Is There Any Things Said About Your Breed...

Baileys mum

:offtopic: Do Greyhounds have to wear muzzles in VIC? I can't remember ever seeing them with muzzles on down here?

Yep, they do unless they've passed the Greyhound RAcing Vic (GRV) assessment program, and are wearing a green GAP collar. I've actually seen a few greys without muzzles on around here, which don't wear the green collar, so I'm assuming the owners are being naughty..

Just to clarify - the requirement that they wear muzzles is because the legislation considers greyhounds to be "livestock" rather than companion animals, as they're bred to race. That's all :)

Thanks for the clarification, I wasn't aware of that! I have been told many different reasons for the muzzling, including that they have been "blooded" :eek:

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one that takes the cake is "Is he a pitbull?" No he is not, hes a whippet. Followed by "Bet my red nosed pitbull can beat your dog in a fight." :doh:

Yeah? He'd have to catch him first :laugh:

Had a very dominant SBT rush up to my dogs when I was out walking them. I let Howard offlead (we were on an oval). He ran the SBT ragged. :)

I remember being at a dog park and my Aussie was playing with a Whippet, they were doing zoomies and Lili, used to being the quick dog, was trying to catch the Whippet...not a chance, she was yelping as she ran out of frustration :laugh:

:rofl: my friends poodle does that too when ever she plays with joey. :rofl: silly sbt got schooled

Apparently, weims are not intelligent (highly doubt that, and one day i WILL get a longhair weim!)...oh I could go on but it's getting late and I've worked a big day lol. Every breed I mention to mum though has some negative point!

:eek: with that attitude your future LH weim will be outsmarting your mum in no time - they are especially good at manipulating and taking advantage!! :laugh:

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Lots of people ask if we cut his hair like that? (talking about his ridge)

Once we had a lady tell us that he is actually a Vizsla, but he has been bred to have a ridge.....umm ok :confused:

Edited by Alfie02

Apparently, weims are not intelligent (highly doubt that, and one day i WILL get a longhair weim!)...oh I could go on but it's getting late and I've worked a big day lol. Every breed I mention to mum though has some negative point!

:eek: with that attitude your future LH weim will be outsmarting your mum in no time - they are especially good at manipulating and taking advantage!! :laugh:

I have a feeling (from the weims I've met) that they are similar in temprement to dallies, but maybe a bit more velcro-like? Cleo is not a sooky/always with me dog, she likes to know where I am, but will not relax at my feet or on the bed with us.

If my assessment is correct, then yes, mum will be blown away :laugh: bring it on!

Boxer

Is he vicious?

Boxers are really stupid and you can't train them

And they're hyperactive apparently :)

People used to be shocked that I would walk 3 boxers together :laugh:

Yes, the 'hyperactive' tag cracks me up. Mine spends most of the day sleeping. :laugh:

And yes they are stunning aren't they? And very sweet-natured.

Arya (my daughter's Borzoi) has turned me into a massive fan. Alyosha breeding :)

Just about everyone comments on how stunning she is. But I am going off topic because there is no need to correct them.

Yay!! :D I still get excited when we meet a member of the public who knws what they are though! :o

No, my Irish Wolfhound doesn't have a saddle.

No, you can't ride him.

And NO, he's not a horse.

Yeah but how much does he eat mate?

Anyway, my sister's friend's next door neighbour's brother in law had one that was bigger than that.

:bolt:

First you need to ask: "What does he weigh?" so you can mentally add at least 20kgs - then tell everyone how much more huge and awesome your mate's one is...

... Followed by "Bet my red nosed pitbull can beat your dog in a fight." :doh:

Reminds me so much of an old story... :D

Years ago when we moved to a country town our kids were dropped off at the gate by the school bus. Some children from a local (disreputable...) family who kept mixed breed pigdogs pointed out our dog in the yard and asked what it was. My kids replied - "He's an Afghan hound". They had always known him so thought nothing of it.

The only response they got was, "Yeah? Well I bet my dad's dog would beat it in a fight."

My kids came home and asked why anyone would want their dogs to fight?? They were genuinely confused... So cute, in a slightly sad way... :)

Edited by Alyosha

I have noticed people cross the street with their little dog when they see me coming.

I yelled out the other day & said my dog wont eat yours. lol.

No my dog is not a pit bull.

I love my Bull terrier but apart from above I often get asked if they are on the dangerous dog list. WTF my dog licks kids & people to death if given the chance & little furry dogs get a slobbery kiss to if they are lucky & not trying to eat my dog. :)

Bull terriers should come with a warning that their affectionate head butts will break your nose...

