What Facinations Do Your Dogs Have?

Sankari

Just thought it would be fun telling others the weird/silly/funny things your dogs are facinated with. Or even things they bring inside :)

Tonight my 6 yr Golden Retriever decided it would be fun to bring a large cricket inside the house and let it loose in my bedroom. Cricket has still not been found... :eek: If it were a moth i wouldnt worry so much. she is rather facinated by bugs, insects etc but wont go near spiders (she thinks like me in the spider department!) We have very few moths around as she eats them :rofl: well actually, catches them kills them with her paw then rips the wings off and leaves the body lying on the floor.

Edited by LucyCharzie

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bugs are generally fascinating, and moths are at the top of the list. I've got nose marks all over my windows. Leave the lights on. The moths and bugs come to the window, and the dogs try to snatch them. If I leave the screen closed and the door or window open, the dogs push out the screen. Mice, rats and gophers are also extremely interesting. If mine catch a moth, rat, mouse, or gopher, they eat it. So this may be food-reward / prey-drive. I caught Bonza yesterday with a spider. Apparently she picked it up and it got out of her mouth . . . it was spinning a thread back down to the floor. Guess spiders don't taste good, or maybe this one had a sting.

Yep love bugs here too.

Barney likes palm fronds, he has to get them out of the garden and has on a few occasions tried to bring them into the house.

Tilly currently has a "boyfriend" a green frog with a bung eye that comes to the door all the time. She likes to let us know he's there by coming and whimpering at us to go look at him, she likes to harass my OH as I think she feels he's more easily swayed. At one point she was asking us to turn the light on so she could see it (scratching and staring at the light switch) she's a smart but insane cookie.

Pippin isn't really fascinated by anything... Bugs are probably it. He's scared of everything else.

Socks. My Rosie loves socks. She is nicknamed Dobbie because she always has a sock either in her mouth or nearby. And she collects any objects as long as they are pink. I can understand the first facination, but not the second. Last Christmas she was given pink fluffy socks. You can imagine the shop assistant who served e face when she tried to tell me why these socks were so good...only to be told there were going to my dog!

Bumblebees, every morning mybilly hunts them down amongst the flower beds catches them then spits them out again when they buzz in his mouth. This goes on and on with the same bumblebee until it manages to escape. To my knowledge no bumblebee has ever been injured, and he has never been bitten.

Dallas is obsessed with band aids. No, it doesn't matter what's underneath it as we've put one on over perfectly OK skin just to see. He just won't stop sniffing and poking them with his nose. Mind you, he notices ANYTHING that's changed - I got a bunchof flowers from work and he was the only dog that noticed :laugh:

Animals on TV.

Ziggy loves it when there are animals on the TV, he stops everything and watches until they are gone...

You should see him with the dog whisperer or even better, the big cat diaries on foxtel..

Also water and mud - if there is water or mud, he has to be in it..

Widget will often bring a frog inside when she goes to bed :( They are not hurt ...she holds them in her mouth ..I don't see them, but see her mouth a bit puffy ... she will spit them out , and I wash them off in clean water before putting them back outside ...... poor frogs .

This week's obsession is the 'Clown Cat'. One of our cats has a sore on her head and we've put a elizabethan collar on her. It's a soft one that looks a bit like a clown collar when it folds back.

All 3 dogs are absolutely fascinated - after a week they still haven't left her alone. Poor little Sassy cat.

Oh where to begin....

For Lili it’s soft fluffy toys, pillows/cushions (she sucks on them :rolleyes: ) and feet…..she is obsessed with feet, if either of us have bare feet she’s straight at them.

Mosley loves bugs, I often see him chasing them outside, very cute, he also loves any type of underwear and bananas.

Bees and flies. They must be caught and disposed of. First you stun them till they drop to the ground. Then you shake them in typical terrier fashion. Then leave their dead bodies to rot.

She is pretty amazing at catching them in flight. Scares the

Hell out of my when she randomly does it on walks. You're standing there talking to someone and she launches at what to mere mortal eyes appears to be nothing at chest height. Teeth bared and clacking. She rarely misses.

Maddie loves seagulls :) No other birds will do it has to be seagulls. You can make her the happiest dog on the planet by taking her to the beach. My other two BCs are both obsessed with pine cones. KC likes to pounce on them and bite them and then angrily tell them off for being so spikey and hurting her mouth. Once she has it properly subdued and chewed down she will carry it for the rest of the walk. I'm pretty sure Gael only likes them because KC finds them so fascinating but she carries them around on walks as well. I can make everyone happy by going on a walk through a pine plantation that leads onto the beach.

Joja has a facination for bird feathers. She will seek then out, once found she carries them around in her mouth for a while then forgets them. She stares at chooks, doesn't run at them, just stands and stares. Hears crickets in the evening and charges out the door to dig them up. Is very happy to jump into any water container.

A malt/shi she is not :confused: , she is a bird dog, water dog, and noise stopperer

post-6277-0-87091400-1330388658_thumb.jpg

Acheron is obsessed with me and balls/toys.

Flash is a JRT so she is obsessed with anything that moves and is smaller than her! She goes nuts over the geckos every night, sitting at the back door crying to be let out so she can hunt them. She is also obsessed with bugs and beetles of all descriptions and is exceptionally good and killing rats/mice. She will also watch animals on TV, especially if they are rodents! Thankfully none of the dogs are interested in frogs or cane toads.