Neuter Shows

leopuppy04

Does anyone have any dogs that they bred out there being shown in Neuter by new exhibitors?

Yep, I didn't breed them but someone did.

In Group 7 up here, there are two neuters who started showing when the points came in. Neither owner had been to a show before.

One lady and her son (grandson?) have now titled their neuter, and gone on to buy a puppy from the same breeder and are showing him. The young boy is having a blast, is entering Junior Handlers and is handling for as many people as he can :D

• Replies 858
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes i am a new exhibitor showing a neuter who was neutered due to health reasons. I am now also handling a couple of dogs from the breeders i bought my neuter from and have just purchased an Aust Ch bitch who is now in whelp who I will also show once she has regained her figure. Ill hopefully keep one of her pups, maybe two to show AND Ive just bought a new show pup too. Thats a minimum of 4 on my show team shortly and Ill choose the show with the neuter class any day over a show that does not offer them. I also have a friend who has a neuter pup and several entires. She also travels to shows with her team and seems to choose the shows that offers a class for her neuter when available.

My last 2 shows had 6 in Neuter in Group (Hounds).

I think they are the best idea ever!!!

I do not think that the neuter class is for inferior dogs.

I wrote "it is a stepping stone...." etc etc because it is, for those "pet" people with dogs of a decent quality that have decided they would like to give showing a go, it is a stepping stone for them to see if they like it enough to get an entire show dog.

I don't see any new exhibitors showing yet, they seem to be existing exhibitors most with older titled dogs. :)

(ETA those with non titles dogs are already existing exhibitors)

From Saturday's Ovens valley show.

Toy - 1 x Cav - 16 yrs, not titled. 1 x Tibetan Spaniel Gr Ch titled, 11yrs.

Terrier - NIL

Gundogs - 1 x Novia Scotia - Ch titled, 8yrs.

Hound - NIL

Working - 1 x Sheltie - 2yrs, not titled.

Utility - 2 x Dobermann - Both Ch titled, 6/7yrs. 1 x Rotti Ch titled, 7 yrs.

Non Sporting - 1 x Std Poodle - Ch titled, 3yrs.

Does anyone have any dogs that they bred out there being shown in Neuter by new exhibitors?

Not new, but showing my boy who didn't gain his title before he was desexed.

Like GRD has said, it baffles me how shows in the NT (who would have some of the lowest entries in Australis) can afford to hold neuter classes at every show without fail, and the bigger shows with many hundreds of entries can't/won't. :laugh:

Articles in dog magazines marketted to the dog loving general public (eg Dog's Life) might help to promote this class and garner entries. This is something the ANKC should be working on, rather than only focussing on show/breeding scene mags, where we all (well, mostly all) know it exists.

Just to clear up a misconception about "The ANKC", it is not an all ecompassing organisation that does everything related to the pedigree dog world. It has only 1 full time employee and does not have a marketing department etc. Apart from National media releases released on behalf of and paid for by the member bodies, they do not normally contribute to any articles in the media.

It would be great if we had such a national media department, but getting all the States and Territories to agree not only to the content by also the costs would be very difficult.

Articles in dog magazines marketted to the dog loving general public (eg Dog's Life) might help to promote this class and garner entries. This is something the ANKC should be working on, rather than only focussing on show/breeding scene mags, where we all (well, mostly all) know it exists.

Interesting read for a boring Thursday afternoon.

Coming from having shown, bred and judged horses for 30 years I find the dog world quite bizarre at times.

Why should owning and showing a fantastic neuter be the stepping stone to getting an entire :)

Some people have no interest in breeding but in just exhibiting. Lets face it having entire dogs (or horses) is a pita if you don't breed. I have five of them (entires that is ). I plan on breeding in the future but at the moment it isn't high on my list of priorites.

Surely there is a whole world of people who would love to be out and about showing their fantastic quality 'pets' for fun once or twice a month if given a chance. With declining numbers I don't think we are looking further enough afield.

