My Poor Beagle

huski

Daisy went in to have a sebaceous cyst removed from just above her back paw on Thursday. Yesterday (day after the op) she had to be rushed to the vet because her paw had swollen ten times it's normal size in a short period of time. The vet took the bandage off as it had become quite tight which is what they thought had caused it to swell. They bandaged it back up loosely, gave her some pain killers and sent her home.

She seemed fine last night and wasn't irritated by the paw at all, I just took her back to the vet to have the paw checked and bandage changed and as soon the bandage came off she went nuts, the paw was still completely swollen and hadn't gone down at all since yesterday. It was the most awful thing I've ever seen, it was hard to believe it was real her paw was so huge and red.

I had to leave her there, they are taking out her stitches or something to check something with the vein that they think might have pressure on it from the surgery (I was so upset I am having trouble remembering exactly what he said).

I'll know in a couple of hours if there's been any improvement :laugh: please cross your fingers and paws for my little baby.

Edited by huski

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not been able to stop crying since I left her at the vets, she was so distressed about it once the bandage came off, I am so worried about her and I'm scared about what might happen to her paw, it's been swollen for more than 24 hrs now :laugh:

I have not been able to stop crying since I left her at the vets, she was so distressed about it once the bandage came off, I am so worried about her and I'm scared about what might happen to her paw, it's been swollen for more than 24 hrs now :laugh:

Poor Daisy, the vets should have put a layer of cotton wool between her leg and the bandage, they do it with horses for the very reason that if it swells there is room for expansion. Hope Daisy is ok - hugs

Thanks everyone :laugh:

Mason, they did have a layer of cotton between her leg and the bandage, sorry I'm probably not making much sense at the moment. I don't think it's swollen anymore since it was when she was rushed to the vet yesterday, but it definitely hasn't decreased at all either. Though it would be hard to imagine it being any bigger than it is now. I can't even describe how awful it looks.

Edited by huski

So sorry to hear this. I know how it feels to have a dog treated for something...then the very treatment itself causes a bigger problem.

Sending healing vibes Daisy's way.

Mason, thanks for that info. Makes good sense. Very handy to know.

When we had out rabbits desexed, the male suffered some EXTREME swelling. His poor little sacks looked like plums - they were so tight and red and hard. :laugh: Anyway, he made a full recovery with no dramas after that. Hopefully Daisy is the same. :rofl:

So sorry to hear this. I know how it feels to have a dog treated for something...then the very treatment itself causes a bigger problem.

Sending healing vibes Daisy's way.

Mason, thanks for that info. Makes good sense. Very handy to know.

They mainly do it with horses as they worry about bowed tendons, loads of horses have had problems because people dont bandage with a layer of cotton first, and maybe even 2 or 3 layers depending on how thick the cotton is.

Poor Daisy, I hope she is home safe and on the road to recovery soon.

One of my guys had a foot swelling that took 3 days to even start to reduce after bandage was removed and all good now.

I had a finger op once to neaten up the tip after I accidently chopped off about a cm of it. Got absolutely horrendous swelling, one of the most grotesque things I have seen (and it had to be attached to me, just my luck). Looking at it now you would never know and the op was still successful in improving it both cosmetically and functionality.

It really is incredible what the body will heal from.