WHAT DOG

coneye

Ok just a question for people ,  What dog do you really like the look of   or desires the traits and temprements  of   that breed but do not and possiblly will not own for whatever reason , be it too big ,  to energetic , or too furry  . I will start off ,

I really like  the AKITA  , but  will never ever own one , the  fur and grooming would drive me nuts , ,  close second is the Giant Schnauzer  , but once again the grooming  puts me off, and the wife says a definete NEVER  ,    we had a long haired shepard for  nee on 18 years , and he drove her mad with bags of fur left everywhere LOL

• Like 2

These days, Thai Ridgeback and Kangal.

Kangals are out of the question at my age, have way too much hair and neither breed at all suited to the environment I could provide. Way too risky!

There have been so many other breeds I have liked at various stages though, from Lakeland Terriers to Akitas  Airerdales and  Giant Schnauzer or Black Russian terriers.

I've always owned medium or large sized dogs (mainly staffords and pei). When I get older I'd love a Frenchie, Boston or smooth haired terrier of some type. I like a dog with a bit of sass. The only reason I have avoided smaller breeds is a fear of not seeing them and tripping over them, as that has happened to me with puppies and I've had serious injuries requiring multiple surgeries to repair.

My dream breed many moons ago was an Old English Sheepdog. I had one girl so far and she was a cracker, but strength wise I'm avoiding larger breeds as I age and have less strength. We recently fostered a lab pei cross and he had the best of both breeds (we really loved him) but was far too much dog for me to handle now I've gotten older.

• Like 1

Otterhound or Barbet neither available in Australia and Irish wolfhound or Deehound except too many health problems and very short life spans.

So I am stuck with a Giant Schnauzers and a Black Russian Terrier instead.

• Like 1

I love mini schnauzers all the way, but I’ve always wanted an Australian terrier since I was a kid. I like the looks of the Scottish terrier too. Just met one recently, it lives nearby. Molly and I just love her. Personally I’d never own a large breed, too much for me to handle. 

• Like 1

One day I'd love to have a Pointer again, absolutely divine breed.

And I'm fascinated by Scottish Terriers after rescuing one (dear old girl had to go to the bridge because of liver cancer). 

Silkies and Yorkies, always. :heart: 

• Like 1

I’ve tried hard to find a smaller dog I’d want to own to make the practicalities easier as I get older, but there isn’t one. I really only want to own Borzoi, which I have had for decades, and Belgian Shepherds, which I used to own but don’t have the lifestyle for these days. So I guess once I age out of those breeds I’m done with dogs. 

• Sad 1

Be like one of my dog walking friends.  When she was younger she always had deerhounds.  She was in her 80's when she got another one.

He absolutely dwarfed her but they made a great pair Peggy & Hector.

• Like 2

My dream dog is prob a well bred bull mastiff or another dobe but I will never have either now, by the time this pack has lived their lives we will be in our mid possibly late 50’s, we both do physical jobs and our bodies are starting to feel it, I’m also not a very big person so unfortunately their size/strength is no longer something I feel comfortable dealing with.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Diva said:

I’ve tried hard to find a smaller dog I’d want to own to make the practicalities easier as I get older, but there isn’t one. I really only want to own Borzoi, which I have had for decades, and Belgian Shepherds, which I used to own but don’t have the lifestyle for these days. So I guess once I age out of those breeds I’m done with dogs. 

PSA people who say this end up being chosen by a Chihuahua. You don’t get a say in the matter, they just decide you’re their person. Having a Belgian or GSD increases the likelihood.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Papillon Kisses said:

I love Kelpies and Border Collies but am unsure if I’d have one. I can meet mental enrichment needs but am unsure on the space and movement front, and they are so big!

Kelpies are amazing companions for chi’s and a small female kelpie isn’t that big, my girl is only 16kg.

31C1C7C0-EE4F-4640-B9DC-B16B746A3B42.png

BFEF254C-820C-4B29-8424-44DD4995CDAE.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Papillon Kisses said:

PSA people who say this end up being chosen by a Chihuahua. You don’t get a say in the matter, they just decide you’re their person. Having a Belgian or GSD increases the likelihood.

That’s a scary prophecy, :laugh:

I once minded a Chi for a weekend. Too much dog for me! 

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, Diva said:

That’s a scary prophecy, :laugh:

I once minded a Chi for a weekend. Too much dog for me! 

There was a time in our lives when a friend of my sister's came to stay with us with a teensy black chi named Tyson. We had a husky/shep cross and a crazy stafford. We'd go down this big park where the dogs could just run and rumble without issue and that chi was always right in the middle of things. It shocked me how it survived some of those outings.

Edited by Little Gifts
  • Haha 4

Once, in a previous life, a client at the vets where I worked had THE most wonderful little chi - who was a long haired black & white & looked liked a mini border collie :) he was one of the nicest , most even tempered of dogs - and was sturdy and with none of the bulbous head/bug eye traits . I had many plans to kidnap him ;) 

• Like 5