But ................. congratulations to everyone who has gained their neuter title :rofl: :D

Edited by SnoPaws

Interesting read for a boring Thursday afternoon.

Coming from having shown, bred and judged horses for 30 years I find the dog world quite bizarre at times.

Why should owning and showing a fantastic neuter be the stepping stone to getting an entire :)

Some people have no interest in breeding but in just exhibiting. Lets face it having entire dogs (or horses) is a pita if you don't breed. I have five of them (entires that is ). I plan on breeding in the future but at the moment it isn't high on my list of priorites.

Surely there is a whole world of people who would love to be out and about showing their fantastic quality 'pets' for fun once or twice a month if given a chance. With declining numbers I don't think we are looking further enough afield.

But ................. congratulations to everyone who has gained their neuter title :rofl: :D

Snowpaws the first part is a very good question!

Purely from my point of view, from one who came into showing dogs at a very mature age, (I used to show horses many, MANY moons ago) it seems to me that there are many breeders who will not sell show quality pups to someone out there who has not proven themselves either as reliable, honest or a back yard breeder.

My little girl is very close to her Neuter Title, and although she is already an Australian Champion, at Easter, she will be and Australian Neuter Champion too! What a Bonus!!!! (tongue in cheek) anyone who knows my little girls name will get it! :champagne:

I wrote "it is a stepping stone...." etc etc because it is, for those "pet" people with dogs of a decent quality that have decided they would like to give showing a go, it is a stepping stone for them to see if they like it enough to get an entire show dog.

I don't see any new exhibitors showing yet, they seem to be existing exhibitors most with older titled dogs. :thumbsup:

Terrier - NIL

Hound - NIL

So basically because there has been 1 show in Victoria which happened to be a 3 hour drive from Melbourne since the class started that it is a good indication of what the class will pull? Pretty safe call that all those neuters also had entire show mates entered as well. Those new exhibitors probably didn't know about it or more than likely didn't want to drive so far for a show.......I certainly wouldn't have if I was showing 2 other dogs as well.

I don't see any new exhibitors showing yet, they seem to be existing exhibitors most with older titled dogs. :)

Terrier - NIL

Hound - NIL

So basically because there has been 1 show in Victoria which happened to be a 3 hour drive from Melbourne since the class started that it is a good indication of what the class will pull? Pretty safe call that all those neuters also had entire show mates entered as well. Those new exhibitors probably didn't know about it or more than likely didn't want to drive so far for a show.......I certainly wouldn't have if I was showing 2 other dogs as well.

Actually there were 4 entries in Utility - a Mal got NIG on Sat :laugh:. And my Dobe is 8 1/2 not 7 :mad.

still so inconsistant - the March Gazzette (NSW) had 1/2 doz shows around Sydney with 18s and the April Gazzette has 1.

*sigh*

edited: for more z's

Edited by Meea

Umm did I say that, no, so stop putting words in my mouth.

You said

"it is a stepping stone...." etc etc because it is, for those "pet" people with dogs of a decent quality that have decided they would like to give showing a go,

I put a list up of what was entered, I did not notice any new exhibitor showing neuters.

I then went on to ask

Your getting defensive for no reason.

The question for a club considering offering the class at the moment probably shouldn't be "will it run at a loss?". Chances are it will for a while. Instead the questions should be: "Do we think this class is important for the future of our sport and its future growth?" "Do we as a club have a role in encouraging the growth of this class during this 'growth period'?" and pragmatically "Can we afford it?" or maybe "Can we find a way of affording it?". If clubs believe the answers to those questions are "no" then I guess there is a real question on the legitimacy of the class/title. But if there is critical thinking that it is important .... then surely a short term loss is an acceptable thing?

OVCC decided it was important to offer and we found a way to cover the costs.

As for the costs of the sashes, we had good sashes and they were close to $10 a sash, then there was the prize as well.