But apart from that, some of the nicest friendliest dogs I know.

My cattle dog bitsa has managed to catch a very unfit whippet, she could run for longer and turn tighter circles... Her specialities are the collar grab, and the trip and roll. And with her best friends - lots of bitey face.

And then you get the owners who think their dog - who keeps going back for more - is being beaten up and is unhappy.

Shibas are not the devils dog. So many times on here someone says " I love the look of a shiba but I couldn't handle them" They seem to have this reputation of some half wild devil beast? Yes, they are a half wild devil beast but I don't get the fear.

Yes, they have a high prey drive... so do a lot of terriers.

Yes, they have crap to no recall, so do many hounds

Yes, they can be dominant with other dogs, so can bull breeds

Yes, they can be a pain in the but, mind destroying freaky stress inducing conundrunm on legs that can read your mind and manipulate you before you even think the very thoughts... but so can most spitz breeds.

All the things that seem to turn people off the breed are common dog traits. Knowledge is power. You don't get a shiba to dump it in a back yard, but that goes for any dog.

Labbies have a reputation for bad hips. No one can or should deny that hips can and should be a concern in any larger breed. But look at the OFA database. Labradors don't deserve the bad rap. They are #87 breed on the list, going from worst to best, and have more observations than any other breed. Poodle, a bunch of spaniels, pugs, GSD's, SBT's and various other terriers, and many many other breeds have worse hip score averages.

Most Labbies DO deserve the reputation for being shameless gutsers, though.

I used to walk my black and tan and red and tan dobies together and heard the comment "how could she want a child killer like that (black and tan) and then own a beautiful cross bred like that (red and tan). I wonder what's in her?" Little did they realize it was my black and tan one that was the biggest goofball and would have loved to have played with his kids!!

Of Airedale Terriers -

they are untrainable and stupid. --- No, they are independant thinkers that need to see a reason for doing something

they are savage

I like the long haired variety better than the short

Sheep coats ( an incorrect coat that is the soft undercoat and no hard wiry top coat) have waaaaaay better temperaments than the others. Sadly this from people who porport to be breed experts even though they have never had any involvement with the breed other than own them as pets!

Ho hum

I have noticed people cross the street with their little dog when they see me coming.

I yelled out the other day & said my dog wont eat yours. lol.

No my dog is not a pit bull.

I love my Bull terrier but apart from above I often get asked if they are on the dangerous dog list. WTF my dog licks kids & people to death if given the chance & little furry dogs get a slobbery kiss to if they are lucky & not trying to eat my dog. :)

Is that your dog in the avatar? They are gorgeous!

One note though; one of my dogs had a few.....issues....when we adopted her (small JRT/Foxy type terrier). Number one being extreme reactivity, especially to other dogs. I didn't think it fair to disrupt someone else's walking so would cross the street. I'd have people shout across and give dirty looks as if i were dissing their dog somehow, some used to start to cross saying 'Nothing to be scared of...' Before they'd get part way they would realise why i'd crossed..........Little Girly would bark until she bite her tongue and spat blood, lunge, throw herself to the ground.......(at first this would be her reaction to people, cars, bikes, trees moving in the wind)

After a lot of work she is all good now, very dog social and good at ignoring on the lead. So if someone crosses don't assume they are being judgemental, it may be their little dog that is the problem!

I have two Alaskan Malamutes and often get asked how they cope with the heat in summer and whether I shave them. Most people are fairly receptive when I explain they don't need to be shaved due to their coats insulating them against the heat as well as the cold.

I have two swf's and apparently I should be so lucky that they are small, don't need walking and are lazy. Mmmm my two definately didn't get the memo! They're the busiest dogs I know, always up for a game or walk and run rings around my friends lab and my parents Kelpie.

I'm sure there are lots of low energy swf's but mine aren't.

Oh and also just because they're swf's doesn't mean they don't have manners.

Often get is he a GSD or Alsatian. So far all have been receptive and thankful for the explanation.

Most regular - Oh my gosh he's BIG! Well he is a GSD.

Occasionally - Will he eat me? No he just finished breakfast/lunch/dinner (depending on time)

He must need a lot of exercise. No, he's lazy and obviously didn't read the handbook.

Finally to the one lady who grabbed her child while saying "Nasty dog, mean dog", I tightened the lead and replied "Nasty child, mean child". The look on her face was priceless!!