the messages I leave/emails I send are probably too brief and come across as 'transactional' so go to the bottom of a pile.  But I don't know the 'rules' of making a good first impression

Seller - I have a life, and kids, and responsibilities - so I am busy.   And I get so many numpty/dodgy sounding/one liner/incompatible contacts that I just can't keep up.

I don't think there is a silver bullet.   Perhaps as much information as possible in the ad about the dog/pup.   What sort of home is best, whether he/she is big, small or right on size to the standard, temperament, whether suited to dog sports, energy levels as possible.  And a standard response (either back via text or email)  thanks for reaching out.  I have received a number of enquiries, and will be coming back to you in a few days.   That gives the seller some time to make a decision and either contact for a conversation or go back with 'sorry, Fluffy is not available because (insert reason here)'.   I think silence and non responding is a tad rude, from both sides.

One final thought.   If breeders of pedigreed (and well bred and raised) pups/dogs want Joe Public to buy them (and not from 'Fred down the road' or a puppy farm), then it is important to understand the thought process and perceptions of Joe Public.  I don't mean compromise your values or the way you look out for the best interests of your dog/pup.  But being sympathetic to different approaches and questions is helpful

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, BDJ said:

I understand both sides of the discussion completely.   I think the disconnect is that often people are coming from different (both correct, but different) sides of the coin.

Pictures:

Prospective buyer  - what we see and how we are attracted to the visual is a fact of life (even if just at the planning stage). People want/like/are drawn to whether something appeals to them.  It doesn't mean it is the only determining factor and makes someone 'shallow' or uncaring - the fact is that for many people pictures tell a story (after all, how many times do DOLers have someone come in asking for advice on a puppy issue and the response is 'I suggest XYZ - and pls post pics we would love to see your little one).  

Seller - two issues.  (a) scammers can (and do) take photos and use them and (b) some people will get stuck on the visual and it causes friction when they focus on dog X when the dog/home mix isn't right

Price:

Prospective buyer -  they are the ones spending the $$$.  If several/all adds included the price they would know a ball park figure without having to contract/chat.   Other adds (including animals) usually come with the price advertised.  So, why the 'secret squirrel'? Is it a power game? Is it elitist? Does it become all too hard?  These are questions which come to peoples minds.  Dogs are expensive, and the purchase price is a consideration for many people.   And if I end up buying the pup I am going to be paying for it - why not state it up front

Seller - This dog/pup is a living breathing critter and it has so much more to offer than a price tag.  I want to know the person first.  And, I don't want to put up with the 'you said $4000 in your ad, I will give you $3500'

Difficulty/number of contacts

Prospective buyer - I don't want to jump through hoops, and wait 10 days for a response.  I also have a life, and kids, and responsibilities etc, so 'the breeder is busy' does sound condescending.   If the 'norm' is to contact 10 people to get 2 responses, one is a 'the dog has gone' and the other is 'please tell me more about yourself', then that just seems weird.  These people have possibly just lost their 15 year old dog etc and last time they did this it was a case of looking in Saturdays paper and making a few calls.  So the messages I leave/emails I send are probably too brief and come across as 'transactional' so go to the bottom of a pile.  But I don't know the 'rules' of making a good first impression

Seller - I have a life, and kids, and responsibilities - so I am busy.   And I get so many numpty/dodgy sounding/one liner/incompatible contacts that I just can't keep up.

I don't think there is a silver bullet.   Perhaps as much information as possible in the ad about the dog/pup.   What sort of home is best, whether he/she is big, small or right on size to the standard, temperament, whether suited to dog sports, energy levels as possible.  And a standard response (either back via text or email)  thanks for reaching out.  I have received a number of enquiries, and will be coming back to you in a few days.   That gives the seller some time to make a decision and either contact for a conversation or go back with 'sorry, Fluffy is not available because (insert reason here)'.   I think silence and non responding is a tad rude, from both sides.