Just wanted to point out that clubs need to factor in the other entries they get because they offer the neuter class. I have one neuter who is 8 1/2 and has 11 titles to her name inc Dual CH - she is being exhibited in neuter just to give her an outing and keep her busy - not necessarily for the title though she has 25 points, 2 NBIG & 1 NBIS so far :). But my point was that I entered Ovens Valley because it meant I could take her and I had 4 other entered of my own, another 2 that I exhibit and another 2 entered because I could help their owner. So because of 1 Neuter entry you gained 8 other entries each day you might not have had as we had two shows here within 20 minutes drive that I drove past . . . I think that they more than covered the cost of the neuter sash.

And I will do it again - so the clubs not offering this class need to reconsider this maybe.

Sort of similar to you Bisart Dobes, I took along my Puppy to show because i was already going along to OV to show my older girl in the neuter class. So, the club received 2 entries from me instead of one, and if they had not been holding the neuter class, I would have shown locally that weekend.

I really enjoyed the opportunity to give my old girl (whom was neutered for health reasons) a lovely day out and run around the ring, even though I should have put in some practice on her as she was a bit rusty :(

I plan to enter OV again next year :o , hopefully both days next time.

Actually no I am not, I have no reason to be :o

I was merely pointing out that listing the neuter entries of the first Victorian club to host the neuter class and stating you haven't seen new exhibitors is of no surprise as 1. It is still not widely known about especially in Victoria and 2. It's too far to expect new exhibitors to go for their first show, hence why I would say all neuters also had a few entire entries attached as well.

I would say that OVCC, actually received more entries (and not just the extra 8/9 neuter entries either) for offering the class than if they hadn't as others had already posted that was the reason they went that far.

Actually no I am not, I have no reason to be :(

I was merely pointing out that listing the neuter entries of the first Victorian club to host the neuter class and stating you haven't seen new exhibitors is of no surprise as 1. It is still not widely known about especially in Victoria and 2. It's too far to expect new exhibitors to go for their first show, hence why I would say all neuters also had a few entire entries attached as well.

I would say that OVCC, actually received more entries (and not just the extra 8/9 neuter entries either) for offering the class than if they hadn't as others had already posted that was the reason they went that far.

It does seem OVCC did get more entries then we would have because of the neuter class but the club doesn't know that. ( I will tell them at our meeting on Sunday) and I travelled for well over 3 hours as a brand new exhibitor when Fern was 3 months and 1 day old for our very first show :o

I certainly hope OVCC is not the only all breed club in Vic to ever hold the neuter class!

Edited by Rebanne

I would say that OVCC actually received more entries (and not just the extra 8/9 neuter entries either) for offering the class.

They certainly got our entries because of the Neuter class, we could have shown closer to home but entered OVCC for our neutered girl.

It does seem OVCC did get more entries then we would have because of the neuter class but the club doesn't know that. ( I will tell them at our meeting on Sunday) and I travelled for well over 3 hours as a brand new exhibitor when Fern was 3 months and 1 day old for our very first show :)

I certainly hope OVCC is not the only all breed club in Vic to ever hold the neuter class!

I am curious though now, do you recall how many was entered at last years show?

It does seem OVCC did get more entries then we would have because of the neuter class but the club doesn't know that. ( I will tell them at our meeting on Sunday) and I travelled for well over 3 hours as a brand new exhibitor when Fern was 3 months and 1 day old for our very first show :)

I am curious though now, do you recall how many was entered at last years show?

entries overall were down about 50 each day,last year they had ozentries, this year they did not. Going back over some old catalogues, last weekends entires were in line with others, the ozentry weekend was the odd one out. But I think we will be using ozentries next year, definitly not confirmed at this stage though!

Ahhh got our first show coming up this Friday, and yes I'm a showing novice.. I have had this boy signed over to me snd I thought neuter would be a good way for me to learn more as well as get some hands on expierence in the showring I'm highly nervous but oh so excited.. We have worked so hard

Ahhh got our first show coming up this Friday, and yes I'm a showing novice.. I have had this boy signed over to me snd I thought neuter would be a good way for me to learn more as well as get some hands on expierence in the showring I'm highly nervous but oh so excited.. We have worked so hard

relax and enjoy :(