Would You Encourage This

twodoggies2001

Im more worried that she is giving her dog coffee!

Granted, the OP was just driving past. There could have been anything in the cup.

The OP said coffee in their post and they didnt also seem concerned that it COULD be coffee but instead that theres dog spit on th spoon.

Regardless of what it was, the OP wasnt concerned that it could be coffee, and I was commenting as to thats what I would be worried about.

It's her dog,and she can feed him/her whatever she wants. It's also not so much about dog spit either, although hygiene should play a part. The point is that as I said before, there are many non dog people out there and they would cringe at seeing what she was doing. It's hard enough trying to exercise dogs legally, off leash, (I know, many of you don't like this idea either) without having to have some nitwit add more fuel to the fire to the anti dog people.

seems like there is a dog person or two who are cringing at the thought of having a dog being on it's owner's knee at an outdoor cafe, being fed something off a spoon. :laugh:

Lucky doggy enjoying a nice day out. I'd rather have a bit of dog spit on my spoon then people spit anyday. And no one knows what was really in the cup.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Granted, the OP was just driving past. There could have been anything in the cup.

The OP said coffee in their post and they didnt also seem concerned that it COULD be coffee but instead that theres dog spit on th spoon.

Regardless of what it was, the OP wasnt concerned that it could be coffee, and I was commenting as to thats what I would be worried about.

It's her dog,and she can feed him/her whatever she wants. It's also not so much about dog spit either, although hygiene should play a part. The point is that as I said before, there are many non dog people out there and they would cringe at seeing what she was doing. It's hard enough trying to exercise dogs legally, off leash, (I know, many of you don't like this idea either) without having to have some nitwit add more fuel to the fire to the anti dog people.

seems like there is a dog person or two who are cringing at the thought of having a dog being on it's owner's knee at an outdoor cafe, being fed something off a spoon. :laugh:

Lucky doggy enjoying a nice day out. I'd rather have a bit of dog spit on my spoon then people spit anyday. And no one knows what was really in the cup.

+1

+1

+2

I agree it makes it harder for dog lovers from non dog lovers when people do things like that. Here in brisbane im sure dogs are no longer allowed to sit with their owners at cafes due to OH&S reasons and things like that wouldnt help the cause.

Apart from the unheathly caffeine aspect (which we're not 100% certain it was, anyway), it wouldn't bother me one tiny bit. I often leave a little morsel from my plate to treat our dogs (not while I'm eating, but after I'm finished) and they eat it off my spoon/fork which then goes in the dishwasher.

Had my mother been at the cafe, though, she may well have fallen down dead from the shock and horror of it all..... there's a dog EATING FROM A HUMAN'S PLATE/SPOON HOW DREADFULLY UNHEALTHY AND UNHYGENIC..... THUD!

Apart from the unheathly caffeine aspect (which we're not 100% certain it was, anyway), it wouldn't bother me one tiny bit. I often leave a little morsel from my plate to treat our dogs (not while I'm eating, but after I'm finished) and they eat it off my spoon/fork which then goes in the dishwasher.

Had my mother been at the cafe, though, she may well have fallen down dead from the shock and horror of it all..... there's a dog EATING FROM A HUMAN'S PLATE/SPOON HOW DREADFULLY UNHEALTHY AND UNHYGENIC..... THUD!

:thumbsup: I often put my plate on the floor (at home) for Kenny to finish any scraps, the dishes get washed I don't see the problem, mind you, I never told my visitors, because some might freak out & not want to have a meal at my place. :rofl:

Edited by mantis

But why should dog owners have to change how they interact with their dogs just because it might upset someone else?

No one's being hurt, the dogs not attacking or roaming or being a nuisance.

I fail to see the issue :confused:

If I had seen that it would have made me smile, the bond between owner and dog is lovely and I would have remembered the place, which is clearly dog friendly, to take my own dogs later.