One final thought.   If breeders of pedigreed (and well bred and raised) pups/dogs want Joe Public to buy them (and not from 'Fred down the road' or a puppy farm), then it is important to understand the thought process and perceptions of Joe Public.  I don't mean compromise your values or the way you look out for the best interests of your dog/pup.  But being sympathetic to different approaches and questions is helpful

Beautifully put thank you.

I completely see the experience the writer is describing.

I have rehomed three older retired breeding females on this site. I always put a photo, a full description (age, weight, nature, current living arrangements, desexed) AND price. 

I don't expect somebody to grovel to me with their whole life story before I disclose information to them. 

Once a prospective purchaser has this information then they can phone me and we go from there. I then ask lots of questions and in all instances my girls have found wonderful homes with people who still keep in touch.

Honestly, if anybody wanted to steal a photo they only have to go on Gumtree where there are currently over 7000 ads for dogs.

• Like 3

Top response from BDJ , its definetly a two edged sword ,  but  asking price and  pics  , ESPECIELLY for an older dog is not unreasonable ,, i recently enquired about a older rotty ,, ,

i too was given the speil about its  been my favorite its a  beutiful dog its part of the familly  it will only go to a top home ,  even asked me for pics of my garden ,  all of which i fully understand ,, in the end i actually said to the lady are you sure you want to sell her   you seem very attached ,  she assured me she was .

So after i listened to the sell i was interested in 2 main things , date of birth  of dog turns out it was 12 months older than advertized  not a biggie if its a small dog but were talking a rotty here   advertize has 5 , but actually 6 years old , thats not a lot of life left  and the price when we got around to it was $2500  you can buy a pup for that

My next and most important question  and i did   say if i purchase the dog  ,  it was very important , IS the dog house trained ,, answer was NO  it usually lives in the kennels ,,  so much for it being brought up in a familly  suppose what she meant was we let it out to play and the kids feed it , regardles it had not been brought up in the familly home  if it was'nt house trained

So whilst i can really understand breeders wanting only the best for there dogs ,   to me  i just don't think this lady did ,  her most important thing was she gets the price she wanted ,   she did actually say in the ad , anyone asking price first don't bother . .      the conversation was.nt too deep  i made my mind up has soon has she said $2500 for an older dog , but honestly   if i had a dog  i needed to rehome , and that dog  had too go for whatever reason , if i could find a home such has mine , an experienced owner with the means to look after it ,  someone who's dogs have always lived a LONG healthy LIFE , someone who can show me they live  virtually on top of a dog beach and whats more use it everyday , someone who the dog will be with 24/7 ,, then i think i'd pay them too take it , ( tongue in cheek  ) putting obstacles in the way by refusing pics and questions would be the last thing i do .

However it really is a two edged sword  , BDJ  got the correct   responding post

Edited by coneye
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Valmae said:

Dear Breeders, I have often attempted to buy an older dog on this site and have been spoken to rudely or ignored. It seems discussion about the cost is offensive to some breeders. Is it possible for all breeders to include the cost in the advertisement as well as whether you mind or don’t mind your dog being transported. Also quite often there are no photos. How do we make an informed selection with all this information missing. That is not fair and very one sided. Do you really want to sell your dog and must you make us jump through hoops to satisfy you that we also love dogs and treat them like family members. 
Thank you 

449F7477-F5D6-4E3B-BB93-DD7CC3183B9F.jpeg

Errmmm , what you doing with my dog :laugh:  shown my wife this pic  , she said   who took that one , we even have a black recliner , :laugh:   wife said see everyone has a double , that lady has a husband  with his feet up and a  identical dog lay next to him  lol

4 hours ago, Luvapoo said:

Honestly, if anybody wanted to steal a photo they only have to go on Gumtree where there are currently over 7000 ads for dogs.

