Dog Dragging Bum On Ground

Zoro

My border Collie "Zorro" drags his bum along the ground occasionally. When he was at the vet a while ago I told the vet about it & the vet said that Zorro was just cleaning himself. So I check Zorros bum now & then & if there are any dags there I clean him.

Zorro looks quite healthy down in the bum dept so I think there is no irritation that I can see. Its not a big deal but he is an inside dog & it would be better if he did not do it in the house.

Now are there any other opinions out there about this subject.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get him onto a regular worming schedule if he is not already on one and then I would change vets, so somebody who knows what they are doing can check his anal glands. I can't believe your vet just shrugged that off, anal gland issues can be quite uncomfortable or even painful!

Most dogs that scoot their bums need their anal glands emptied. It's very simple and I'm surprised the vet didn't check them.

Yes. Because one of my small dogs has a history of full anal glands (one time got an infection). Vet told me to watch for that behaviour.

Dory scoots her butt, often.

She is wormed regularly, has had her anal glands checked multiple times with a nil result as far as fullness or infection.

She does get allergies from time to time. And butt scooting often coincides with that.

So it's not always about worms and anal glands.

Agree with this but only a competent vet can tell you if the anal glands need emptying. Its no use increasing fibre if they are already full and he can't express them. Better to get them manually emptied then start a gradual bulking up of the diet.

Then again some dogs just enjoy it :)

She does get allergies from time to time. And butt scooting often coincides with that.

Another yes. We had a little sheltie boy that had allergies. Would scoot. Showed up more as he got into senior years (as did the allergies).

Keep the hair trimmed well away from his bottom too, some long haired dogs will scoot if there's the slightest bit of moisture or if they can feel a dingleberry. Vets can express anal glands, did he have a bit of a feel around to see if they were full?

Dory scoots her butt, often.

She is wormed regularly, has had her anal glands checked multiple times with a nil result as far as fullness or infection.

So it's not always about worms and anal glands.

Agree.

I have a bitch who scoots but she is actually scratching around her vulva, not her bum.

Your vet would have checked the glands and taken into account the issue of worms. If you are concerned return to your vet and speak to him.

Pretty much every dog I rescue from the pound needs their bum done .... I can't believe it when I get another scooter - every time!

I've had people tell me their vets have insisted on selling them worming tablets but the dog kept scooting. I daresay that some vets might just be avoiding a very unpleasant job ...

My Italian Luigi (who's gone now) has legendary status for the worst anal gland explosion ever seen. He had IBD and needed them done every few weeks. I had missed the due date by a month or so - oops .... it was horrendous.

One of my girls had an anal gland so badly compacted the vet struggled to clear.....it was like concrete. She's now taught me how to do it. She wasn't even scooting, just a general health check up picked it up.

So many fun things to do as a pet owner!

One of my dogs scoots when he gets excited. It's kind of embarrassing. He'll meet a new person. He knows he has to sit for pats so he does an extremely desperate sit, staring up with a *please pat me or I'll die* expression on his face - and then he'll scoot :p :o He never scoots at any other time though.