19yr Old Intentionally Hits Swan On His Jetski

Clyde

I just saw the video on the news, it was just awful :shrug:

http://www.news.com.au/national/jet-ski-ri...r-1225978015434

A JET ski rider has been charged after allegedly being caught on video deliberately running down a black swan in a Gold Coast canal.

The 19-year-old from Mudgeeraba has been charged with animal cruelty after allegedly running over the bird with his jet ski on a Mermaid Waters canal around 1pm (AEST) on Boxing Day.

Senior vet at Currumbin Wildlife animal hospital Michael Pyne said today the swan suffered horrific injuries and a broken wing, but there was a reasonable chance it would survive.

"As I understand it, the jet ski had three attempts at hitting the swan and people on the shore saw it happening and had time to get their video camera out and start filming it," he said.

"I'm not 100 per cent sure it will live, but its appetite's improving day by day but she's been pretty knocked around so I still wouldn't want to say it's definitely going to live yet, but I'm feeling confident, certainly."

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage

* Trapped: Albino kangaroo

* Jet skier 'runs over black swan' Courier Mail, 10 hours ago

* Jet ski terror on the water The Daily Telegraph, 2 days ago

* Jet-ski rider injured in Swan River crash Perth Now, 4 days ago

* Foot severed in jet ski mishap Courier Mail, 27 Nov 2010

* Mitchell fined over stolen jet-ski Perth Now, 23 Nov 2010

Mr Pyne said the swan was heavily bruised and was being given heavy pain relief medication, and if the wing hadn't taken the brunt of the impact it probably wouldn't have survived.

"It's taken off all the feathers, skin, muscle and ligaments - down to the bones of the joint," he said.

"The problem is that the ligaments on the outside of the joint have been stripped off which makes the joint very unstable and if it's still unstable in a couple of weeks time we're going to have to look at fusing the bones of the joint together.

"It should be able to fly, but not well, however swans can get away with that because they really only float around and only fly to get from one waterway to another and generally the waterway they come from is their territory and we'll look at releasing her back there."

The teenager is due to appear in Southport Magistrates Court on on January 21.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/jet-ski-ri...4#ixzz19U1xKQU8

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was determined he was going to get the swan and was happy when he did. I would like to see that same person in the middle of a water way

with a boat coming straight for him and see what his thoughts are. But at least he has been caught, be interesting to see if he gets a good fine

or just a slap on the wrist like most cruelty cases that go to court. I hope Karma pays him back.

Marion01

He was determined he was going to get the swan and was happy when he did. I would like to see that same person in the middle of a water way

with a boat coming straight for him and see what his thoughts are. But at least he has been caught, be interesting to see if he gets a good fine

or just a slap on the wrist like most cruelty cases that go to court. I hope Karma pays him back.

Marion01

I thought the same thing, put him out in the middle and run him over with a jet ski and then see who is laughing. Mongrel

sell his jet ski to pay for the vet bills for starters,ban him from ever driving one for life ,parade him down the middle of surfers with a sandwich board on newyears eve when theres heaps of people around who just might want to take revenge for the swan.comunity service cleaning out cages at shelters anything to humiliate the scum.

I hope they lock him up for a while and when he comes out give him some community service working with camels or donkeys for a few years - both have a wonderful knack of sensing who is mean to animals, and they remember them .... and they pay out .. big time. Kick. Bite. Spit. He deserves it all.

Hope the court orders that the jet ski be confiscated and sold, no matter who owns it. Proceeds of sale can go to a bird sanctuary.

Souff

HAven't seen the footage thankfully.

His jet ski should be sold and the money donated after expenses fort eh birds treatment are taken out.

If he can happily do that, wonder what else he's happy to do. It is quite chilling to think that people like that live in our community.