Sadly a number of those ads are stolen photos & breeders have been involved & accused of being dodgy as people have noted ads with different prices or sellers  but same photo on there website,ad etc.
Its a sad state of affairs when good people have to deal with the dishonest 

Edited by Dogsfevr

On 16/11/2022 at 8:39 AM, BDJ said:

I actually don’t get this. How does stating the price up front take away a breeder’s ability to get to know a prospective buyer? And the buyer can try to negotiate at any stage. At least stating the price in the ad removes unnecessary contact and wasting of time by those who will not be able to afford the price.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Odin-Genie said:

I actually don’t get this. How does stating the price up front take away a breeder’s ability to get to know a prospective buyer? And the buyer can try to negotiate at any stage. At least stating the price in the ad removes unnecessary contact and wasting of time by those who will not be able to afford the price.

I imagine the statement was because sellers get it all the time.  Even rescue organisations get it when they might have expended thousands getting the dog well. 

5 hours ago, Odin-Genie said:

I was referencing statements I have heard and seen from breeders as reasons they dont include prices in their ads or respond/view favourably enquiries where the price is asked for early.

We’ve had similar experience a couple of months ago, after losing Rascal recently we decided to start looking for a chihuahua as we had promised my younger daughter we could get a second chi, I found what I thought was the perfect boy on here, not a young pup but not too old and appeared to be a good match for our family and lifestyle, the only contact for the breeder was email so I sent a detailed email with details of our family, other dogs and what this dogs day to day life would look like if we were able to adopt him, I also asked a few questions about the dog that the breeder hadn’t put in the add, a week went by and no response so I sent a second email just to check if they’d received the first one and still got nothing and the dog was still advertised, in the end we gave up, it left me feeling quite upset and angry, we did however end up getting a 4 month old chi pup from a local breeder and a malt x shihtzu pup from one of my customers so I guess it was a happy ending however I don’t think I’ll go to that much trouble in the future as it’s not the first time it’s happened so I completely understand where the OP is coming from.

• Like 1

My frustrations , when i was looking for a dog a few months ago  , was simply i was looking for an older dog ,  i was very breed specific i knew what i wanted ,, To be honest HOW MUCH  was never ever going to be my first question , because it does'nt matter sooner or later we come to the price , and just has  breeders are not scared of telling me why there dog is worth that much i'm not scared to say sorry ,  sell him to someone else , its too much .

My biggest problem was  finding   a dog that was  brought up in the familly enviroment in the home just about everyone i spoke to claimed ,, I based  the fact that when i pushed and reiterated it MUST BE HOUSE TRAINED m or i will bring it back ,  it usually came out that the dog was'nt house trained it lived / slept in the kennells ,,  also   what i had a problem with was paying a few thousand for a 5 year old dog that  came from a breed that don't usually live past  8-9 years anyway ,  so  it was only likely to ever be a dog for a couple of years that we could enjoy before the vet bills started coming in  .

Its a really really hard subject because BOTH sides are right ,    there are  a lot of people who just tell breeders what they want to hear , and are good at it ,,, but theres just has many breeders who do the same ,  that  tell , lies about the dogs upbringing  ect ect . , Suppose the best way is to go to the local dog shows , kennel club meetings  , spot the breed you want and get to know  the breeders and ask there advice ,,

But then again good lucjk with that one , i tried doing that and came away even more flustered , the  back stabbing and bitchieness  was  unbelievable ,  LOL  it was actually quite funny    but if your sensible you will get past that and learn a lot

It isn't easy trying to find the right match, whether you're looking for a dog or looking to re-home a dog.  I think outcomes depend on how we approach people in the first place.  I recently lost my Chi mix to a tumor and as much as I'd love another dog, I'm not going to rush into anything.  The right dog will come along.  I think it's probably the same for a breeder wanting to re-home a dog: the right home will come along.  Just take a breath, think about why you want to give a dog a home, and determine if your home is likely to suit the preferred breed/type of dog you're looking for.  Best of luck!