My Beautiful Millie

Kirty

Last night was the worst night of my life. Earlier this year I rescued a British x Burmese girl from the RSPCA. As soon as I saw her, I had this feeling she was meant to be mine. I loved her from the first second and it just felt like she should be with me. But our circumstances meant no matter what I felt, I couldn't keep her. So I had to find her a forever home. I thought I had found her the perfect home. I can't believe how wrong I was. I asked so many questions and told them just how special she was. I told them if they ever couldn't keep her, for whatever reason, I would take her back. Just days after her adoption - where her new owner promised she would be spoilt forever and be an indoor-only cat - I found out that they had no intention of keeping her inside. After numerous calls and emails, I told them I would take her back. They didn't want that and eventually stopped returning my emails. I decided not to transfer the microchip so that if she ever got out, I could get her back.

Tonight changed all of that. Somehow the RSPCA stuffed up the microchip form so her original owners (the ones who dumped her at the RSPCA) were still the first contact, but my mum was the second contact. At about 9pm tonight she got a call saying Millie was at the emergency vet - she had been hit by a car. Mum rang me at work and I rang the clinic straight back. After explaining the situation, I was told I had no right to decide what happened to Millie because she wasn't legally mine. They refused to treat her until I had the "owner's" permission, even though I told them I would pay for her treatment. Thankfully I still had her new "owners" details so I called them and told them to call the clinic and tell them that they were surrendering her to me. It was then I found out that not only had they let Millie outside, they had rehomed her two months previously.

The "owner" called the clinic and finally I was told the extent of her injuries. I told them I would be there as soon as I could. It was the longest drive ever - I could hardly see through the tears and I was shaking all over. I felt like I was going to be sick. Finally I reached the clinic where my wonderful partner was waiting for me. Together, we were led to her crib. What I saw will haunt me forever. Her beautiful, sweet face was a mess. One eye was gone and the other was so damaged she would likely never see again. Her jaw and skull were fractured in multiple places. Her delicate little feet were shredded from the bitumen. The vet told me she would need numerous operations and even then they couldn't guarantee her any quality of life. I made the hardest decision of my life and asked them to put her out of her misery. I stroked her gorgeous plush coat and told her how much I loved her as she peacefully slipped away.

I am absolutely devastated. She was the most beautiful, most special cat. I just know she should have been with me. I can't believe this has happened and she is gone. I tried to do the right thing but I failed her. She deserved so much better than this. I hope she knows I was there. I hope she heard me telling her how sorry I was. I hope she knows that I will love her forever and think of her every day. I can't believe this is happening. I want this to all be a dream. Why didn't he keep her indoors? Why didn't he ask me to take her back - I would have in a heart beat. She was meant to be mine. I can't stop crying. I can't stop shaking. I feel physically sick. I am so sorry Millie. I'm so sorry.

DSC015491.jpg

DSC015781.jpg

DSC01571.jpg

Edited by Kirty

:laugh: :cool: :rofl::( :p :rofl::eek::):mad

I have no doubt you thought you'd found her the perfect home... yet sometimes it just goes wrong...

Kirty big hugs - I'm sure she knew you were there at the end. You were there for her at the end - and that's actually the greatest gift of all you could have given her - and I'm sure she loves you for it.

Westiemum :mad

:laugh: :cool: Oh, I just can't stop crying after reading your post and seeing those beautiful pictures, yes, she does look so special.

We can't see through people, we can only go on what they want us to see.

Keep looking at her happy pictures Kirty, you want those to be the one's in your heart when you think of Millie.

The stupid new owners let you and Millie down so badly - I don't know a rescuer who hasn't been heartbroken by people.

huge hugs darlin.

fifi, danny & hounds xxxx

Kirsten, I am so very sorry for your pain and loss :(

Please, you mustn't blame yourself. You are human, you did the very best you could and you cannot control what others do :rofl: The breeder of my girls wrote to me a few months ago with a similar story - she vetted the potential owner thoroughly, did the 'inside only' kitten thing....only to receive an email a few months later saying the kitten was bored and wanted to go out and was hit by a car and could she have another one? :p And my breeder MUST be able to judge people pretty well, because she sold ME one of her kittens and entrusted that kitten's mother to me when she was retired to be spoilt for the rest of her days :rofl:

Hugs to you Kirsten - if you want to catch up for a coffee or a walk or a G&T - just give me a call :cool:

Run free Millie with the butterflies in the sun - ask for Willow at the bridge - she will guide you :laugh: