Training Talk Thread

Tiggy

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jules I do think some dogs find the flip easier than others, whether that is their body shape or what they feel more natural doing or how much rear end awareness work they've done or whatever could be a factor too. I think it can sometimes look a bit messy if the dog isn't really fast and snappy.

We are working on building our duration and durability in heelwork too, and perfecting position. I like the look of stylized heelwork but I also want it to look natural and fluid, I'm quite happy with the medium we have at the moment. Funny what things we can obsess over!

JulesP - will talk more today about this....but if a dog can do nice heel work, has good rear end awareness etc would I be completely crazy to enter them in a Novice Rally trial with limited training? There is a Group 3 agility/rally trial coming up and I like to support them as much as possible - it's always a really well run trial, very friendly and good sponsorship. I'll enter Em in novice agility and excellent jumping but I was wondering about Rally.......I've just got so much on at the moment that I'm not sure what chance I'll have to get to training on Sundays.

I would enter and then decide on the day, you will already be there anyway :) Just read through the rules for the signs and if she can do most of those you are good to go :) I will be there with my lot, my first go at Rally too!

Speaking of finishes. Does anyone have a preference for what they train or do you find your dogs prefer one over the other? Daisy was taught to do both but I prefer the flip so Wiz has only been taught a flip finish.

I prefer flips. I've taught both as sometimes they anticipate and I change up which way I want them to go to try and minimize it but not lose the drive :)

Will see you there TO!

Em loves a flip, Zig not so much. She is so agile and rear end awareness comes so much more naturally to her. Some people think it's because I learnt so much with Zig but I still think her soft, flexible body lends itself better than Zig's angular, elegant physique.

Zig's angular, elegant physique
Naaaaww! :laugh: But you're right. We have a Dal bitch down here doing ob and Rally - her name is Prada - and every time I see her, I see her feet clad in those red stilettos :rofl: .

How's everyone going?

Both dogs went well at school today, very pleased with them. Amber continues to be very enthusiastic about training. I took her around a rally course and she is lovely to work with as she is so flexible and bouncy.

Her stand for exam is coming very slowly. She is a nervy little critter and unfortunately got sick whilst I was originally teaching it to her and all the vet poking and prodings she had have made her quite wary about people touching her. She is never going to like it but I am aiming for tolerance.

Playing around with Naughty Nina (NN) doing multiple change of positions in heel position as a lead in to distance control in UDX which she may or may not ever get to.

This exercise is the one the occasionally clever one fails most often so would like to have something in place so that NN doesn't run into the same problems.

Need to do lots more rear end awareness work with the feral one so she can handle a course with lots of left pivots ...and work on persuading her that s call front is not an excuse for her to offer her back up from DWD ...and that a finish ends up at heel, not with her head peeking out from between my legs :-). Did I mention she was feral at the Rally trial on Saturday. ;-).

With the one who can do stuff..back to platform work to try to eliminate the little forward movement in distance control,...and get in with teaching the UD stuff we haven't done .yet.

Oh and then get back to trackng and TSD.

Need to do lots more rear end awareness work with the feral one so she can handle a course with lots of left pivots ...and work on persuading her that s call front is not an excuse for her to offer her back up from DWD ...and that a finish ends up at heel, not with her head peeking out from between my legs :-). Did I mention she was feral at the Rally trial on Saturday. ;-).

With the one who can do stuff..back to platform work to try to eliminate the little forward movement in distance control,...and get in with teaching the UD stuff we haven't done .yet.

Oh and then get back to trackng and TSD.

And in your spare time ....

I look forward to great results from the "no longer feral one" thumbsup1.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Stand was something I delayed teaching Pippa, too. Only took me about 18 months to get around to it laugh.gif

I have a really short attention span so I'll start training something then get distracted and train something else and so on and so on lol.

I have started formalising stays a bit more now and they are coming along nicely too, just need to add some distraction now!

Stays, Pippa asks what that is?! embarrass.gif

She's come a long way in certain aspects, but I have neglected to teach other things laugh.gif Start line stays for agility have somehow morphed into a stand up and shake and then wait to be released. Sigh. Have to work on that one as it is going to bite me in the bum for obedience!! eek1.gif

Stand was something I delayed teaching Pippa, too. Only took me about 18 months to get around to it laugh.gif

I have a really short attention span so I'll start training something then get distracted and train something else and so on and so on lol.

I have started formalising stays a bit more now and they are coming along nicely too, just need to add some distraction now!

Me too! Elsie has soooooo many half taught tricks, the start is fun then I give up!

She does most of a hand stand, half a roll over, not very much of peek-a-boo... I'm useless :laugh:

Amber's stand for exam is coming along. She isn't thrilled about it though. Need to work on her call front as she has such a strong heel position she isn't thrilled about coming to front. I might not have done much of that sort of work when she was a pup actually as she has always had a great recall, so I probably didn't build it up like I would normally have by doing lots of fronts.

Poppy did happy rally work and fun!

Good if they're having fun.

On the call front - and fronts in general. A couple of things - the old sitting in a chair and rewarding the sit in front between your knees helps to encourage them in close. (For retrieves as well).

And platforms are your friend. I get the dog really happy getting on a (low platform) size enough to stand and sit. Then use it to get the dog's muscle memory built up for straight fronts. Then use another platform at the heel position - and voila - you can get the stationary call front for Rally - and nice finish left and right to precise sit at heel. And all in the comfort of the living room :laugh: . Has worked really well for Rory.

(I use the platform for change of position as well - again, training muscle memory.)

My platforms are made of those metre square tough foam camping floor mats - the ones with the interlocking side - you can just cut them to size, then use duct or gaffer tape to tape them securely together.

Warning - the dogs can find the platforms highly addictive :rofl: - especially if they've also used a board to train stopped contacts :rofl: .