Do You Have A Preference For A Certain Colour Within Your Breed ?

aussielover

My breed generally only comes in one colour. :)

Like Kavik, I really prefer black or Sable GSD to the black & tan ones. Just think they're much prettier.

I saw a litter of mals on youtube that were fawn/black and also brindle???

Maybe crossed with a dutch shepherd (is this permtted?) although they called them malinois puppies?

KNPV sometimes cross Malinois and Dutch Shepherds and call the tan ones Mals and the brindles Dutchies :)

Staranais, Mals are on my list but yeah they only come in shades of the same colour so I didn't mention them :laugh:

Edited by Kavik

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My breed generally only comes in one colour. :)

Like Kavik, I really prefer black or Sable GSD to the black & tan ones. Just think they're much prettier.

I saw a litter of mals on youtube that were fawn/black and also brindle???

Maybe crossed with a dutch shepherd (is this permtted?) although they called them malinois puppies?

Depends. KNPV and non-FCI mallies are regularly mixed with dutchies, they are a very very similar breed after all, whereas FCI dogs aren't mixed (or aren't supposed to be!) Not sure if a pure FCI mally x mally breeding could throw a brindle, I guess it could happen. You do get the occasional black mally though, or one with "too much" white - my girl's litter brother had one white sock, for example. No good dog is a bad colour, and mallies are made to work not look pretty (although IMO they are often very pretty!)

ETA, snap, Kavik! :)

Edited by Staranais

I think it's fine to have a 'preference' but that doesn't mean you should select your future dogs based on that.

I don't see why not :shrug: If you're taking it ONLY based on colour when other aspects don't add up (iffy temperament for eg), sure that can be cause for concern. But if you're realistic and can wait for the "right" one in the colour you want and don't expect to make an "order" and expect it to be filled right away, I see no harm in holding out for the colour of your choice.

Sorry, my comment was really blunt! I meant that you should not solely base your decisions on colour.

I have always wanted a heavily marked biscuit and white samoyed and I recently had the chance to get one but in the end I choose the palest puppy in the whole litter because his confirmation and personality impressed me more.

I would say I do have colours I like more but I would never choose a dog based on colour alone.

Yes, I have certain colour preferences with my potential next breeds.

I would prefer a sable and white or black and white pap, a black mini/toy poodle and a fawn and white or brindle and white whippet.

But honestly, when the right dog comes along, I won't care about the colour. I'd not make a choice based on colour. I'd not wait for the 'right' dog with the 'right' colour, but I would wait for the 'right' dog no matter the colour.

I don't see the problem with waiting for a colour preference, as long as your other requirements are met as well. I'd only be concerned about it if you were compromising in other areas.

ETA -toy

Edited by Henrietta

I don't care what colour my dogs are (provided it's within the standard). The other characteristics of the dogs are more important to me.

In saying that, I can see a valid reason behind your desire to not get another black tri.

I think it's fine to have a 'preference' but that doesn't mean you should select your future dogs based on that.

This.

In BC's I love black and white, black tri and choc and white. My coat preference is smooth or medium rough. My ear preference is pricked.

I've always loved the look of BC's with lots of white on their face and Quinn certainly has that!

Its weird, for my first BC I had this perfect dog in my head, I had huge preferances towards markings, colour, coat type, ears etc. I got lucky with Quinn, she's like my dream BC. I fell for her white face but didn't know she'd be bi eyed and wasn't sure I liked smooths, plus her father had drop ears and I was so hoping hers would stand up.

But for my next BC I care so much less about what its colour/markings are, I've seen so many dogs I love the look of that arn't typically what I thought I liked.

In Kelpies I prefer fawn and tan or red and tan. Black and tan doesn't appeal to me at all but I have run into quite a few that I would run away with given the chance.

Edited by B-Q

I waited 3 years for my blue or tri colour blue belton English Setter. I then waited another year for my second, only to get tired of waiting and said I'd go with an orange if one was a suitable match to my current boy and myself. Turns out I got the most perfect orange boy and now I am not biased for colour.

I can see why some people prefer a certain colour, and I think it's unfair for people to judge why they have that preference... as a breeder though, I would never be selective about colour unless it came down to two very good dogs of everything fairly equal except colour/markings.

I would, however, expect my puppy buyers to be accepting that they either wait for their colour preference, or they change their minds, if there is a particular dog more suited to them.