:thumbsup: I often put my plate on the floor (at home) for Kenny to finish any scraps, the dishes get washed I don't see the problem, mind you, I never told my visitors, because some might freak out & not want to have a meal at my place. :rofl:

but we all know now :rofl: I'll confess and join you; my dogs and cats have often cleaned up the plates for me. So clean they don't need to be washed :eek: but I do :rofl: :rofl:

but we all know now :rofl: I'll confess and join you; my dogs and cats have often cleaned up the plates for me. So clean they don't need to be washed :eek: but I do :rofl: :rofl:

My OH and I argue about this all the time. I let them, he doesn't. I'm not supposed to let them but I do when he isn't around :angeldevil:

We saw this all the time when we were in LA, we were at the Farmer's Market Shopping Centre and lots of people had dogs in handbags, at the table,under the table and in one case ON the table. The very blingy young lady next to us had a small dog sharing her meal whilst she was eating, the dog ate from one end of the plate and she ate from the other,nobody batted an eyelid but one of our party had to turn her chair around because she said it made her feel ill.She also left most of her meal because she said all she could think about was a dog licking her plate after licking it's own bum/eating poo blah blah blah.She said it didn't make any difference that she knew the plates were washed,the thought still put her off.

Wouldn't be my choice, but mostly because I don't like my chances of getting any food with our piglets - I don't lick their bowls and I don't let them lick our plates, not because I am worried about germs but I just don't want them to expect it and harass guests who may not be so comfortable with it. I wouldn't give them anything off someone else's plates or cutlery either in case someone took offence, I tend to think people moan enough about dogs in public without giving them any further fuel.

We go to a local cafe where the owners allow dogs at outside tables and will give us water for them, we take water bowls and a food bowl each for them and they get a kanga banga each for brekky, I love that we can take them there and so for purely selfish reasons would be annoyed if someone did something that might jeopardise the dogs welcome.

I would've smiled too :)

My own dogs have been known to lick our plates after meals and I occasionally give them food off a fork or spoon. This is their house and if people find it so offensive then they are free to leave. I am also guilty of sharing the odd ice block too :)

My own dogs have been known to lick our plates after meals and I occasionally give them food off a fork or spoon. This is their house and if people find it so offensive then they are free to leave. I am also guilty of sharing the odd ice block too :)

A dear friend of mine once told me about a dinner guest her OH had brought to their home.

She had two dogs, and after dinner she always let the dogs lick the plates before she put them in the dishwasher.

This dinner guest was not a dog person, and when he saw the dogs licking the plates he was shocked.

My friend noticed his attitude, waited until the dogs had licked the plates clean, held the plates up to the light and said, 'hmm, yep, that's sparkling clean now, good job boys.'

Then she put the plate back in the cupboard! The dinner guest nearly fainted, until the OH gave it away by laughing. :laugh:

Seriously, we have come a long way here and it seems that in NSW dogs will soon be permitted on lead at all outside eateries.

I'd hate to see it go backwards because non doggy people get offended by seeing people feeding their dogs from cutlery that is meant for human use.

A dear friend of mine once told me about a dinner guest her OH had brought to their home.

She had two dogs, and after dinner she always let the dogs lick the plates before she put them in the dishwasher.

This dinner guest was not a dog person, and when he saw the dogs licking the plates he was shocked.

My friend noticed his attitude, waited until the dogs had licked the plates clean, held the plates up to the light and said, 'hmm, yep, that's sparkling clean now, good job boys.'

Then she put the plate back in the cupboard! The dinner guest nearly fainted, until the OH gave it away by laughing. :laugh:

Seriously, we have come a long way here and it seems that in NSW dogs will soon be permitted on lead at all outside eateries.

I'd hate to see it go backwards because non doggy people get offended by seeing people feeding their dogs from cutlery that is meant for human use.

:rofl:

OMG, I am SO going to do this next time my Mum comes to visit! She thinks I have gone feral since we moved to large acreage and have eight dogs and two minipigs all living in the house with us. Don't get me wrong, I love her, but we have vastly different ideas on how clean a house needs to be.

Yuck. I would have said something and honestly would never go to that place again.

If you want to feed your dog do it, but use their own bowls.

I have stopped eating at peoples places because they share their plates and forks with the dog, I walked out on my grandfather once because he was sharing an ice cream with his cat.

Makes me sick

It could have been a babychino :) We all know what they are.....just the milk froth in a tiny cup for kids, with a couple of marshmallows on the side.