Leads That Are Comfy To Hold

andrewang

Hey guys,

I'm currently using a $4 lead from K Mart since puppies tend to go through leads rather quickly. Caesar is surprising not that interested in biting his lead so I thought it's about time I upgrade to a slightly more expensive and comfortable one.

Current one I'm using is a simple nylon lead that is painful to hold when the weather is cold and Caesar suddenly bolts.

Caesar is currently doing ok while walking on lead but being just a puppy, tend to rush towards objects that interests him. So holding the loop on my right hand and the middle with my left, when Caesar decides to have a go at something, my left hand will suffer from burns.

Just wondering if anyone has any leads they'll recommend and where to get them. Thicker ones might be better to hold I think?

Cheers

Hey guys,

I'm currently using a $4 lead from K Mart since puppies tend to go through leads rather quickly. Caesar is surprising not that interested in biting his lead so I thought it's about time I upgrade to a slightly more expensive and comfortable one.

Current one I'm using is a simple nylon lead that is painful to hold when the weather is cold and Caesar suddenly bolts.

Caesar is currently doing ok while walking on lead but being just a puppy, tend to rush towards objects that interests him. So holding the loop on my right hand and the middle with my left, when Caesar decides to have a go at something, my left hand will suffer from burns.

Just wondering if anyone has any leads they'll recommend and where to get them. Thicker ones might be better to hold I think?

Cheers

Why do puppies go through leads quickly? :confused: I've had the same one in the whole 18 months I've had my pup, and never had an issue.

I like the ones made out of soft fleecy material. They are soft on the hands, are strong & give a little when the dog suddenly lunges. I got mine from CleanRun, but they are readily available in Oz. I often see them for sale at Agility Trials.

Why do puppies go through leads quickly? :confused: I've had the same one in the whole 18 months I've had my pup, and never had an issue.

I suppose everybody is different but I liked to use a longer, lighter lead when my dogs were puppies. Now being a mastiff x and a SBT, once they got older I changed to a stronger, heavier lead for obvious reasons :laugh:

A friends lab was a chewer and chewed through a couple of leads until she learnt to put them up high!

Another vote for a nice K9 pro leather lead :thumbsup:

Edited by korbin13

The leather ones seem nice but they do look awfully sharp to me, will they really not cut? I like the gripper leash on k9pro, looks pretty comfy to me.

What about bungee leash? They seem like fun leashes but not sure if it's at all a good idea.

Depends what breed dog and personal preference. I am not so keen on leather but mostly due to the weight. I have bought an assorted collection but usually go back to my black dog leads. Nice to hold and good quality.

Edited by ness

I have a few padded leads I got from Petbarn - sturdy too, as my latest addition is a Dane cross and over 35kgs at 8 months old, and she hasn't managed to break them yet either.

They weren't expensive either - around $20-$25...

T.

The leather ones seem nice but they do look awfully sharp to me, will they really not cut? I like the gripper leash on k9pro, looks pretty comfy to me.

Hey Andrewang, they are definitely not 'sharp' :laugh: they are a lot softer and more comfortable to hold than the Gripper leashes, but which you prefer comes down to personal preference. I personally prefer our Syn Tek leashes over Gripper, if I was going to go for something that isn't leather.

The leather leashes have a money back guarantee if you receive it and it doesn't meet your expectations :) but they are super soft from new.

I love the Prestige Pets lead. I love their collars too (just waiting for Murphy to fit into one so that I can get him one) I used them for my last dog - for 13 years and had something very similar for the dog I had before that. Lovely padding on the inside of the handle & they come in varying lengths to suit everyone.

sorry tried to link the page but don't know how. Google Prestige pets padded leashed nylon

One thing I found with leather (from horse riding) is that when the leather gets wet it gets a bit slippery - not sure if the leads are the same.

Lupine brand leashes.

Love them. Buy online- just google for best prices.

Medium size up have padded handles. Thinner ones don't, but still comfy to use.

Lifetime warranty and will replace even if chewed!

I tested this out when one of mine got old and clasp not 100%.

Yes, replaced for cost of postage out only.

Just keep receipt and tag.

I use the K9Pro gripper leash for when the dog is already relatively well trained and does not bolt - and I want to use a longer leash. Not good for a bolter though because once when using it, and the dog bolted my hand got cut and started bleeding. But otherwise a great leash.

When the dogs are still bolty, I really like the black dog smart leads. The fabric is quite soft on the hands.

I was given a Ezy Dog Zero Shock lead by a rep, and I love it! It has the elastic in it which absorbs shock if she pulls all of a sudden but also has a handle near the clip that makes it traffic lead length.

It has neoprene in the handle too which is nicer than nylon!

I'm using leads over 20 yrs old!!!

Yea, I didn't want to invest in something too expensive at first as you never know what a puppy might be up to. Now that I know Caesar meant his leads no harm, I can go ahead and get something fancier, cushiony and more expensive that can last a while.

I was given a Ezy Dog Zero Shock lead by a rep, and I love it! It has the elastic in it which absorbs shock if she pulls all of a sudden but also has a handle near the clip that makes it traffic lead length.

It has neoprene in the handle too which is nicer than nylon!

I just checked it out online and it's way cool. :thumbsup:

Is it easy to control your dogs with these? Caesar's still a baby so he might just bolt when he sees fit, but other times he's ok.