Equally as bad as people having a preference for colour, is the show ring having a preference for colour... for example, Liver, although not a popular colour historically in English Setters, did exist in the line, however the colour is all but disappeared in the UK line of english setters. To me, it is as much about preserving and protecting the whole of the breed, including the colours they are known to come in, whether people like them or not (unless, maybe, they also carried some kind of lethal gene at the same time!)

I have no preference re colour (have 2 black tanpoint, 1 solid cream and 1 black and white with spectacle markings). I have to say, as a breeder while I understand that people have colour preferences, its not like ordering a pizza. It would be a shame to see a lovely puppy with excellent conformation and temperament be passed over because of colour - but it does happen, in many breeds.

I will say, however, that I do have strong preferences in terms of type, but that is related to what I'm looking for in terms of improving on my lines and interpreting the standard. That's a very, very long term project ;)

As a Golden Retriever breeder who makes every attempt to breed sound dogs with excellent temperament, I get very upset with people who reject a puppy cos it's too "brown" or too "white".

This post actually brings up a good point...

What if you knew a certain color would not win as much in the show ring? I know if I were after a show quality GR I would avoid pale colors where possible.

Same as Shih Tzus, solid colors do not do as well as their parti-colored counterparts.

I am really particular about colour and coat type but like Ruby Star mentioned, I am happy to wait until the right dog comes along - both in colour and temp. I will not consider another colour if it's a colour I don't like even if the breeder feels the temp would suit me perfectly. I would rather wait.

Mollipop, I love Goldies but there is no way I would have a 'white' one. I prefer how they used to look, rich and golden.

In my own breed you don't get any choice with colour, there are varying shades and white markings though and while I love all Tollers, a medium-dark red with all the white markings would be my choice over a lighter orange with no white if they were equal elsewhere.

Definately have colour choices in other breeds, and I probably wouldn't take a different colour seeing as I would probably only ever get too own one. I know I would have to wait for the right dog in the right colour but I don't mind.

Edited by tollersowned

I have no interest in chocolate labradors - I really don't find them to be attractive dogs. Yellow was contemplated for a while (they do make the cutest puppies) and I would be perfectly happy to have a yellow lab down the track, but I ended up back at black. Not so much a problem in labradors given the dominance of black and yellow.

As a Golden Retriever breeder who makes every attempt to breed sound dogs with excellent temperament, I get very upset with people who reject a puppy cos it's too "brown" or too "white".

This post actually brings up a good point...

What if you knew a certain color would not win as much in the show ring? I know if I were after a show quality GR I would avoid pale colors where possible.

Same as Shih Tzus, solid colors do not do as well as their parti-colored counterparts.

A very respected goldie breeder did say to me once, try and get colour (I was looking for a show goldie) - NSW judges seem to be very colour biased and don't go for pale colours. Even though it didn't matter to them at all and they do have more cream dogs then gold, they new I'd be fighting an uphill battle with a cream.

Don't worry MP - if you ever want to rehome your white puppy I will take her.... as well as her brother lol

ETA: I'll even take her mother

Edited by GoldenWei

I would love a mantle great dane in the future and am willing to wait for a correctly marked mantle male from the right breeder but if my research (health, temperament, conformation and registered ethical breeder) points to a fawn when the time comes then I will be happy with a fawn. I would prefer a healthy, good looking dane from a great breeder in the "wrong" colour than have a poorly bred mantle from a dodgy breeder.

I have a Mantle...................want him? :laugh: :laugh:

I'm less partial to any particular colour than I used to be. My next Dane will be one bred for health, temperament and conformation, colour will be a long way down the list :)

I would get a JRT for my next dog, and I would insist on rough coat, but for colour I don't think I would care all that much. I prefer tricolor, just because Obi is a rough tricolor, but temperament would be more important.

My breed comes in 7 colours black,blue,fawn,brindle,mantle,harlequin and merle.

I prefer black and blues.

It's like buying a car in a round about kinda way :laugh:

Make - Great Dane.

Options - Health Testing, Registered, Breeder Support.

Model - Conformation Heavy, Light, Tall, Small.

Colour - Black, Blue, Fawn, Brindle, Mantle, Harlequin.

Edited by SwaY

Colour is funny, when i went to pick Atlas out the first thing i said was "oh, i dont want the ugly black one"

Guess who i took home? :laugh: Now to me the only colour for a Bull Terrier is Tri. I am not a huge fan of red Bull Terriers

But saying all that, if the perfect dog came along I would not care what colour it was. Atlas was not my first pick at all, but i am so glad i took him and am totally in love with the colour :)

As for SBTs, I am also not a huge red fan, but it wouldnt stop me owning one if the dog was what i wanted.