Am I The Only One?

Salukifan

I really don't see the problem, there are more important things in life to worry about than someone calling their dog a fur baby. I have already raised a family of human kids, so now my two are my fur kids. I really don't have a problem with that :) It's an endearing term & has love & feeling behind it IMO.

ETA...sometimes I just call them my "Billy Lids" is there a problem with that as well :confused:

Edited by sheena

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not overly fussed about people using it. I do cringe when it's used it that sicky sweet way and you can tell the dog really isn't treated like a dog. I don't use it myself. Although I did drop it once in a conversation and gave myself a stern talking to. I was refering to someone elses dog at the time...not mine.

Around here they are, 'the dogs' collectively or their names individually. The cats are 'the cats'. Have been known to whisper in my dogs ears that as I paid for them, that makes them 'my bitches'. Although I think that's a bit of a misnomer, cos most day I feel like i'm theirs. :laugh:

I'm actually more worried I'm going to end up treating our baby like i do the dogs O.o

*click, milk*

I'd only start to worry if you take bub for immunisation and before you realise it you're sitting at the vets.

Edited by HazyWal

No I don't like it either - I would've deleted that email too. Do not like the term furkids.

On a similar note I know dog friends who call themselves their dog's mum etc too, I don't care if they do it each to their own and some of them are DOLers and already know how I feel about this :laugh: ) - but I personally don't - I am not their parent - they are my pets.

Sometimes I have to pick up my bosses dog from chemo and they buzz the nurses and say 'Max's mum is here!' and it annoys me - firstly because he's not even my dog and secondly because if he was that still wouldn't make me his mum! :p

No I don't like it either - I would've deleted that email too. Do not like the term furkids.

On a similar note I know dog friends who call themselves their dog's mum etc too, I don't care if they do it each to their own and some of them are DOLers and already know how I feel about this :laugh: ) - but I personally don't - I am not their parent - they are my pets.

Sometimes I have to pick up my bosses dog from chemo and they buzz the nurses and say 'Max's mum is here!' and it annoys me - firstly because he's not even my dog and secondly because if he was that still wouldn't make me his mum! :p

The only time I call people "whateverdogs mum" is when talking about people at the dog park, as I've known them all for about two years but don't actually know the humans names, only the dogs name, so call them "Macy's mum" or whatever :laugh:

I already said I call Scottie my fur child and I fessed up to asking the boss where his was the other day but that said I wouldn't like someone I didn't know or a company to refer to my dog as my fur child.

I think its a term of endearment and if I were addressing someone I didn't know about their dog I would ask about "their dog" in much the same way I would expect the vet or the pet shop to enquire about my dog, not my fur baby and I sure as heck would never expect to have someone refer to my husband as "snookums" (for the record that isn't my term of endearment for hubby)...

I'm actually more worried I'm going to end up treating our baby like i do the dogs O.o

*click, milk*

I'd only start to worry if you take bub for immunisation and before you realise it you're sitting at the vets.

I can't tell you how many times I've taken the girlchild to the doc and said 'look, I think she's fine, but if she was a puppy I would take her to the vet'

Or the shocked looks you get when you offer advice to a friend with a kid and finish it with 'I dunno, it works for dogs'

Or my personal favourite was when she was at gymnastics a few months ago and rolling over on the mats and her teacher said to me 'wow she's really good at rolling' and I said 'yeah I was out in the yard with the dogs doing some training last night. I told bear to roll over, then doof to roll over, then I looked over at the girlchild and she rolled over so I told her she was a good girl and repeated it' :rofl:

And then come those special days where she forgets she isn't a dog and puts her hands behind her back while eating dinner 'like bear'

She also uses the dog door instead of the back door....

I use the term furkid every now and then, I don't have human kids yet and my dogs are the light of my life (other than my husband) and to me, they are as important as human children will be to me. I don't baby them or anthropomorphise though. I also call Cleo Cle-Flea, Fleo, and Bubba. I realized at agility the other night that I call her Bubba more than Cleo when I coax her along.... :eek:

Collectively though, I call them "The Spots" now, and my mum calls them her "spotty grandkids".

Doesn't particularly bother me but what REALLY annoys me is when people contact me looking for a "new puppy" or "puppydog".

I could be forgiven for thinking they want a puppy but no, that's their cutesie name for a rescue dog and I usually end up saying "so you actually want a dog, not a puppy?"

Edited by dogmad

It's a bit awkward now she's talking and was found yelling across the playground at her friends today '(insert friends name) COME!' then when her friend came over she got told to sit. I think it's hilarious but it seems to be worrying the other grown ups :confused:

OK, I admit that I haven't read all the 3 pages of posts but I will admit to calling the dogs "the kids" and bragging about how our nest is empty but our kennels are full.

The human kids left home years ago, and now we have 3 dogs that we refer to as "the kids".

But the term is a bit of a joke and we do not think that our dogs are furry, four legged kid substitutes. That is just anthropomorphism and an insult to our dogs.

Dogs are way better than kids, and if more people realised this earlier we would not have the human over population problem that our world suffers from.

ricey