Dog Dragging Bum On Ground

Zoro

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it telling that I actually kind of enjoy doing anal glands? :o Its like that satisfying feeling of squeezing a really good pimple......

Maybe it's also because my sense of smell is practically nonexistent........

Oh, you could be my pugs best friend :rofl:

Lol.

We could do a DOL day, bring your dog for free anal gland expressing...... Prizes for spurty-est, stinkiest, biggest.........

Ahem. I hint I am enjoying myself too much...

*goes sits back in corner *shifty eyes

Where in NSW are you *cough*

Max's are pretty good, she would win a prize for best random anal gland expression (you know, big drip on my shirt, that require the item of clothing being burnt and me soaking in a bath for a year straight), but I can't stay in the room when the vet does them so I can't comment on the intentional expressing :laugh:

Foxy did huge one on my lap once... I was wearing shorts so she got it all over my bare legs... Needless to say I nearly passed out and being big dog it was pretty much a puddle. In that first second before the stench hit me I thought she peed on me...

Dory scoots her butt, often.

She is wormed regularly, has had her anal glands checked multiple times with a nil result as far as fullness or infection.

She does get allergies from time to time. And butt scooting often coincides with that.

So it's not always about worms and anal glands.

I have a scooter here too and get her checked out every single time I take her to the vet. She doesn't have worms or full anal glands but does it every time she does a poo (with the exception of when we're on an on lead walk). Vet has put it down to either a bit of hair perhaps touches her there which tickles so she itches it (she is long haired) or she just likes to clean herself.

Last Sunday morning though I let her out and went back to bed. I woke up to seeing her head slide past the bed leaving a poo slide mark on the carpet. Got up to find one on two other carpets and two more in the hallway. She had tried to clean her dangleberry off inside... Ewwww!! Definitely time for a haircut!!

This entire thread :rofl:

I too am a weirdo who kinda enjoys the satisfaction of emptying full anal glands :o Carl's need doing every couple of weeks, or else he 'leaks'...and he sleeps in my bed. :eek: It's such an easy thing to learn to do, though. I just do it when he has a bath, no mess, (almost) no smell!

Lacey ended up with her anal gland so full it compacted and turned into an abscess which burst , the blood dripped onto the floor ... It was gross :/ she had only started scooting a couple of days before and it happened on a holiday weekend the day before we were due to go away.

That was over 2 years ago and it hasnt happened again.

I used to work with a vet who did the anal gland no matter why you were there. I swear he went through a box of gloves a day! It used to confuse the owners, he would go 'what are you in for? Vaccination? I'll just do his anal gland first', 'eye infection? Yes I'll need to do his anal gland', 'you just popped in to get frontline? I better do his anal glands then'....it was just odd. :laugh:

I used to work with a vet who did the anal gland no matter why you were there. I swear he went through a box of gloves a day! It used to confuse the owners, he would go 'what are you in for? Vaccination? I'll just do his anal gland first', 'eye infection? Yes I'll need to do his anal gland', 'you just popped in to get frontline? I better do his anal glands then'....it was just odd. :laugh:

That wouldn't be nice for the dogs. Many dogs don't need to get their anal glands done. Our dogs get checked every year and they've never had to get their anal glands emptied.

That wouldn't be nice for the dogs. Many dogs don't need to get their anal glands done. Our dogs get checked every year and they've never had to get their anal glands emptied.

Yes, it's a little over zealous. AG problems are more common as an issue in small breeds. With the latest 2 dogs I've rescue (I've had one for 4 months) - both were very neglected and their anal glands are presenting as a regular issue - we don't know if it's going to get better. I can't rehome until I know if it's going to get better. One of them had very full glands, my vet thought they'd never been done. We are doing the supplements but she's had to go back again after only 3 weeks.

With the other dog, he'd suffered years of neglect - most likely in a puppy farm type situation, he has other issues too - health and behavioural - although he's quite young. I'm giving it 6 months to see if I can improve in every area otherwise he's going to have to stay!

Should not have read this thread!!!

Elsie scoots when she has eaten lots of grass and can't poop it out, thankfully I can always tell by the way she is walking what she is about to do, so send her outside to take care of it on the lawn!

• 2 months later...

One of the vets told me that crunching up bone in the diet, helps. But my dogs are only little & we've had a couple of nasty incidents with crunching bone that got stuck in gullets (expensive trip to vet emergency). She then told me to look for foods that have bonemeal in them ... that is, the already crunched up bone.

But one of my smallies still has a tendency for anal glands to get full.

It seems our cat is a rare case. She also gets full anal glands.... & I can always tell, because she'll suddenly stop eating (& she eats like a horse). The vet said it's rare in a cat, but can happen.

ADDED: Found a reference from a vet (who used to be pres of the US Humane Society).

He mentions bonemeal to help bulk up the stools which then helps the anal glands. He also mentions a teaspoon of psyllium (another vet told me about that, too):

http://drfoxvet.com/Library/qanda/post/2011/02/07/My-neutered-corgi-mix-has-been.aspx

Edited by mita