Update On Banjo From Albury

Steve

Just a reminder about how this started.

Posted on the 7th of May 2010

Once again - Thanks go out to Albury Dog Rescue for their help with trying to find a suitable foster carer for a dog who's owner has had a serious accident.

There has been lots of pressure on this guy to surrender his dog as he is currently quadriplegic after being run over and has lost an ear so life is pretty tough. He is stuck in rehab for at least 6 months and prognosis is that he will regain most movement again. He is very distressed at the idea that his dog wont be well looked after and wont be able to come home when he returns from hospital. The people who have been caring for it since his accident have refused to care for it any longer now they know its a longer term thing and the dog is fretting for his owner.The dog has been in kennels now for a week and both dog and owner are not coping with that.

Trish from Albury Dog Rescue has been fantastic and is helping us to find a foster carer who we will cover for expenses and support over the next 6 months or so to ensure the dog is safe.

Update

The owner is now almost ready to go home.He will be in a wheel chair for a while but is starting to stand now.When he returns home he will have a permanent carer for at least a fair while.

the foster carer - Chris - has been awesome - she has done way over and beyond what is expected and has even taken banjo to the hospital to visit with his owner.

Without her help Banjo may not have been able to wait it out in comfort for the day to come when he can go home and his owner would have had less to look forward to in order to aid his recovery.

Job well done. post-199-1278842448_thumb.jpg

Thank you to Eukanuba too who make it possible for us to feed dogs like Banjo with their generous donations.

Edited by Steve

I bet that the thought of Banjo waiting for him to come home gave the poor guy the encouragement and fighting spirit to get through his tragedy :shrug:

Thank you to all helped this happen, there are some true angels involved in dog rescue :rofl:

I bet that the thought of Banjo waiting for him to come home gave the poor guy the encouragement and fighting spirit to get through his tragedy :shrug:

Thank you to all helped this happen, there are some true angels involved in dog rescue :rofl:

absolutely :D wonderful work!

the foster carer - Chris - has been awesome - she has done way over and beyond what is expected and has even taken banjo to the hospital to visit with his owner.

Without her help Banjo may not have been able to wait it out in comfort for the day to come when he can go home and his owner would have had less to look forward to in order to aid his recovery.

Totally agree that Chris has contributed to Banjo's dad's recovery. It's on record, via studies here , that there were measurable health benefits of being visited by dogs.....when in a nursing home. Just imagine how those benefits would be ramped up....if you were in hospital....& it was your own dog that came to visit. ;) Huge kudos to Chris for making this happen for Banjo & his dad. :laugh:

I spoke with Chris on the weekend and she was telling me about the first time that she took Banjo to see his Dad. Apparently Banjo had been very, very quiet at her house and not overly interested in much. She took him in to see his Dad who called him and Banjo suddenly turned into a very, very animated dog. He leapt all over his owner and then looked at him as if to say "Okay Dad, you're here, I've found you, lets go home". Apparently from that visit he has been a different dog who is again enthusiastic about everything in this world.

Banjo's owner had apparently said to someone only the week before his accident that there were two things he was proud of in his life - one was his house and the other was Banjo. It would have been an absolute tragedy if at such a bad point in his life he'd lost the only family he has.

Chris is an amazing woman - everything she and her OH do is done above and beyond the call of duty. She makes the world a wonderful place.

never ever doubt that there are angels who walk amongst us!

i strongly suspect that Chris and her Oh are two.

the legacy of such deeds goes well beyond what is visible on the surface... they affect the soul

thank you from the bottom of my heart

H

I spoke with Chris on the weekend and she was telling me about the first time that she took Banjo to see his Dad. Apparently Banjo had been very, very quiet at her house and not overly interested in much. She took him in to see his Dad who called him and Banjo suddenly turned into a very, very animated dog. He leapt all over his owner and then looked at him as if to say "Okay Dad, you're here, I've found you, lets go home". Apparently from that visit he has been a different dog who is again enthusiastic about everything in this world.

Banjo's owner had apparently said to someone only the week before his accident that there were two things he was proud of in his life - one was his house and the other was Banjo. It would have been an absolute tragedy if at such a bad point in his life he'd lost the only family he has.

Chris is an amazing woman - everything she and her OH do is done above and beyond the call of duty. She makes the world a wonderful place.

Trish

Life was feeling a little tough tonight - then some dear friends made me feel very special and yours and Steves reports on these special people and Banjo - have restored a flagging spirit and kicked my butt back to where it belongs with a good dose of humbleness.Please pass on my and everyone elses admiration and appreciation to Chris and her partner, and if you see Banjo give him a hug from me.That young man has so much to face and now he has a mate to face it with him - sounds like they have a very special bond.Heartwarming stuff on a cold winters night.